fully backup onto external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sylvia M, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    How do I go about accomplishing...

    I just now bought a Western Digital 160 gb external hard
    drive and want to back up my H.P. 2005 XP Media Center, such
    that I can completely start up and reinstall everything; all start-up
    functions registry, downloads and files so that my C drive gets
    back to normal if all info gets wiped out.

    Yes, I made the 'reinstall' discs, and I regularly back up the files that I
    use and create, ( zip 100s are enough for those, and in some ways more
    versatile than CD-R and DVD RWs)) but I still feel vulnerable when I hear of
    crashes caused by lightening etc. What I want is my backup complete to
    install on a tabula rosa.

    How do I go about accomplishing this?
    I understand that my desktop files can be dragged over, but I'm talking
    about all of "C' and "D"...
    Something about dividing it up?
    Do I need a program to backup my computer to a 160gb external HD?
    Is there a free one that is good?

    Plain-talk please...

    TIA

    Sylvia
    Sylvia M, Jan 21, 2007

  2. Sylvia M

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Sylvia M wrote:
    > How do I go about accomplishing...
    >
    > I just now bought a Western Digital 160 gb external hard
    > drive and want to back up my H.P. 2005 XP Media Center, such
    > that I can completely start up and reinstall everything; all start-up
    > functions registry, downloads and files so that my C drive gets
    > back to normal if all info gets wiped out.
    >
    > Yes, I made the 'reinstall' discs, and I regularly back up the files
    > that I use and create, ( zip 100s are enough for those, and in some
    > ways more versatile than CD-R and DVD RWs)) but I still feel
    > vulnerable when I hear of crashes caused by lightening etc. What I
    > want is my backup complete to install on a tabula rosa.
    >
    > How do I go about accomplishing this?
    > I understand that my desktop files can be dragged over, but I'm
    > talking about all of "C' and "D"...
    > Something about dividing it up?
    > Do I need a program to backup my computer to a 160gb external HD?
    > Is there a free one that is good?

    Free? Not that I'm aware of. Good? Yes. The most discussed options are
    Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image. EMC Retrospect may do that - I've not
    looked close enough. Obviously others exist. Google - two things to look
    for: drive image softare and backup software. Read. Learn. Decide for
    yourself.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 21, 2007

  3. Sylvia M

    Otter Guest

    In news:,
    Sylvia M <> typed:
    > How do I go about accomplishing...
    >
    > I just now bought a Western Digital 160 gb external hard
    > drive and want to back up my H.P. 2005 XP Media Center, such
    > that I can completely start up and reinstall everything; all start-up
    > functions registry, downloads and files so that my C drive gets
    > back to normal if all info gets wiped out.
    >
    > Yes, I made the 'reinstall' discs, and I regularly back up the files
    > that I use and create, ( zip 100s are enough for those, and in some
    > ways more versatile than CD-R and DVD RWs)) but I still feel
    > vulnerable when I hear of crashes caused by lightening etc. What I
    > want is my backup complete to install on a tabula rosa.
    >
    > How do I go about accomplishing this?
    > I understand that my desktop files can be dragged over, but I'm
    > talking about all of "C' and "D"...
    > Something about dividing it up?
    > Do I need a program to backup my computer to a 160gb external HD?
    > Is there a free one that is good?
    >
    > Plain-talk please...

    Google on backup, and partitioning, first. Then you can ask more specific
    questions.

    There are a few free backup programs, and a few non-free that are obtainable
    free.
    Otter, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Sylvia M

    doS Guest

    Use Norton ghost to make a bootable copy on cd or dvd of your c drive.then
    make regular backups of your doscs, pics mp3s etc to the external.I save all
    my important things to an external and then to dvd as time allows.

    doS, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    If I invest in Norton Ghost, why wouldn't I back up C drive to
    the external, as well as partitioning for my docs and pics?
    Wouldn't that enable me to boot up?

    Sylvia M, Jan 21, 2007
  6. Sylvia M

    old man Guest

    You create a Image of the "whole" PC
    Personally I prefer True Image, there is a fully functioning trial at
    Acronis web site

    old man, Jan 21, 2007
  7. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    Thanks O.M., I'm downloading now...Lotza kb's.
    will report back.

    Sylvia M.

    Sylvia M, Jan 22, 2007
  8. Sylvia M

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:50:49 -0800, "WhzzKdd" <> wrote:

    >Sylvia M wrote:
    >> How do I go about accomplishing...
    >>
    >> I just now bought a Western Digital 160 gb external hard
    >> drive and want to back up my H.P. 2005 XP Media Center, such
    >> that I can completely start up and reinstall everything; all start-up
    >> functions registry, downloads and files so that my C drive gets
    >> back to normal if all info gets wiped out.
    >>
    >> Yes, I made the 'reinstall' discs, and I regularly back up the files
    >> that I use and create, ( zip 100s are enough for those, and in some
    >> ways more versatile than CD-R and DVD RWs)) but I still feel
    >> vulnerable when I hear of crashes caused by lightening etc. What I
    >> want is my backup complete to install on a tabula rosa.
    >>
    >> How do I go about accomplishing this?
    >> I understand that my desktop files can be dragged over, but I'm
    >> talking about all of "C' and "D"...
    >> Something about dividing it up?
    >> Do I need a program to backup my computer to a 160gb external HD?
    >> Is there a free one that is good?
    >>

    >Free? Not that I'm aware of. Good? Yes. The most discussed options are
    >Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image. EMC Retrospect may do that - I've not
    >looked close enough. Obviously others exist. Google - two things to look
    >for: drive image softare and backup software. Read. Learn. Decide for
    >yourself.

    Most new hard drives have installation tools that will allow you to clone a
    drive, if that's what the OP's asking. Data Lifeguard 10 (WD) did. So does
    Maxtor (MaxBlast.) Both are free, and both work.

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my
    Mara, Jan 22, 2007
  9. Sylvia M

    doS Guest

    until the trail expires and yur fercked

    doS, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Sylvia M

    doS Guest

    the ext. harddrive is mechanic=subject to failure also

    doS, Jan 22, 2007
  11. Sylvia M

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:50:49 -0800, "WhzzKdd"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sylvia M wrote:
    >>> How do I go about accomplishing...
    >>>
    >>> I just now bought a Western Digital 160 gb external hard
    >>> drive and want to back up my H.P. 2005 XP Media Center, such
    >>> that I can completely start up and reinstall everything; all
    >>> start-up functions registry, downloads and files so that my C drive
    >>> gets
    >>> back to normal if all info gets wiped out.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, I made the 'reinstall' discs, and I regularly back up the files
    >>> that I use and create, ( zip 100s are enough for those, and in some
    >>> ways more versatile than CD-R and DVD RWs)) but I still feel
    >>> vulnerable when I hear of crashes caused by lightening etc. What I
    >>> want is my backup complete to install on a tabula rosa.
    >>>
    >>> How do I go about accomplishing this?
    >>> I understand that my desktop files can be dragged over, but I'm
    >>> talking about all of "C' and "D"...
    >>> Something about dividing it up?
    >>> Do I need a program to backup my computer to a 160gb external HD?
    >>> Is there a free one that is good?
    >>>

    >> Free? Not that I'm aware of. Good? Yes. The most discussed options
    >> are Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image. EMC Retrospect may do that
    >> - I've not looked close enough. Obviously others exist. Google - two
    >> things to look for: drive image softare and backup software. Read.
    >> Learn. Decide for yourself.

    > Most new hard drives have installation tools that will allow you to
    > clone a drive, if that's what the OP's asking. Data Lifeguard 10 (WD)
    > did. So does Maxtor (MaxBlast.) Both are free, and both work.

    True - that will do the initial clone, but subsequent backups would have to
    be manual or handled by alternative software.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 22, 2007
  12. Sylvia M

    Keith Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:18:04 -0800, "Sylvia M"
    <> wrote:

    >How do I go about accomplishing...
    >
    >I just now bought a Western Digital 160 gb external hard
    >drive and want to back up my H.P. 2005 XP Media Center, such
    >that I can completely start up and reinstall everything; all start-up
    >functions registry, downloads and files so that my C drive gets
    >back to normal if all info gets wiped out.
    >
    >Yes, I made the 'reinstall' discs, and I regularly back up the files that I
    >use and create, ( zip 100s are enough for those, and in some ways more
    >versatile than CD-R and DVD RWs)) but I still feel vulnerable when I hear of
    >crashes caused by lightening etc. What I want is my backup complete to
    >install on a tabula rosa.
    >
    >How do I go about accomplishing this?
    >I understand that my desktop files can be dragged over, but I'm talking
    >about all of "C' and "D"...
    >Something about dividing it up?
    >Do I need a program to backup my computer to a 160gb external HD?
    >Is there a free one that is good?
    >
    >Plain-talk please...
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Sylvia

    Norton Ghost is your best option for backups and their is good
    telephone support if you need it.
    Keith, Jan 22, 2007
  13. doS wrote:

    > the ext. harddrive is mechanic=subject to failure also

    True, but most probably not at the same time as the working drive.
    Like with cdroms or dvds, for a secure backup one would need two independent
    backup media, stored in different locations.
    Walter Mautner, Jan 22, 2007
  14. Sylvia M

    Peter Guest

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:31:47 GMT, old man wrote:

    > Personally I prefer True Image, there is a fully functioning trial at
    > Acronis web site

    Good point - saw a test recently and Acronis was the better one.
    It can do 'bare metal' recovery - I assume this means it can put the image
    on to a new HD and it'll run.
    --
    Peter.
    If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.
    Peter, Jan 22, 2007
  15. Sylvia M

    olfart Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:31:47 GMT, old man wrote:
    >
    >> Personally I prefer True Image, there is a fully functioning trial at
    >> Acronis web site

    > Good point - saw a test recently and Acronis was the better one.
    > It can do 'bare metal' recovery - I assume this means it can put the image
    > on to a new HD and it'll run.
    > --
    > Peter.
    > If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.

    I've used CasperXP for quite a while. The Smart Clone reduces the time
    needed to make an image and they also have a 30 trial free trial
    olfart, Jan 22, 2007
  16. Sylvia M

    Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > Free? Not that I'm aware of. Good? Yes. The most discussed options are
    > Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image. EMC Retrospect may do that - I've not
    > looked close enough. Obviously others exist. Google - two things to look
    > for: drive image softare and backup software. Read. Learn. Decide for
    > yourself.

    I use Retrospect all the time and it backs up flawlessly. Had many
    problems with Acronis and failed backups and don't install anything by
    Norton anymore, but never a dud with Retrospect.
    , Jan 23, 2007
  17. Sylvia M

    Guest

    On 23 ñÎ×., 04:41, wrote:
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    > > Free? Not that I'm aware of. Good? Yes. The most discussed options are
    > > Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image. EMC Retrospect may do that - I've not
    > > looked close enough. Obviously others exist. Google - two things to look
    > > for: drive image softare andbackupsoftware. Read. Learn. Decide for
    > > yourself.I use Retrospect all the time and it backs up flawlessly. Had many

    > problems with Acronis and failed backups and don't install anything by
    > Norton anymore, but never a dud with Retrospect.

    Have no expirience with Retrospect but have troubles with Acronis too.
    I prefer Paragon Drive Backup. Once I used their trial version (30
    days) of Drive Backup and was pleased with it. Now I use the full one.
    Here
    http://www.drive-backup.com/
    you can try it.
    , Jan 26, 2007