    And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.

    What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
    Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

    C. Montgomery Burns, Dec 20, 2003

  2. C. Montgomery Burns

    Rich Clark Guest

    "C. Montgomery Burns" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
    > screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence they will no
    > longer be considered full screen. They will have black bars on the SIDES
    > of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
    >
    > And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.
    >
    > What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
    > Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

    Why can't they just put a picture on the box, showing a 16:9 rectangle with
    a representation inside it of how the image on the disc is formatted?

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 20, 2003

  3. C. Montgomery Burns

    Stan Brown Guest

    Re: Fullscreen will have to change its name soon

    In article <td0Fb.12314$>
    in alt.video.dvd, C. Montgomery Burns wrote:
    >Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
    >screen" DVD versions ... will have black bars on the SIDES
    >of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
    >
    >What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
    >Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

    "Standard", of course.

    (ducks and runs for exit)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Dec 20, 2003
  4. "Rich Clark" <> wrote in

    > "C. Montgomery Burns" <> wrote in message
    >> What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
    >> Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

    > Why can't they just put a picture on the box, showing a 16:9 rectangle
    > with a representation inside it of how the image on the disc is
    > formatted?
    >
    > RichC

    Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
    answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
    few years? Just a picture just won't cut it. We need a name for the
    format.

    C.M. Burns

    Release the hounds, Smithers.

    C. Montgomery Burns, Dec 20, 2003
  5. C. Montgomery Burns

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > In article <td0Fb.12314$>
    > in alt.video.dvd, C. Montgomery Burns wrote:
    > >Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
    > >screen" DVD versions ... will have black bars on the SIDES
    > >of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
    > >
    > >What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
    > >Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

    > "Standard", of course.

    Retro.

    Mark Jones, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Re: Fullscreen will have to change its name soon

    Stan Brown <> wrote in

    > In article <td0Fb.12314$>
    > in alt.video.dvd, C. Montgomery Burns wrote:
    >>Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
    >>screen" DVD versions ... will have black bars on the SIDES
    >>of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
    >>
    >>What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
    >>Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

    > "Standard", of course.
    >
    > (ducks and runs for exit)

    Thank you for your response, Mr. Brown. However "Standard" seems to me to
    be a bit ambiguous as to its meaning. For some, "Widescreen" is the
    standard.

    Smithers, release the hounds.

    C. Montgomery Burns, Dec 20, 2003
  7. C. Montgomery Burns

    Ken W. Guest

    > Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold, the "Full
    > screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence they will no
    > longer be considered full screen. They will have black bars on the SIDES
    > of the widescreen TVs when played on one.
    >
    > And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.
    >
    > What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years? Open Matte?
    > Cropped? Pan-and-Scan?

    "Wal-Mart" version or "Hillbilly" version

    Ken W., Dec 20, 2003
  8. C. Montgomery Burns

    > Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
    > answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
    > few years? Just a picture just won't cut it. We need a name for the
    > format.

    Why? And if so, "4:3" is a perfectly good name.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 20, 2003
  9. C. Montgomery Burns

    fRED Guest

    > > Yes, with all the widescreen televisions being made and sold,

    I still don't know a single person that owns one. Yes I see them in the
    stores, but don't know of any friends, relatives, or coworkers that buy any of
    them.

    > the "Full
    > > screen" DVD versions will no longer fill the screen and hence they will no
    > > longer be considered full screen.

    Newsflash... Even widescreen movies don't fill the screens on widescreen
    tvs! You STILL see black bars because there is no standard widescreen
    dimensions. Everytime I see a movie being played on a store's widescreen
    TVs, I still see black bars and people asking why and laughing.

    > They will have black bars on the SIDES
    > > of the widescreen TVs when played on one.

    Best way to solve that, is to stay with normal standard broadcast television
    sets and normal fullscreen video, like that on all the networks and broadcast
    stations. Thank god CNN has not started putting black bars over their video,
    yet many of the commercials I now see DO have the bars and I can't figure out
    why, other than people think the bars are COOL and MTV-like and feel they need
    to put them on commercials now. Commercials that were never intended to be
    shown on theater screens.

    > > And soon the widescreen DVDs will truly be the Fullscreen versions.

    Never. Go to a store that sells widescreen TVs and have them play a widescreen
    DVD on it and pay attention to those big black bars! They are still
    there! Doh!

    > > What are they going to call Fullscreen in a few years?

    Standard. HDTV and widescreen will go the way of quad and AM stereo. No
    one is going to replace every set in their house with sets that cost thousands
    of dollars. Then there is the cost of replacing every VCR since they are not
    HDTV compatible and will not record anything. Every household spending a
    half a million dollars to convert to the new system? Not going to happen.

    Going from black and white to color was ok, because you didn't have to replace
    your existing B&W set to continue watching. You had decades to wait and get a
    color set. Same when FM went to stereo, you can STILL use your old mono
    radios to receive the broadcasts. But with digital television, you can NOT
    watch the broadcasts on your existing sets, thus either every single household
    in the nation has to immediately go out and buy all new equipment, or not be
    able to watch television anymore. THAT was the mistake, and why digital
    television will NEVER REPLACE analog television. It might be able to live
    along side it, like FM lived along side AM, but just as AM was never replaced by
    FM or UHF never replaced VHF, Analog TV with the standard 3:4 ratio screen will
    ALWAYS be with us, just like AM radio is still with us and still strong.

    The day widescreen TVs replace fullscreen and no one has a standard fullscreen
    3:4 tv set anymore, is the day that no one has any AM radios anymore.

    fRED, Dec 20, 2003
  10. C. Montgomery Burns

    fRED Guest

    > Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
    > answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
    > few years?

    What was AM called in a few years after FM came? What was VHF called in a
    few years after UHF came along?

    Why do you think the name is going to change?

    Keep in mind that most widescreen movies don't fill the screen of widescreen
    TVs, there are STILL black bars. Go to a store and check. I love
    pointing that out to the salesman loudly so all the customers can hear, then
    they all look at the expensive widescreen set with the widescreen DVD playing
    and say: "Hey yeah! Why are there still black bars? Guess there is no
    reason to buy one of those sets then, we already get that now on our regular
    sets!" And then they all go away laughing and the salesman gets pissed and
    turns off the widescreen set and turns on a regular set and plays a fullscreen
    DVD.

    Live and learn.

    fRED, Dec 20, 2003
  11. C. Montgomery Burns

    Richard C. Guest

    Beware of alt.radio.pirate followups in header

    Richard C., Dec 20, 2003
  12. C. Montgomery Burns

    Jim Fraas Guest

    How about "fucked up" ? :)

    --
    There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
    It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.

    Jim Fraas, Dec 20, 2003
  13. >Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. RichC, however you have failed to
    >answer the original question posed. What will "Fullscreen" be called in a
    >few years? Just a picture just won't cut it. We need a name for the
    >format.
    >
    >C.M. Burns

    Personally, I perfer the "Zimmerman Presentation"! <grin>
    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    MarkZimmerman, Dec 20, 2003
  14. C. Montgomery Burns

    fRED Guest

    Re: Fullscreen will have to change its name soon

    > Thank you for your response, Mr. Brown. However "Standard" seems to me to
    > be a bit ambiguous as to its meaning. For some, "Widescreen" is the
    > standard.

    When you say the "STANDARD broadcast band" you are talking about AM radio.

    FM never replaced it, nor will XM. The big bucks and highest rated shows
    are on AM.

    Learn from history, it tends to repeat itself.

    fRED, Dec 20, 2003
  15. C. Montgomery Burns

    3W Guest

    "fRED" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I love
    > pointing that out to the salesman loudly so all the customers can hear,

    then
    > they all look at the expensive widescreen set with the widescreen DVD

    playing
    > and say: "Hey yeah! Why are there still black bars? Guess there is no
    > reason to buy one of those sets then, we already get that now on our

    regular
    > sets!" And then they all go away laughing and the salesman gets pissed

    and
    > turns off the widescreen set and turns on a regular set and plays a

    fullscreen
    > DVD.

    Now that's really funny.

    3W, Dec 20, 2003
  16. C. Montgomery Burns

    Ollie T Guest

    ""Wal-Mart" version"

    I actually get many of my widescreen DVD's from Wal-Mart now that they price
    their new releases similar to BestBuy's. The Wal-Mart over here also has a
    suprising amount of 16:9 HDTV's for sale.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ollie T, Dec 20, 2003
  17. C. Montgomery Burns

    ky Guest

    Re: Fullscreen will have to change its name soon

    I vote: "Narrowscreen"

    ky, Dec 21, 2003
  18. C. Montgomery Burns

    Mark Jones Guest

    "fRED" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > Thank you for your response, Mr. Brown. However "Standard" seems to me

    > > be a bit ambiguous as to its meaning. For some, "Widescreen" is the
    > > standard.

    > When you say the "STANDARD broadcast band" you are talking about AM

    radio.

    > FM never replaced it, nor will XM. The big bucks and highest rated

    shows
    > are on AM.
    >
    > Learn from history, it tends to repeat itself.

    I haven't listened to anything on AM in quite a few years.
    There is no reason why I would want to.

    Mark Jones, Dec 21, 2003
  19. C. Montgomery Burns

    Mark Jones Guest

    "fRED" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Keep in mind that most widescreen movies don't fill the screen of

    widescreen
    > TVs, there are STILL black bars. Go to a store and check. I love
    > pointing that out to the salesman loudly so all the customers can hear,

    then
    > they all look at the expensive widescreen set with the widescreen DVD

    playing
    > and say: "Hey yeah! Why are there still black bars? Guess there is no
    > reason to buy one of those sets then, we already get that now on our

    regular
    > sets!" And then they all go away laughing and the salesman gets pissed

    and
    > turns off the widescreen set and turns on a regular set and plays a

    fullscreen
    > DVD.

    The salesman smiled when I paid the money for my HDTV.
    Black bars on a 16:9 TV are not a problem. I want to see movies
    presented as close as possible to the theater experience. This
    means that original aspect ratio is what I want to see.

    You must encounter some real dimwits in the stores you go to
    if they do not have any idea that there are several different
    ratios used in the making of movies.

    Mark Jones, Dec 21, 2003
  20. C. Montgomery Burns

    fRED Guest

    > "fRED" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > Keep in mind that most widescreen movies don't fill the screen of

    > widescreen
    > > TVs, there are STILL black bars. Go to a store and check. I love
    > > pointing that out to the salesman loudly so all the customers can hear,

    > then
    > > they all look at the expensive widescreen set with the widescreen DVD

    > playing
    > > and say: "Hey yeah! Why are there still black bars? Guess there is no
    > > reason to buy one of those sets then, we already get that now on our

    > regular
    > > sets!" And then they all go away laughing and the salesman gets pissed

    > and
    > > turns off the widescreen set and turns on a regular set and plays a

    > fullscreen
    > > DVD.

    > The salesman smiled when I paid the money for my HDTV.

    No shit Sherlock! Whenever a salesman smiles, someone just got screwed!

    > Black bars on a 16:9 TV are not a problem.

    Then they should not be a problem on a 3:4 tv either, why spend thousands more
    for the same thing? See why the salesman was smiling now? :) Doh!

    > You must encounter some real dimwits in the stores you go to
    > if they do not have any idea that there are several different
    > ratios used in the making of movies.

    Hey, MOST people think Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and dozens of
    body doubles! They aren't going to notice that widescreen TVs have the same
    black bars on them and think getting one will finally rid them of those dreaded
    bars.

    Turns out that Plasma screens get burn-in real bad, when there is no video on
    those black bars and bright video on the rest of the picture for hours on
    end. I had to laugh extra loud when I heard about that. But can you
    feel sorry for people that get duped by salespeople? Of course not.

    fRED, Dec 21, 2003