Full-size DVD cases in batches of 20 (price check)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bruce P. Burrell, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Does anyone know of a better supplier of "decent" (not too flimsy) full-size
    DVD cases - or did I already find the absolute best price of around 50 cents
    in batches of 10 and 20 cases each?

    I googled for where to find DVD cases for less than roughly 50 cents per
    full-size case in quantities of 50 or so and the best I could find on the net
    was http://www.inetdvd.com/store/cases.asp with tax and shipping but at the
    local Fryes I can buy 10 and 20 full-size DVD cases for the same price without
    having to pay shipping so the InetDVD isn't any better or worse than the local
    Fryes ( http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4292864 ).

    I realize these fifty cent prices are for "barely adequate" DVD cases, but,
    for a DVD that is only intended to be shelved as a backup, 50 cent cases
    suffice - but in the interests of frugality, it's always better if we can find
    cheaper cases (I mean, they're just plastic dohickeys that sit on a shelve
    99.99% of their nearly infinite lifetime).

    Did I already find the best price of around $.50 per fullsize DVD case?
     
    Bruce P. Burrell, Jan 23, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <dr188o$>, Bruce P. Burrell
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a better supplier of "decent" (not too
    >flimsy) full-size DVD cases - or did I already find the absolute
    >best price of around 50 cents in batches of 10 and 20 cases each?


    >I googled for where to find DVD cases for less than roughly 50
    >cents per full-size case in quantities of 50 or so and the best I
    >could find on the net was http://www.inetdvd.com/store/cases.asp
    >with tax and shipping but at the local Fryes I can buy 10 and
    >20 full-size DVD cases for the same price without having to pay
    >shipping so the InetDVD isn't any better or worse than the local
    >Fryes ( http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4292864 ).


    >I realize these fifty cent prices are for "barely adequate"
    >DVD cases, but, for a DVD that is only intended to be shelved
    >as a backup, 50 cent cases suffice - but in the interests of
    >frugality, it's always better if we can find cheaper cases (I
    >mean, they're just plastic dohickeys that sit on a shelve 99.99%
    >of their nearly infinite lifetime).


    >Did I already find the best price of around $.50 per fullsize DVD case?


    20 cases at 50 cents each is $10.

    If you have any friends that might want some you can get a case
    0f 100 from Supermediastore.com for $25 - with free shipping.

    That takes you to 25 cents a case. Find some friends and sell
    80 at 40 cents each and you have taken your twenty cases
    down to -$.35 each. A bargain any day of the week :)

    Or sell 80 at 30 cents each, and that brings you final cost
    per case down to 5 cents each.

    I've been using their slim-line double cases - which are rather
    lightweight but two of them let me store 4 dvds in place of one.
    I'm now slowly relabeling the case to get more space.

    This week it's $23 for 100 double slimline with free-shipping.

    They usually have the free shipping as a special ever month or so
    and I wait until those come along.

    And the day I received my last shipment they had a 3-day special
    of $21.50 for 100 shipped free.

    Bill

    [ps - I had to remove the alt.video.dvd.software as that is not
    postable from here - I restored the original links].

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
     
    Bill Vermillion, Jan 23, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <wzVAf.531$>, "fuzzy1" <> wrote:
    >Check out www.CWO.ca for dvd cases. Last price I got was 9.99 for double
    >sided slim line cases per 100 or .10 each. Note that these are in Canadian
    >dollars.


    Thanks for the Canadian supplier - I'm sure they ship to the USA. I prefer the
    full-size because I copy the original covers to get a 98% size backup cover
    printed in my printer scanner.

    These 98% sized covers don't seem to fit right in the slim cases because I
    can't READ the sidewall to tell which movie it is on the shelve.

    The slim cases ARE slim though, so you can fit MORE of them on any given
    shelve.

    Is there a trick to printing DVD covers so they are readable on the slim case
    sidewall? If there is, then we can use slim cases instead of full size.
     
    Bruce P. Burrell, Jan 23, 2006
    #3
  4. In article <>,
    wrote:
    >Well, there is this outfit. They sell at prices from $.80 to $.15
    >depending on volume (plus s&h and tax). I presume there are any number
    >of other stores that sell at comparable prices.
    >http://www.supermediastore.com/100pacstorbo.html
    >
    >Why full sized cases? Why not slim cases, envelopes or binders?


    I copy the original cover and use it to identify the archive that I put on
    the shelve. My scanner printer seems to print at 98% which is OK in the
    full-size DVD covers but in the slim cases, the name of the movie isn't
    readable while the DVD is on the shelve.

    If there was a way to copy the original cover so that the sides were readable
    in a slim case, that would allow the use of slim cases which allows more DVDs
    on any given shelve.

    How do you read the sidewalls on a slim DVD on the shelve?
     
    Bruce P. Burrell, Jan 23, 2006
    #4
  5. In article <dr1ifq$>,
    Bruce P. Burrell <> wrote:
    >In article <wzVAf.531$>, "fuzzy1" <> wrote:
    >>Check out www.CWO.ca for dvd cases. Last price I got was 9.99 for double
    >>sided slim line cases per 100 or .10 each. Note that these are in Canadian
    >>dollars.


    >Thanks for the Canadian supplier - I'm sure they ship to the USA.
    >I prefer the full-size because I copy the original covers to get
    >a 98% size backup cover printed in my printer scanner.


    >These 98% sized covers don't seem to fit right in the slim cases
    >because I can't READ the sidewall to tell which movie it is on
    >the shelve.


    >The slim cases ARE slim though, so you can fit MORE of them on
    >any given shelve.


    >Is there a trick to printing DVD covers so they are readable on
    >the slim case sidewall? If there is, then we can use slim cases
    >instead of full size.


    I make my own covers using the Nero cover thing. I had to play
    with positioning a bit because their templates are only for full
    sized DVD cased, but one I got it righ the edge are readable.

    It's all in picking the right font and size.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
     
    Bill Vermillion, Jan 23, 2006
    #5
  6. Bruce P. Burrell

    Bill's News Guest

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > In article <dr188o$>, Bruce P. Burrell
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a better supplier of "decent" (not too
    >> flimsy) full-size DVD cases - or did I already find the absolute
    >> best price of around 50 cents in batches of 10 and 20 cases each?

    >
    >> I googled for where to find DVD cases for less than roughly 50
    >> cents per full-size case in quantities of 50 or so and the best I
    >> could find on the net was http://www.inetdvd.com/store/cases.asp
    >> with tax and shipping but at the local Fryes I can buy 10 and
    >> 20 full-size DVD cases for the same price without having to pay
    >> shipping so the InetDVD isn't any better or worse than the local
    >> Fryes ( http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4292864 ).

    >
    >> I realize these fifty cent prices are for "barely adequate"
    >> DVD cases, but, for a DVD that is only intended to be shelved
    >> as a backup, 50 cent cases suffice - but in the interests of
    >> frugality, it's always better if we can find cheaper cases (I
    >> mean, they're just plastic dohickeys that sit on a shelve 99.99%
    >> of their nearly infinite lifetime).

    >
    >> Did I already find the best price of around $.50 per fullsize DVD
    >> case?

    >
    > 20 cases at 50 cents each is $10.
    >
    > If you have any friends that might want some you can get a case
    > 0f 100 from Supermediastore.com for $25 - with free shipping.
    >
    > That takes you to 25 cents a case. Find some friends and sell
    > 80 at 40 cents each and you have taken your twenty cases
    > down to -$.35 each. A bargain any day of the week :)
    >
    > Or sell 80 at 30 cents each, and that brings you final cost
    > per case down to 5 cents each.
    >
    > I've been using their slim-line double cases - which are rather
    > lightweight but two of them let me store 4 dvds in place of one.
    > I'm now slowly relabeling the case to get more space.
    >
    > This week it's $23 for 100 double slimline with free-shipping.
    >
    > They usually have the free shipping as a special ever month or so
    > and I wait until those come along.
    >
    > And the day I received my last shipment they had a 3-day special
    > of $21.50 for 100 shipped free.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > [ps - I had to remove the alt.video.dvd.software as that is not
    > postable from here - I restored the original links].
    >
    > Bill


    Well, some folk are hard to convince Bill. On my last order of TYs
    from SMS they sent along a sample of 10 black, two disk, full cover,
    half depth DVD cases. I didn't need them, as I already use 1/2 depth
    colored jewel boxes (less than $11 per hundred) - but I brought the
    samples to the local library which is pressed for space with their
    3,000+, rapidly growing, DVD collection. No evidence of the librarian
    seeing the wisdom of this yet. I seem to recall that 5,000 cases were
    merely US$800 or so and that color-band-coded alpha edge labels were
    maybe $0.03 each in quantity. NIH doesn't only stand for National
    Health Institute, eh?

    I might mention too, that the cases included in retail purchases are
    often user-unfriendly and can be quite problematic for library
    patrons. The DVD cases we've noted here (based on the samples) are
    much more friendly to extraction and replacement of discs.

    The only drawback to these particular slim cases is the lack of
    internal storage for included printed materials - which I already keep
    in a separate folio, should I ever want access to them.
     
    Bill's News, Jan 24, 2006
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paul
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    508
  2. Toby

    Scanner for large batches of Slides

    Toby, Sep 1, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    418
  3. /\\BratMan/\\

    US price v Uk price

    /\\BratMan/\\, Nov 20, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    755
    Paul Bartram
    Nov 23, 2007
  4. Graeme Woollett
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    802
    Graeme Woollett
    Aug 17, 2003
  5. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    739
Loading...

Share This Page