Full-frame sensors can't do wide angle - NOT!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005.

    1. Advertising

  1. Antonio Cangiano, Sep 22, 2005

  2. David J. Littleboy

    l e o Guest

    l e o, Sep 22, 2005
  3. Antonio Cangiano, Sep 22, 2005
  4. David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005
  5. David J. Littleboy

    l e o Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Antonio Cangiano" <> wrote:
    >
    >>David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2005/09/22/2346.html

    >>For those not fluent in Japanese: :p
    >>http://tinyurl.com/8shu3

    > Sheesh! The Japanese is easier to read than the 'translation'<g>.
    >
    > For example: "But width of the finder beam feeling it is good quickly."
    >
    > Should be: 'However, as expected, the viewfinder is wonderful.'
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    is that a Sigma lens? Wow... now we can hear more Canon bashers' noise.
    l e o, Sep 22, 2005
  6. "l e o" <> wrote:

    > is that a Sigma lens? Wow...

    The 1Ds and 1Dsmk2 users have been very happy with the Stigma 12-24,
    assuming they get a good copy. The other lens is the widely disparaged Canon
    17-35/2.8 (both the 16-35/2.8 and 17-40/4.0 trounce it in tests), which
    looked good to me in the images there that I looked at<g>.

    > now we can hear more Canon bashers' noise.

    Since (a) it's the only game in town for a real 12mm FOV, and (b) the
    D5/1Ds(2) are the only games in town that actually can use that 12mm FOV,
    there isn't any Canon bashing to be done<g>.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005
  7. David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    > "Antonio Cangiano" <> wrote:
    > > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > >> http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2005/09/22/2346.html

    > > For those not fluent in Japanese: :p
    > > http://tinyurl.com/8shu3

    > Sheesh! The Japanese is easier to read than the 'translation'<g>.
    >
    > For example: "But width of the finder beam feeling it is good quickly."
    >
    > Should be: 'However, as expected, the viewfinder is wonderful.'

    Imagine being given that translation to "brush up", without the
    original. I particularly like the various given names....

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
    Louise Bremner, Sep 22, 2005
  8. "Louise Bremner" <> wrote:
    > David J. Littleboy <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > For those not fluent in Japanese: :p
    >> > http://tinyurl.com/8shu3

    >> Sheesh! The Japanese is easier to read than the 'translation'<g>.
    >>
    >> For example: "But width of the finder beam feeling it is good quickly."
    >>
    >> Should be: 'However, as expected, the viewfinder is wonderful.'

    > Imagine being given that translation to "brush up", without the
    > original. I particularly like the various given names....

    "As for intense perspective and angle of view, whichever facing, being
    funny, there is no ginger."

    It may not be translation, but it is poetry...

    David J. Littleboy

    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005
  9. David J. Littleboy

    Skip M Guest

    >> is that a Sigma lens? Wow...

    > The 1Ds and 1Dsmk2 users have been very happy with the Stigma 12-24,
    > assuming they get a good copy. The other lens is the widely disparaged
    > Canon 17-35/2.8 (both the 16-35/2.8 and 17-40/4.0 trounce it in tests),
    > which looked good to me in the images there that I looked at<g>.
    >
    >> now we can hear more Canon bashers' noise.

    > Since (a) it's the only game in town for a real 12mm FOV, and (b) the
    > D5/1Ds(2) are the only games in town that actually can use that 12mm FOV,
    > there isn't any Canon bashing to be done<g>.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Boy, that's some major league distortion in that first one...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Sep 22, 2005
  10. David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    > "Louise Bremner" <> wrote:
    > > David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    > >> Sheesh! The Japanese is easier to read than the 'translation'<g>.
    > >>
    > >> For example: "But width of the finder beam feeling it is good quickly."
    > >>
    > >> Should be: 'However, as expected, the viewfinder is wonderful.'

    > > Imagine being given that translation to "brush up", without the
    > > original. I particularly like the various given names....

    > "As for intense perspective and angle of view, whichever facing, being
    > funny, there is no ginger."

    Bwahahahahah.... I didn't even get that far. So in addition to personal
    names, it can't even do simple idioms?

    > It may not be translation, but it is poetry...

    Yerse.... Tends towards the Vogon, though.

    Louise Bremner, Sep 22, 2005
  11. David J. Littleboy

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 06:07:44 GMT, (Louise
    Bremner) wrote:

    >David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    >> > Imagine being given that translation to "brush up", without the
    >> > original. I particularly like the various given names....

    >> "As for intense perspective and angle of view, whichever facing, being
    >> funny, there is no ginger."

    >Bwahahahahah.... I didn't even get that far. So in addition to personal
    >names, it can't even do simple idioms?

    I've never seen idoms translated well. Do you know a site that does
    idioms well? I'd be interested. :)
    Would "Don't hang a noodle on my ear" translate to "That dog won't
    hunt"?

    >> It may not be translation, but it is poetry...

    >Yerse.... Tends towards the Vogon, though.

    > Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    > If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    funktionality.blogspot.com
    Bill Funk, Sep 22, 2005
  12. "Bill Funk" <> wrote:

    > I've never seen idioms translated well. Do you know a site that does
    > idioms well? I'd be interested. :)

    Uh, no one has ever seen _anything_ translated well _by machine_. (The term
    'idiom' is being used in two senses here. Louise was using it to mean
    "common turns of phrase", where as you were using it to mean "tasty
    phrases". One would hope that a decent MT program would have a reasonably
    large dictionary of common phrases...)

    > Would "Don't hang a noodle on my ear" translate to "That dog won't
    > hunt"?

    Dunno. I've been out of the states for 20 years, and haven't heard "Don't
    hang a noodle on my ear" before...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Sep 22, 2005
  13. David J. Littleboy

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:35:42 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bill Funk" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I've never seen idioms translated well. Do you know a site that does
    >> idioms well? I'd be interested. :)

    >Uh, no one has ever seen _anything_ translated well _by machine_. (The term
    >'idiom' is being used in two senses here. Louise was using it to mean
    >"common turns of phrase", where as you were using it to mean "tasty
    >phrases". One would hope that a decent MT program would have a reasonably
    >large dictionary of common phrases...)
    >
    >> Would "Don't hang a noodle on my ear" translate to "That dog won't
    >> hunt"?

    >Dunno. I've been out of the states for 20 years, and haven't heard "Don't
    >hang a noodle on my ear" before...

    It's Russian. It means roughly the same as "that dog won't hunt", or
    the speaker doesn't believe what's he's being told.
    Like I said, idioms don't traslate well at all.

    Bill Funk, Sep 22, 2005
  14. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/31744-2346-14-1.html
    >
    > http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/31762-2346-20-2.html
    >
    > The above are from a Japanese review of the 5D at
    >
    > http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2005/09/22/2346.html
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Dunno what lens was used but If I 'd just paid $5500 AUD for a camera
    and it produced Chromatic Abberation like is in the first photo which
    I'd almost guarantee is from the sensor, not the lens, I'd take it back
    for a refund.

    --
    Douglas...
    Have gun will travel... Said his card.
    Pix on Canvas, Sep 22, 2005
  15. David J. Littleboy

    Paul H. Guest

    Paul H., Sep 22, 2005
  16. David J. Littleboy

    Brian Baird Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Dunno what lens was used but If I 'd just paid $5500 AUD for a camera
    > and it produced Chromatic Abberation like is in the first photo which
    > I'd almost guarantee is from the sensor, not the lens, I'd take it back
    > for a refund.

    You're bonkers.

    The first image doesn't have any noticeable CA. IN any case, CA is a
    function of the lens, not the sensor.

    Also, the lens is clearly listed.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
    Brian Baird, Sep 22, 2005
  17. David J. Littleboy

    ThomasH Guest

    On 21-Sep-05 16:29, David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/31744-2346-14-1.html
    >
    > http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/31762-2346-20-2.html

    Are the stains in the upper right and left side of this image a
    result of dust particles? I got this problem with the EOS-20D.
    They look so familiar...

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Sep 23, 2005
  18. Brian Baird wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>Dunno what lens was used but If I 'd just paid $5500 AUD for a camera
    >>and it produced Chromatic Abberation like is in the first photo which
    >>I'd almost guarantee is from the sensor, not the lens, I'd take it back
    >>for a refund.

    > You're bonkers.
    >
    > The first image doesn't have any noticeable CA. IN any case, CA is a
    > function of the lens, not the sensor.
    >
    > Also, the lens is clearly listed.

    Your continued kind words are recorded for life Brian. Thank Google for
    that, the next time you need to eat them.

    Seemingly, you are lacking in the lens design knowledge area. Lacking in
    other more personal areas too but let's not go there today. Pity your
    barbs weren't as lacking. I'm surprised a bloke with your huge knowledge
    of everything (just ask him and he'll tell you) has not got a fucking
    clue about what he derides others for.

    Lenses designed specifically for digital sensors, direct the light at 90
    degrees to the sensor plane and avoid CA from the micro lenses on the
    sensor (or at least try to). Conventional film camera lenses direct
    light to the film at angles other than 90 degrees. This causes Chromatic
    Aberrations from the sensors themselves. Simple digital logic, Brian.

    CA is evident on the right of the image where the building contrasts
    with the sky. A very common source of CA in digital cameras.

    The real problem with a 5D is that almost no one makes a digital
    specific lens with the coverage needed to fit a full frame sensor. We
    are going to see a lot of images from 5Ds with slight to pronounced CA
    because of this. on a 1.5 or 1.6 crop sensor, the problem is not so
    pronounced although it still exists.

    Don't be so quick to pull the trigger when you shoot from the hip,
    Brian, you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot and then we'd have to
    call you a Gimp but that name is already taken.

    Pix on Canvas, Sep 23, 2005
  19. Pix on Canvas wrote:
    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >
    >> http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/31744-2346-14-1.html
    >>

    >> http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/31762-2346-20-2.html
    >>

    >> The above are from a Japanese review of the 5D at
    >>
    >> http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2005/09/22/2346.html
    >>
    >> David J. Littleboy
    >> Tokyo, Japan
    >>

    > Dunno what lens was used but If I 'd just paid $5500 AUD for a camera
    > and it produced Chromatic Abberation like is in the first photo which
    > I'd almost guarantee is from the sensor, not the lens, I'd take it back
    > for a refund.

    image problems, minor.

    dust on the sensor, a lot.

    bob crownfield, Sep 23, 2005