Full frame DSLR developments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Oct 14, 2011.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Latest rumours:

    Canon is due to make a major product announcement at events around the
    globe on Tuesday, October 18 2011. That much is known. The rumour is
    that it will be a full frame DSLR, probably the latest version of the
    1Ds, or 1D - the days of APS-H may be numbered.

    Nikon's announcement of the D700 replacement has been delayed from its
    original August 24 date by the continuing production problems in Japan
    following the earthquake/tsunami. It may be further delayed following
    the news that Nikon's production facility in Thailand has been
    affected by a severe flood event. The strong rumours are that it will
    be called D800 and have a 36 MP full frame sensor made under contract
    by Sony.

    Not surprisingly, the final rumour is that the 36 MP sensor is likely
    to find itself in installed a Sony Alpha body. Unfortunately it will
    be an SLT with pellicle mirror rather than a DSLR, which will be
    devastating news for the rapidly dwindling number of Sony Alpha fans.

    Bruce, Oct 14, 2011

  2. Bruce

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/14/2011 8:56 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > Latest rumours:
    >
    > Canon is due to make a major product announcement at events around the
    > globe on Tuesday, October 18 2011. That much is known. The rumour is
    > that it will be a full frame DSLR, probably the latest version of the
    > 1Ds, or 1D - the days of APS-H may be numbered.
    >
    > Nikon's announcement of the D700 replacement has been delayed from its
    > original August 24 date by the continuing production problems in Japan
    > following the earthquake/tsunami. It may be further delayed following
    > the news that Nikon's production facility in Thailand has been
    > affected by a severe flood event. The strong rumours are that it will
    > be called D800 and have a 36 MP full frame sensor made under contract
    > by Sony.
    >
    > Not surprisingly, the final rumour is that the 36 MP sensor is likely
    > to find itself in installed a Sony Alpha body. Unfortunately it will
    > be an SLT with pellicle mirror rather than a DSLR, which will be
    > devastating news for the rapidly dwindling number of Sony Alpha fans.

    IIRC, for the reasons stated by Bruce RE: problems n Japan, I gave that
    same opinion, without reading Nikon rumors.
    Expect the availability of the new Nikon Professional gear no earlier
    than August of next year.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 15, 2011