full-duplex mode on NM-1E1R2W

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Karsten Fischer, Mar 26, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    i want to use the above network module (one ethernet, one token ring) in
    a 3640 for a 10mbit leased line with full-duplex.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800ad3cc.shtml

    says : "Supports full-duplex beginning with Cisco IOS Software Release
    12.0(4)T"

    But i can't configure full-duplex on this module, even with 12.1(2)T.

    router#show int e4/0
    Ethernet4/0 is up, line protocol is down
    Hardware is AmdP2, address is 0002.1649.d761 (bia 0002.1649.d761)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
    reliability 128/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    [...]

    Does this module supports full-duplex mode?
    Any hints welcome..

    Regards,

    Karsten
    Karsten Fischer, Mar 26, 2009

  2. Karsten Fischer

    Thrill5 Guest

    Full duplex is not supported on any 10Mb only ethernet interfaces on Cisco
    routers. The 10MB ethernet chipset that Cisco used did not support full
    duplex mode. On the 2600 series platform you could set full-duplex on the
    10MB interfaces (with an error), but the interface still ran at half-duplex.
    CDP and show interface would report the interface was in full-duplex, but
    this was a bug and was really running in half-duplex mode. In order to run
    10MB full-duplex you need a fast-ethernet interface.

    Thrill5, Mar 26, 2009

  3. Karsten Fischer

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <49cbee12$0$31879$-online.net>, (Karsten Fischer) writes:
    | Hello,
    |
    | i want to use the above network module (one ethernet, one token ring) in
    | a 3640 for a 10mbit leased line with full-duplex.
    |
    | http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800ad3cc.shtml
    |
    | says : "Supports full-duplex beginning with Cisco IOS Software Release
    | 12.0(4)T"
    |
    | But i can't configure full-duplex on this module, even with 12.1(2)T.

    What do you mean by "can't"? Does the full-duplex configuration command
    in interface configuration mode give an error?

    | router#show int e4/0
    | Ethernet4/0 is up, line protocol is down
    | Hardware is AmdP2, address is 0002.1649.d761 (bia 0002.1649.d761)
    | MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
    | reliability 128/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    | Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    | Keepalive set (10 sec)
    | [...]

    I don't think you will see anything there. Try "show controller e4/0"
    and look after BCR9= around line 7.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com
    Dan Lanciani, Mar 27, 2009
  4. Dan Lanciani wrote:
    > In article <49cbee12$0$31879$-online.net>, (Karsten Fischer) writes:
    > | Hello,
    > |
    > | i want to use the above network module (one ethernet, one token ring) in
    > | a 3640 for a 10mbit leased line with full-duplex.
    > |
    > | http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800ad3cc.shtml
    > |
    > | says : "Supports full-duplex beginning with Cisco IOS Software Release
    > | 12.0(4)T"
    > |
    > | But i can't configure full-duplex on this module, even with 12.1(2)T.
    >
    > What do you mean by "can't"? Does the full-duplex configuration command
    > in interface configuration mode give an error?

    I mean there`s no duplex configuration at all available for this
    interface! (no "full-duplex", no "duplex full" or similar)

    Because of this, the leased line will be terminated on a switch, which
    is availabe at this location an routed on a subinterface from another
    fast-ethernetport.

    Thanks,
    Karsten
    Karsten Fischer, Mar 27, 2009
  5. Karsten Fischer

    Thrill5 Guest

    Even if the command were there, the hardware DOES NOT SUPPORT full-duplex
    mode. If you need a 10MB full-duplex connection, you need an NM-1FE or
    similar.

    Thrill5, Mar 27, 2009
  6. Karsten Fischer

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <49cd2888$0$30228$-online.net>, (Karsten Fischer) writes:
    | Dan Lanciani wrote:
    | > In article <49cbee12$0$31879$-online.net>, (Karsten Fischer) writes:
    | > | Hello,
    | > |
    | > | i want to use the above network module (one ethernet, one token ring) in
    | > | a 3640 for a 10mbit leased line with full-duplex.
    | > |
    | > | http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800ad3cc.shtml
    | > |
    | > | says : "Supports full-duplex beginning with Cisco IOS Software Release
    | > | 12.0(4)T"
    | > |
    | > | But i can't configure full-duplex on this module, even with 12.1(2)T.
    | >
    | > What do you mean by "can't"? Does the full-duplex configuration command
    | > in interface configuration mode give an error?
    |
    | I mean there`s no duplex configuration at all available for this
    | interface! (no "full-duplex", no "duplex full" or similar)

    I have an NM-1E1R2W in a 3640 and it supports duplex configuration commands
    under IOS 12.4. I also have an NM-1E2W in another 3640 that I actually run
    in full-duplex mode without any obvious problems. (That is, I don't see any
    unexpected errors counted on it or on the full-duplex NM-2FE2W interface at
    the other end of the link.) Perhaps I'm deluding myself...

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com
    Dan Lanciani, Mar 27, 2009
  7. Karsten Fischer

    Thrill5 Guest

    "Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message
    > In article <49cd2888$0$30228$-online.net>,
    > (Karsten Fischer) writes:
    > | Dan Lanciani wrote:
    > | > |
    > ring) in
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800ad3cc.shtml
    > | > |
    > Release
    > | > |
    > 12.1(2)T.
    > | >
    > | > What do you mean by "can't"? Does the full-duplex configuration
    > command
    > | > in interface configuration mode give an error?
    > |
    > | I mean there`s no duplex configuration at all available for this
    > | interface! (no "full-duplex", no "duplex full" or similar)
    >
    > I have an NM-1E1R2W in a 3640 and it supports duplex configuration
    > commands
    > under IOS 12.4. I also have an NM-1E2W in another 3640 that I actually
    > run
    > in full-duplex mode without any obvious problems. (That is, I don't see
    > any
    > unexpected errors counted on it or on the full-duplex NM-2FE2W interface
    > at
    > the other end of the link.) Perhaps I'm deluding myself...
    >
    > Dan Lanciani
    > ddl@danlan.*com

    I'm sorry to say, that it doesn't work. I had issues with running
    full-duplex on 10MB interfaces a number of years ago and after several weeks
    of testing I found that it did not work. I did research on CCO and after
    several hours of searching I found a document that explained that the 10MB
    ethernet chipset that Cisco used on ALL of their 10MB interfaces (2500,
    2600, and NM moduels) do not support full-duplex operation. (In addition,
    only some them support 802.1q trunking). I opened a TAC case about this and
    it was confirmed that 10MB interfaces do not support full duplex as this is
    something that must be supported in hardware and is not something than can
    reprogrammed via software. I tried to get them to open a bug report that if
    the interface does not support full duplex then the full duplex command
    should NOT be available.

    I just spent about an hour searching CCO again and unfortunately I could not
    find the document again. It's been so long ago that I don't remember what
    key words will bring up the document and I don't recall if it was in a
    release note, a technical note, or a bug report.

    One of the side-effects of turning on full-duplex is that error counters are
    no longer incremented when errors are detected on the interface, and CDP
    will report that the interface is full duplex. The reason that this problem
    is there is that the 100MB chipset that Cisco uses is backward compatible
    with the 10MB chipset, with the exception of full duplex operation. (A
    later version of the 10MB chipset supports 802.1q trunking while the
    previous version does not.) The underlying driver interface is the same for
    all three chipsets, and so you can issue the IOS commands but they have no
    effect on the hardware if they are supported and no error is generated. If
    you don't believe me, you can verify my results by connected two routers
    back-to-back and turn on full-duplex. The output packets on one side should
    match the input packets on the other side, but you will see that they don't.
    The higher the sustained througput rate, the bigger the number of packets
    will differ. If you attach a tap in between and attach a sniffer, you will
    see retransmissions that are not seen on either interface. You will also
    see that on the 10MB side you will not get more than about 3Mb/s of traffic,
    which is the practical limit of a half-duplex 10MB interface.
    Thrill5, Mar 27, 2009
  8. Karsten Fischer

    bod43 Guest

    On 27 Mar, 21:24, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > What do you mean by "can't"?  Does the full-duplex configuration command
    > | > in interface configuration mode give an error?
    > |
    > | I mean there`s no duplex configuration at all available for this
    > | interface! (no "full-duplex", no "duplex full" or similar)
    >
    > I have an NM-1E1R2W in a 3640 and it supports duplex configuration commands
    > under IOS 12.4.  I also have an NM-1E2W in another 3640 that I actually run
    > in full-duplex mode without any obvious problems.  (That is, I don't see any
    > unexpected errors counted on it or on the full-duplex NM-2FE2W interface at
    > the other end of the link.)  Perhaps I'm deluding myself...

    The command might just be missing from the help?

    You should just enter the corerct command and see if it accepts it.

    I have no experience of thses cards but it is very rare to unheard of
    for cisco documentation to be wrong on such a simple
    and unambiguous matter. Sorry Mr. Thrill5:)

    I would though expect the sh int to list the duplex setting:(
    Oh on my router here it is the line below the one last one posted.

    FastEthernet0 is up, line protocol is down
    Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is xxxxxx
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Auto-duplex, Auto-speed

    I have noticed that the NM-1FE1R does support
    "full duplex token ring" and the NM-1E1R does not.
    Maybe that is the confusion?

    Of course it should be [full duplex token-less ring-less token ring]
    since there are neither tokens nor rings but its long gone now
    so who cares:)
    bod43, Mar 27, 2009
  9. Karsten Fischer

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <gqk0bu$t6n$>, (Thrill5) writes:

    | "Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message
    | > In article <49cd2888$0$30228$-online.net>,
    | > (Karsten Fischer) writes:
    | > | > |
    | > ring) in
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00800ad3cc.shtml
    | > | > |
    | > Release
    | > | > |
    | > 12.1(2)T.

    | > command
    | > |
    | > | I mean there`s no duplex configuration at all available for this
    | > | interface! (no "full-duplex", no "duplex full" or similar)
    | >
    | > I have an NM-1E1R2W in a 3640 and it supports duplex configuration
    | > commands
    | > under IOS 12.4. I also have an NM-1E2W in another 3640 that I actually
    | > run
    | > in full-duplex mode without any obvious problems. (That is, I don't see
    | > any
    | > unexpected errors counted on it or on the full-duplex NM-2FE2W interface
    | > at
    | > the other end of the link.) Perhaps I'm deluding myself...
    | >
    | > Dan Lanciani
    | > ddl@danlan.*com
    |
    | I'm sorry to say, that it doesn't work. I had issues with running
    | full-duplex on 10MB interfaces a number of years ago and after several weeks
    | of testing I found that it did not work. I did research on CCO and after
    | several hours of searching I found a document that explained that the 10MB
    | ethernet chipset that Cisco used on ALL of their 10MB interfaces (2500,
    | 2600, and NM moduels) do not support full-duplex operation.

    I thought there was a change in chipset after the 2500 and original 4000
    series interfaces. The revised 4000 series module (NP-2E-FDX) was 10Mb/s
    and supported full duplex.

    | One of the side-effects of turning on full-duplex is that error counters are
    | no longer incremented when errors are detected on the interface,

    This does not appear to be the case. I just looked at the above mentioned
    link between an NM-1E2W set to full duplex and an NM-2FE2W also set to
    full duplex. Counters were last cleared about six weeks ago; there were
    no unexpected errors. I then changed the setting on the NM-1E2W to half
    duplex (leaving the NM-2FE2W set to full duplex) and ran some cross-pings.
    Immediately I saw dropped packets and CRC errors were counted on the full
    duplex NM-2FE2W side as I would expect with a duplex mismatch. Restoring
    the NM-1E2W to full duplex stopped the errors and dropped packets. So
    something is going on.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com
    Dan Lanciani, Mar 28, 2009