full disk encryption "Backup"

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by gojlt2, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. gojlt2

    gojlt2 Guest

    Need help with hard drive backup.

    My company has recently installed Checkpoint Pointsec PC 6.3.1 full
    drive encryption on the notebook computers.

    I have been using Acronis TrueImage backup software for several
    months. I had always used the default compression. If a file was
    needed from the archive, Acronis would load the backup and I could
    extract the files needed to restore.

    After the Pointsec PC application was installed, TrueImage doesn't
    perform the backup as before. It evidently doesn't use compression. It
    gives an error message that the hard drive should be checked for
    errors.

    What are my options for hard drive back up now that Checkpoint
    Pointsec PC 6.3.1 full drive encryption is installed?

    Thank you.

    gojlt2, Aug 8, 2008

  2. Someone Else <> wrote:

    > If your company isn't interested in supplying backup
    > procedures for their own PCs, they deserve to lose whatever's on
    > them.

    Usually companies insist that people store their files on the file
    servers and only copy those files to the Laptop that they need on that
    particular trip... that way you get backups AND don't give thieves
    access to tons of confidential information.

    Mind you, far too many users ignore such rules and think that the admin
    will sort it out for them without them having to do anything... :-(

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    What do you mean? You actually read this Tagline?!?

    Juergen Nieveler, Aug 11, 2008

  3. Juergen Nieveler wrote:
    > Someone Else <> wrote:
    >
    >> If your company isn't interested in supplying backup
    >> procedures for their own PCs, they deserve to lose whatever's on
    >> them.

    > Usually companies insist that people store their files on the file
    > servers and only copy those files to the Laptop that they need on

    that
    > particular trip... that way you get backups AND don't give thieves
    > access to tons of confidential information.
    >
    > Mind you, far too many users ignore such rules and think that the

    admin
    > will sort it out for them without them having to do anything... :-(
    >

    > Juergen Nieveler

    While all of the above is true, it doesn't answer the OP question. I
    recommend contacting Acronis for information on how to use their
    software with an encrypted disc.

    Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer, Aug 12, 2008
  4. Someone Else <> wrote:

    > However, to answer part of the OP's quandary - Acronis does image
    > backup. Since the disk's data is encrypted, it doesn't compress.
    > Trying to compress it may actually make the backup larger than the
    > original.

    I'd suggest looking into something like the MS SyncToy - although for
    obvious reasons I'd encrypt the backup disc, too ;-)

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Five second fuses only last three seconds.

    Juergen Nieveler, Aug 12, 2008