Full Disk Encryption - Anyone Tried These?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tim Weaver, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Tim Weaver

    Tim Weaver Guest

    Tim Weaver, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Tim Weaver

    athegates Guest

    Drivecrypt plus is what I would suggest if you laptop gets lost or stolen.
    It has several feature I really like. Such as 5 second delay between failed
    login attemps, after booting speed is normal, choice of crypto types and
    boot disk etc will not work. (unless you have create one with the software
    that will only work with your conf, current pwd and hardware.

    Dan.
    athegates, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Tim Weaver

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Tim Weaver

    Tim Weaver Guest

    Frode wrote:
    > Tim Weaver wrote:
    >>Opinions?
    >>
    >>CompuSec
    >>http://www.ce-infosys.com.sg/CeiNews_FreeCompuSec.asp

    > I took a peek at this one. I have no idea about how secure it is, or how
    > well it works in a company setting. But as a single home user I found it
    > to be horrible. Lousy GUI. Poor explanations to just about every thing
    > you can click. Personally I thought it looked like a kid's bedroom
    > coding experiment gone awry.
    >
    > I also peeked at an updated version recently, the only difference I
    > could notice was that it now didn't ask me if I wanted to change the
    > password *every time I booted*. Which is, granted, an improvement.

    Scratch this one.

    >>MaxCrypt
    >>http://www.kinocode.com/maxcrypt.htm

    > Dunno that one.
    >
    > Personally I would recommend SafeBoot Solo (www.safeboot.com). Depending
    > on how much configurability you need DriveCrypt Plus Pack
    > (www.securstar.com) might be what you're after. It costs three times as
    > much compared to SBS though ($150 whereas SBS is $50).
    >
    > Both are available for trial runs. I suggest you give them a shot. SBS
    > is a clear cut "just click and download" whereas DCPP makes things a bit
    > more difficult by requiring you to register for a password before you're
    > allowed to trial it.

    I tried DriveCrypt and DCPP (cracked versions of both) and the combination
    is exactly what I'm looking for. As I no longer use pirated software and
    have deleted all I had (that hurt!), I am looking for freeware. Currently,
    I'm using the recently released TrueCrypt 2, although some folks seem
    somewhat skeptical about it. I'm using PGP 8 and if TrueCrypt 2 proves to
    have problems, I *think* I can install an early version of PGP 6 with
    PGPDisk under PGP 8 and go that route. However, this still does nothing for
    full drive encryption.

    Thanks for the reviews. :)
    --
    Tim Weaver
    Tim Weaver, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Tim Weaver

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Jun 14, 2004
  6. Tim Weaver

    Tim Weaver Guest

    Frode wrote:
    >Tim Weaver wrote:
    >
    >> I tried DriveCrypt and DCPP (cracked versions of both) and the
    >> combination is exactly what I'm looking for. As I no longer use
    >> pirated software and have deleted all I had (that hurt!), I am looking
    >> for freeware. Currently, I'm using the recently released TrueCrypt 2,
    >> although some folks seem somewhat skeptical about it. I'm using PGP 8
    >> and if TrueCrypt 2 proves to have problems, I *think* I can install an
    >> early version of PGP 6 with PGPDisk under PGP 8 and go that route.
    >> However, this still does nothing for full drive encryption.

    > Indeed it does not. Since my last post I found that MaxCrypt is unable
    > to encrypt your primary harddrive, so that's out too.
    >
    > I looked around for quite some time before settling on SBS myself. I was
    > hoping for freeware, of course, but $50 isn't a whole lot of money. $150
    > for DCPP however, considering the faults I found in it (not to mention
    > the draconian licensing technology I've heard about), was not even worth
    > considering for me.
    >
    > To be honest though, if your need for full drive encryption is worth
    > less to you than $50, chances are you'd be happy sticking with a
    > combination of freeware PGP and a cheap(er) or free container based
    > solution.

    This is true. Nothing I have is illegal or has anything to do with a
    business. It's all personal and it's a "keep your damn nose outta my
    stuff" kind of situation. Full drive encryption would be nice, but PGP
    for e-mail, TrueCrypt encrypted container volumes and a good system
    cleaning every so often is plenty adequate for me.
    --
    Tim Weaver
    Tim Weaver, Jun 14, 2004
  7. Tim Weaver