full blurred background effect with D70?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Giovanni Azua, Oct 27, 2006.

  1. Hello all,

    I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson p.36
    and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of having a clearly
    focused foreground element e.g. flower and get blurred anything slightly
    away from the main focus area.

    My approach was as follows:

    - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
    - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough as to
    reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g. flower.
    - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other two
    "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
    - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".

    The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
    sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Best Regards,
    Giovanni
    Giovanni Azua, Oct 27, 2006

  2. Giovanni Azua

    Scott W Guest

    Giovanni Azua wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson p.36
    > and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of having a clearly
    > focused foreground element e.g. flower and get blurred anything slightly
    > away from the main focus area.
    >
    > My approach was as follows:
    >
    > - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
    > - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough as to
    > reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g. flower.
    > - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other two
    > "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
    > - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
    >
    > The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
    > sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,

    Try using a longer focal length and if you can use a smaller f/number.
    Note that f/5.6 will give a small DOF with a FL of say 200mm but a
    farly larger DOF at a FL of 20mm.

    Scott
    Scott W, Oct 27, 2006

  3. "Giovanni Azua" <> wrote:

    > The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
    > sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?

    Normally, that sort of work is done at f/2.0 or f/2.8. Presumably, your lens
    is a consumer zoom that doesn't open up very wide. You could consider buying
    the Nikkor 50/1.8.

    Before throwing money at the problem, though, try again with your lens
    zoomed out to its longest focal length.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 27, 2006
  4. Giovanni Azua

    Scott W Guest

    Giovanni Azua wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson p.36
    > and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of having a clearly
    > focused foreground element e.g. flower and get blurred anything slightly
    > away from the main focus area.
    >
    > My approach was as follows:
    >
    > - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
    > - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough as to
    > reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g. flower.
    > - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other two
    > "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
    > - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
    >
    > The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
    > sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,

    One more thought, the smaller an object you photograph the less DOF you
    will have. So if you are photographing one small flower it might be
    hard to get enough DOF but if you are photographing a bunch of flowers
    it might be hard getting a small enough DOF.

    Scott
    Scott W, Oct 27, 2006
  5. Giovanni Azua

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "Giovanni Azua" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson p.36
    > and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of having a
    > clearly
    > focused foreground element e.g. flower and get blurred anything slightly
    > away from the main focus area.
    >
    > My approach was as follows:
    >
    > - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
    > - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough as to
    > reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g. flower.
    > - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other two
    > "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
    > - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
    >
    > The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
    > sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Giovanni

    In addition to the "lens" related help that others are providing, the newest
    version of Corel's Paint Ship Pro Photo-11 is supposed to have a software
    effect to simulate the same background. I can't speak for how well it
    works.

    "Skip the fancy lenses, now you can add depth of field to any photo in
    seconds. Plus, with this new filter, you can adjust aperture shape, focus
    range, and the strength of the blur"
    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Product_C1&cid=1157730485876&lc=en&pagename=CorelCom/Layout

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Oct 27, 2006
  6. Giovanni Azua

    Mark² Guest

    Giovanni Azua wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson
    > p.36 and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of
    > having a clearly focused foreground element e.g. flower and get
    > blurred anything slightly away from the main focus area.
    >
    > My approach was as follows:
    >
    > - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
    > - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough
    > as to reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject
    > e.g. flower. - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to
    > the other two "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
    > - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
    >
    > The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
    > sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Giovanni

    Back up...fully extend your zoom to its longest focal length...and shoot at
    its largest aperture.
    Even if that's a relatively small 5.6, you should be able to blur the
    background so long as your flower isn't right up against it.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Oct 27, 2006
  7. Giovanni Azua

    Mark² Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > Giovanni Azua wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson
    >> p.36 and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of
    >> having a clearly focused foreground element e.g. flower and get
    >> blurred anything slightly away from the main focus area.
    >>
    >> My approach was as follows:
    >>
    >> - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
    >> - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough
    >> as to reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject
    >> e.g. flower. - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition
    >> to the other two "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
    >> - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
    >>
    >> The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree of
    >> sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance,

    > One more thought, the smaller an object you photograph the less DOF
    > you will have. So if you are photographing one small flower it might
    > be hard to get enough DOF but if you are photographing a bunch of
    > flowers it might be hard getting a small enough DOF.
    >
    > Scott

    Size of the subject doesn't have any effect at all.
    If you mean "the smaller the subject with which you FILL THE FRAME...then
    yes, of course.
    :)

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Oct 27, 2006
  8. Giovanni Azua

    Scott W Guest

    Mark² lowest even number here wrote:

    > Size of the subject doesn't have any effect at all.
    > If you mean "the smaller the subject with which you FILL THE FRAME...then
    > yes, of course.
    > :)

    Well yes I assume that the frame would be filled the same amound for a
    large object as a small. Any one who have done macro photography knows
    how small the DOF can get. Even at f/16 macro shots are short on DOF.

    Scott
    Scott W, Oct 27, 2006
  9. Giovanni Azua

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Giovanni Azua wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am reading the "Understanding Exposure" book from Bryan Peterson
    > p.36 and can not manage to make my D70 get a similar picture of
    > having a clearly focused foreground element e.g. flower and get
    > blurred anything slightly away from the main focus area.
    >
    > My approach was as follows:
    >
    > - Set the camera to A mode (Aperture priority).
    > - Configured the aperture to be f/5.6 using the command. Open enough
    > as to
    > reduce the focus depth of field to be close to the subject e.g.
    > flower.
    > - Set the AF-Area Mode to "Single Area" in opposition to the other
    > two
    > "Dynamic Area" or "Closest Subject".
    > - Tried with both metering modes "Center Weighted" and "Spot".
    >
    > The result was not really as I expected ... there was still degree
    > of sharpness away from the subject ... any ideas what I am doing
    > wrong?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Giovanni

    Use manual focus and then see how well you do.
    --
    Neil
    reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
    Neil Ellwood, Oct 27, 2006