    standard repair cost of £119!!!

    Appreciate your help!

    Cheers, @sh

    @sh, Nov 3, 2006

  2. @sh wrote:
    > My cameras been fine for years, and all of a sudden we take a picture
    > but the battery goes flat with the lense still extruded - so I
    > replace the batteries and try again but not, when turning the camera
    > on the lense only pops out 1cm or so and stops, the backlight turns
    > off and the screen shows non backlighted 'Fujifilm' logo. The camera
    > is unusable because it seems to simply crash!
    >
    > When the lense is moving to the 1cm extrusion and stopping, there is
    > no clunk nor breaking sound, it sounds perfectly normal, but
    > obviously its not!!
    >
    > I'm stumped as to what I can try, anyone any ideas as Fuji are
    > quoting me a standard repair cost of £119!!!
    >
    > Appreciate your help!
    >
    > Cheers, @sh

    Sounds like a dust problem. The tolerances on these extending zooms are
    pretty tight. A neighbour gave me his Coolpix to dispose of, as he too had
    been advised that the cost of repair was not worth it. It took me all of 5
    minutes with a camel-hair brush and some WD40 to get it working again. Now
    he has 2 Coolpix's!

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 3, 2006

  3. @sh

    John Turco Guest

    "@sh" wrote:

    > My cameras been fine for years, and all of a sudden we take a picture but
    > the battery goes flat with the lense still extruded - so I replace the
    > batteries and try again but not, when turning the camera on the lense only
    > pops out 1cm or so and stops, the backlight turns off and the screen shows
    > non backlighted 'Fujifilm' logo. The camera is unusable because it seems to
    > simply crash!
    >
    > When the lense is moving to the 1cm extrusion and stopping, there is no
    > clunk nor breaking sound, it sounds perfectly normal, but obviously its
    > not!!
    >
    > I'm stumped as to what I can try, anyone any ideas as Fuji are quoting me a
    > standard repair cost of £119!!!
    >
    > Appreciate your help!
    >
    > Cheers, @sh

    Hello,

    Although, you appear to be located in Britain, may I recomend the USA's
    "DarnToothySam?" He not only sells/auctions secondhand digital cameras
    (and their individual parts), he also fixes them, and his prices seem
    somewhat reasonable. Here are his Web sites:

    DarnToothySam.com
    http://www.darntoothysam.com

    DarnToothySam - eBay Store
    http://stores.ebay.com/DarnToothySam