    diferent, the "4M F" files are bigger, the camera manual and website don't
    explain the diference between these two options, could u guys help me out?
    Steven.

    Steven Hook, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Steven Hook

    AndyK Guest

    4M F will be "4 megapixel, Fine"
    4M N will probably be "4 megapixel, Normal"

    The fine/normal refers to the amount of JPEG compression used, hence the
    'fine' file uses lower compression and so is bigger in size. The 'normal'
    will use higher compression leading to a smaller file size. It will probably
    be difficult to see the difference in quality with an untrained eye - look
    for 'jpeg artifacts' (do a google search!) which normally occur along harsh
    edges (the edge of a black box on white background for example).

    HTH,
    AndyK

    AndyK, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Steven Hook

    Steven Hook Guest

    "AndyK" <> wrote in message
    > 4M F will be "4 megapixel, Fine"
    > 4M N will probably be "4 megapixel, Normal"
    >
    > The fine/normal refers to the amount of JPEG compression used, hence the
    > 'fine' file uses lower compression and so is bigger in size. The 'normal'
    > will use higher compression leading to a smaller file size. It will

    probably
    > be difficult to see the difference in quality with an untrained eye - look
    > for 'jpeg artifacts' (do a google search!) which normally occur along

    harsh
    > edges (the edge of a black box on white background for example).
    >
    > HTH,
    > AndyK

    Thanks,
    I thought it might be a "normal" "fine" thing, but I couldn't see any diff
    in the pix, I'll take some more test shots and see, it's probably fine to
    leave it on "N" almost always then and just choose "F" if I think there'll
    be a problem and if I really want a big print of the pic.
    Steven

    Steven Hook, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Steven Hook

    Harvey Guest

    > "AndyK" <> wrote in message
    > > 4M F will be "4 megapixel, Fine"
    > > 4M N will probably be "4 megapixel, Normal"
    > >
    > > The fine/normal refers to the amount of JPEG compression used, hence the
    > > 'fine' file uses lower compression and so is bigger in size. The

    'normal'
    > > will use higher compression leading to a smaller file size. It will

    > probably
    > > be difficult to see the difference in quality with an untrained eye -

    look
    > > for 'jpeg artifacts' (do a google search!) which normally occur along

    > harsh
    > > edges (the edge of a black box on white background for example).
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > AndyK

    > Thanks,
    > I thought it might be a "normal" "fine" thing, but I couldn't see any diff
    > in the pix, I'll take some more test shots and see, it's probably fine to
    > leave it on "N" almost always then and just choose "F" if I think there'll
    > be a problem and if I really want a big print of the pic.
    > Steven

    Print at 11 by 17 and you will see the difference.

    Harvey, Jan 24, 2005
  5. Steven Hook

    Steven Hook Guest

    Hey,
    another 2 questions, :)
    1. the pictures are bigger than the LCD display, when I take a pic and
    download it, there's more on the pic than I could see on the LCD when I took
    it, is this normal, it's a pain when I try leave stuf fout of a photo.
    2. is it a good idea to get a 55mm polaroid filter to fit on the front of
    the adaptor ring, thought it might give nicer picks an dalso keep dust off
    the lense.
    Steven

    Steven Hook, Jan 24, 2005