    I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
    on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
    Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.
    tzipple, Feb 25, 2005

  2. tzipple

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:54:57 -0600, tzipple <> wrote:

    > I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
    > 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
    > to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
    >
    > So, I want a:
    > * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
    > * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
    > * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
    > * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will be
    > hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
    > *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
    >
    > I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
    > on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
    > Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

    You will need to take a heap of AA's with you if you plan to use alkalines. I
    have the model preceding the 7000, the S602z and I can barely get 10 shots with
    alkalines but many hundred with a set of NiMH.

    Other than that, the Fuji is a great choice.

    BTW, have you thought of taking a couple of solar powered battery chargers with
    you?
    Ken Oaf, Feb 25, 2005

  3. tzipple

    Roy Guest

    Hi there.

    I agree with Ken. my wife has the Fuji S5500, 4Mp, and while it is a great
    camera, 10x Zoom, good user controls and even Raw Files, it is pretty heavy
    on Batteries. Normal Alkalines do not last long, and 2400ma NiMH are really
    essential.

    Roy G

    Roy, Feb 25, 2005
  4. tzipple

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
    > 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
    > to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
    >
    > So, I want a:
    > * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
    > * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
    > * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
    > * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will be
    > hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
    > *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
    >
    > I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
    > on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
    > Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

    Two things to remember...

    1. If it is set to its best picture quality and jpg, it is going to
    interpolate the picture into a 12mp picture.

    2. If you get one that was "early off the line" and use cf cards, it will use
    up batteries when it is turned off (cameras with this problem have to go to
    Fuji to be fixed)Unless you are buying a used one, this shhouldn't be a
    problem.

    I have take many hundreds of shots with my S7000, and I dont feel it is a
    battery hog at all. Just dont even THINK about Alkalines, they wont work for
    more than a couple of on/off cycles.

    I can get through a 12 hour shooting day with 3 sets of NIMH rated at 2200
    (about $10 per set of 4) and I use the camera in its most power hungry mode,
    Constant-Auto-Focus (CAF on the focus mode dial).
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Feb 25, 2005
  5. tzipple

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, Conrad.1l0gzm@no-
    mx.Newsgroup.Gateway says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been shooting with the Fuji S7000 for some time and like the
    > camera. The previous comments are quite accurate -- by all means get a
    > good set (4) NiMH batteries.
    > Movie mode is quite good -- even though 640x480 is tops. Runs length of
    > your CF card (256MB yields 3:37 minutes).
    > Camera also uses xD or MicroDrive.
    > 6 megapixels (Fuji interpolation to two levels at 12 megapixels).
    > Good flash built in.
    > Some pics I've taken at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/69zmc
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Conrad
    >

    > --
    > Conrad

    I found it Exciting that most of your pictures are landscapes.. Not because
    of anything really other than most of my very best landscape, and
    Flower/Nature MACRO stuff has bee shot with the S7000 and its baby brother
    the S5000.

    Both do a GREAT job in this work and I had totally forgotten to mention it in
    my post about the S7000.

    I get so carried away with my Horse Show photos I tend to forget I have this
    "other life" in which I shoot flowers/bugs/trees/landscapes/dogs/cats, and
    anything that stands still long enough to aim the camera!

    The S5000 my special favorite for shooting landscapes that will end up as
    "panoramas".

    VERY NICE PHOTOS Conrad, keep up the good work.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Feb 25, 2005
  6. Ken Oaf wrote:
    >> Thanks.

    > You will need to take a heap of AA's with you if you plan to use
    > alkalines. I have the model preceding the 7000, the S602z and I can
    > barely get 10 shots with alkalines but many hundred with a set of
    > NiMH.

    How about non-rechargable Lithium AA batteries? They are expensive, but will
    last longer than NiMh rechargable (and alkaline).

    --
    Frode P. Bergsager
    Frode P. Bergsager, Feb 25, 2005
  7. tzipple

    tzipple Guest

    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. If I really can not effectively use
    alklaine batteries, I see no great advantage to the S7000.

    tzipple, Feb 26, 2005
  8. tzipple

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Thanks for the thoughts everyone. If I really can not effectively use
    > alklaine batteries, I see no great advantage to the S7000.
    >
    > tzipple wrote:
    > > I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
    > > 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
    > > to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
    > >
    > > So, I want a:
    > > * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
    > > * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
    > > * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
    > > * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will
    > > be hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
    > > *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
    > >
    > > I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
    > > on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
    > > Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

    I cant think of ANY digital camera worth owning that will work more than a
    few minutes on Alkaline batteries.

    They cant handle the load.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Feb 26, 2005
  9. tzipple

    tzipple Guest

    Are they better on lithium?

    tzipple, Feb 26, 2005
  10. tzipple

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    tzipple <> wrote:

    > I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
    > 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
    > to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
    >
    > So, I want a:
    > * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
    > * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
    > * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
    > * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will be
    > hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
    > *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
    >
    > I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
    > on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
    > Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

    There is chromatic aberration at the interpolated 12.6 megapixels but
    not enough to worry about - you can only see it at high magnification on
    high contrast areas. You can also shoot raw and Photoshop 8 should be
    able to handle that. The auto-focus can be overly aggressive and klunky
    at times - there doesn't seem to be a way of fixing focus on infinity,
    even in the SP 'mountain' mode.
    The on switch is a little difficult to use - switching from shoot to
    play mode often results in 'over switch' meaning the camera shuts down -
    seconds of delay while the lens retracts, switch on, lens extends. Also
    the manual exposure switch can be easily moved.

    Apart from these slight niggles, I'm very happy with the results. You
    should buy at least a 1Mb CF or xD card (210 pix at 12.6, 80 in RAW) to
    be useful. I travelled through Scotland with it last summer (with an
    Apacer Disc Steno). I haven't yet realised the full potential of this
    camera yet.
    Stewy, Feb 26, 2005
  11. tzipple

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:09:11 -0600, tzipple <> wrote:

    > Are they better on lithium?

    Yes, but that is an expensive way to go.
    Ken Oaf, Feb 26, 2005