Fujifilm FinePix S7000 a battery killer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi

    I've bought the S7000 this week and wondered about experiences with battery
    life. User manual says something like 200 frames from the supplied set of
    batteries (the 'AA' alkalines). I managed to get around 60 frames out of a
    set of batteries, using a mixture of the LCD and EVF and using the flash
    about 5 times, and switching the camera off and on every 10 frames.

    This seems alot short of the quoted battery life estimates I have seen in
    the manual and posted on the internet.

    I know of the problem the S7000 had with CF cards, but I expect that I have
    one manufactured after the fault was corrected, and the batteries are not
    dying overnight, just through usage. I am currently using a 256Mb Viking CF
    card.

    I have just purchased 2 sets of 2400 maH batteries, and Im hoping I get much
    better life out of the rechargables than the alkalines.

    Is this battery life normal, or do I have a faulty power hungry camera?

    Steve.

    Steve, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Hi Steve,

    << I've bought the S7000 this week and wondered about experiences with battery
    life. User manual says something like 200 frames from the supplied set of
    batteries (the 'AA' alkalines). >>

    << I have just purchased 2 sets of 2400 maH batteries, and Im hoping I get much

    better life out of the rechargables than the alkalines. >>

    Good move! You'll get much better results with rechargeables. I've been using
    an S7000 for several months now and get good results for battery life with my
    NiMH set.

    Enjoy your new camera and good luck with your pics.

    Best,

    Conrad

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad Weiler, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Steve wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've bought the S7000 this week and wondered about experiences with battery
    > life. User manual says something like 200 frames from the supplied set of
    > batteries (the 'AA' alkalines). I managed to get around 60 frames out of a
    > set of batteries, using a mixture of the LCD and EVF and using the flash
    > about 5 times, and switching the camera off and on every 10 frames.
    >
    > This seems alot short of the quoted battery life estimates I have seen in
    > the manual and posted on the internet.
    >
    > I know of the problem the S7000 had with CF cards, but I expect that I have
    > one manufactured after the fault was corrected, and the batteries are not
    > dying overnight, just through usage. I am currently using a 256Mb Viking CF
    > card.
    >
    > I have just purchased 2 sets of 2400 maH batteries, and Im hoping I get much
    > better life out of the rechargables than the alkalines.
    >
    > Is this battery life normal, or do I have a faulty power hungry camera?
    >
    > Steve.

    I too have the Fuji S7000 as well as a Canon EOS 300D digital rebel.
    Both are great cameras and I use them equally as much. The S7000 was
    eating batteries like potatoe chips when I just gave up on the CF
    memory. Now I have a 256 meg SD and a microdrive (CFII) and the
    batteries go and go. I would suggest selling the CF to a buddy and get
    some XD. XD is FAST and is really what the camera is made to work with.
    I wouldn't assume that the camera was fixed for CF. Although the S7000
    is a little noisy when you zoom in to the subatomic level, it is easily
    fixed with photoshops RAW (if it bothers you). But the pictures it takes
    are excellent. One more thing, the extension tubes are available
    somewhere on the net (I forgot) for under $10.00. Then you can put a
    polarizing filter on, WOW - whicked sky shots! Great camera!

    Butch Lacadie

    Butch Lacadie, Sep 22, 2004
  4. Steve

    Ron Guest

    > One more thing, the extension tubes are available
    > somewhere on the net (I forgot) for under $10.00. Then you can put a
    > polarizing filter on, WOW - whicked sky shots! Great camera!
    >
    > Butch Lacadie

    Uhh, that'd be Camera Filters dot com.

    http://www.camerafilters.com/default.aspx

    Around $7.00 for the extension tube. Damn, I wish I'd found out about this
    place before I bought my tube from Fuji for $45. What a rip-off!!

    Ron

    Ron, Sep 22, 2004