    experience with this unit? Good / Bad ?

    Thanks,

    Greg

    Greg, Oct 24, 2006

  2. Greg

    m Ransley Guest

    m Ransley, Oct 24, 2006

  3. Greg

    ASAAR Guest

    On 24 Oct 2006 12:04:26 -0700, Greg wrote:

    > I'm looking at purchasing the Fujifilm FinePix S5200. Consumer Reports
    > rates this a 79/100 and is a CR best buy. Does anyone have any
    > experience with this unit? Good / Bad ?

    Not with that model. I have its predecessor, the 4mp S5100, and
    it's been a very good camera. The S5100 is so efficient that unless
    you take a lot of pictures that require the flash, you don't even
    need to use rechargeable NiMH batteries. A set of alkalines used
    for daylight photos can last for 800 shots. The S5200 requires even
    less battery power than the S5100. The wide end of the 10x zoom
    lens isn't especially wide, but it may be sufficient for you. If
    not, Fuji's wide angle lens adapter is very good and doesn't degrade
    images as cheaper lens adapters often do. I don't know about the
    S5200, but the S5100 is able to zoom in at up to a bit more than 14x
    when reviewing pictures, which I believe is more than most other
    cameras, and this can be quite useful. After nearly 2 years, the
    S5100 is still performing as well as the day I first used it. I
    haven't used it very much for videos, but it does a good job with
    them too. If you get it, I'd recommend getting a 1GB type M xD
    card. They're much cheaper now than when I got mine. The type H
    cards are a little faster, but probably won't provide any advantage
    over the type M cards in the S5200. But they're more expensive, and
    have compatibility problems with some card readers. The only thing
    that I found that the S5100 didn't do very well relates to manual
    focusing. It can do it, but slooooowly, and not nearly as easily or
    accurately as Fuji's much larger S9000. But then manual focusing is
    rarely needed or desired. If it is, then a real DSLR would probably
    be the way to go.

    ASAAR, Oct 24, 2006