    is there some function or setting I have inadvertently activated? As I
    said this camera is new to me and I am still unfamiliar with it . I
    need some advise or suggestions please.
    trg-s338, Oct 31, 2006

  2. trg-s338

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    What type of batteries are you using?

    Digital cameras will go through alkalines very quickly.
    If you use Nimh rechargables, you should get better milage.

    Gadi

    Gadi Ben-Avi, Oct 31, 2006

  3. trg-s338

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "trg-s338" <> wrote:

    > Just got this camera a week ago. Low battery sign keeps comming up
    > just about daily. New batteries placed each time but battery life is
    > ridiculously short. I don't keep the camera on or use it extensively,
    > maybe 10 pix per day if that and just the usual review and delete
    > involved in editing. Does this camera really use that much energy or
    > is there some function or setting I have inadvertently activated? As I
    > said this camera is new to me and I am still unfamiliar with it . I
    > need some advise or suggestions please.

    Are you using NiMh, NiCads or even plain Alkalines? NiMh are the ones to
    buy for digital cameras.
    Stewy, Oct 31, 2006
  4. trg-s338

    m Ransley Guest

    Something is wrong if you are using NiMh, either your camera, charger or
    a dead cell, try a voltmeter on your cells and exchange whats bad.
    m Ransley, Oct 31, 2006
  5. trg-s338

    trg-s338 Guest

    Gadi Ben-Avi wrote:
    > What type of batteries are you using?
    >
    > Digital cameras will go through alkalines very quickly.
    > If you use Nimh rechargables, you should get better milage.
    >
    > Gadi
    >
    > "trg-s338" <> wrote in message
    > > Just got this camera a week ago. Low battery sign keeps comming up
    > > just about daily. New batteries placed each time but battery life is
    > > ridiculously short. I don't keep the camera on or use it extensively,
    > > maybe 10 pix per day if that and just the usual review and delete
    > > involved in editing. Does this camera really use that much energy or
    > > is there some function or setting I have inadvertently activated? As I
    > > said this camera is new to me and I am still unfamiliar with it . I
    > > need some advise or suggestions please.

    I have been using plain Alkaline batteries. Have some NiMh that came
    with the camera kit,
    I'll have to gauge battery life using them. I just happen to have a
    bunch of Alkalines. Is there any particular brand of NiMH batteries to
    recommend or are they pretty much all the same? Where do you buy
    yours, online or retail store?
    trg-s338, Nov 1, 2006
  6. trg-s338

    Paul Guest

    NiMh are the best bet. These should take 10 times as many shots as you
    are getting, however the negative side of NiMh is that they have a self
    discharge rate of up to 3% per day, so they need to be charged within a
    few days of usage if you want to take a reasonable number of shots on
    one charge.
    There are also new Lithium disposable batteries which take up to 600
    shots and last for years if rarely used. Still much cheaper than a
    similar number of shots from a large number of Alkalines.
    It all has to do with the voltage curve. Alkalines start at 1.5 volt but
    quickly drop through 1.2v (which is the nominal voltage of NiMh). NiMh
    stay at 1.2V until flat. You might notice this behaviour with the
    battery indicator on your camera. With Alkalines you take a couple of
    shots and the low battery indicator comes on, but you can take 10 to 20
    more shots. With NiMh the low battery indicator comes on and you are
    lucky to get a few more shots.
    It is also a risk to take more shots when the indicator comes. The last
    thing you want is for the batteries to go flat during a write to the
    memory card. This may scramble the contents of you card. Low battery
    really means replace or recharge the batteries.

    Paul, Nov 1, 2006
  7. trg-s338

    trg-s338 Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > NiMh are the best bet. These should take 10 times as many shots as you
    > are getting, however the negative side of NiMh is that they have a self
    > discharge rate of up to 3% per day, so they need to be charged within a
    > few days of usage if you want to take a reasonable number of shots on
    > one charge.
    > There are also new Lithium disposable batteries which take up to 600
    > shots and last for years if rarely used. Still much cheaper than a
    > similar number of shots from a large number of Alkalines.
    > It all has to do with the voltage curve. Alkalines start at 1.5 volt but
    > quickly drop through 1.2v (which is the nominal voltage of NiMh). NiMh
    > stay at 1.2V until flat. You might notice this behaviour with the
    > battery indicator on your camera. With Alkalines you take a couple of
    > shots and the low battery indicator comes on, but you can take 10 to 20
    > more shots. With NiMh the low battery indicator comes on and you are
    > lucky to get a few more shots.
    > It is also a risk to take more shots when the indicator comes. The last
    > thing you want is for the batteries to go flat during a write to the
    > memory card. This may scramble the contents of you card. Low battery
    > really means replace or recharge the batteries.
    >
    > trg-s338 wrote:
    > > Just got this camera a week ago. Low battery sign keeps comming up
    > > just about daily. New batteries placed each time but battery life is
    > > ridiculously short. I don't keep the camera on or use it extensively,
    > > maybe 10 pix per day if that and just the usual review and delete
    > > involved in editing. Does this camera really use that much energy or
    > > is there some function or setting I have inadvertently activated? As I
    > > said this camera is new to me and I am still unfamiliar with it . I
    > > need some advise or suggestions please.

    Thanks for your informative responses, you guys are great! I'll buy
    some more NiMh batteries and use the camera for a while to get a feel
    for its energy use. Good advise on changing the NiMh battery once
    indicated low, I wasn't aware of that characterisitic of this type of
    battery.
    trg-s338, Nov 1, 2006
  8. trg-s338

    RichG Guest

    I carry six AA NiMH batteries with me at all times. Two are in the camera,
    four in the side pouch of the case. As soon as I see the battery indicator
    below 1 / 2 ( AND I am staying out taking shots)...I change the batteries
    and re-charge the low set when I get home. I know I should completely
    discharge the batteries from time to time and that is supposed to lengthen
    their charged time...but so far, this method has kept me shooting.

    I have recently purchased four more NiMh batteries for use when I can't get
    to a charger for a day or two.

    regards, RichG TX/IL
    -
    http://groups.msn.com/DigitalPhotographyClub
    http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners
    ..
    RichG, Nov 1, 2006
  9. trg-s338

    m Ransley Guest

    Energiser and Sanyo have verified output, many cheaper off brand NiMh
    are rebadged some are even overrated on ma purposly.
    m Ransley, Nov 1, 2006
  10. trg-s338

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:48:54 +1100, Paul wrote:

    > It all has to do with the voltage curve. Alkalines start at 1.5 volt but
    > quickly drop through 1.2v (which is the nominal voltage of NiMh). NiMh
    > stay at 1.2V until flat. You might notice this behaviour with the
    > battery indicator on your camera. With Alkalines you take a couple of
    > shots and the low battery indicator comes on, but you can take 10 to 20
    > more shots. With NiMh the low battery indicator comes on and you are
    > lucky to get a few more shots.

    Alkalines have a much steeper voltage curve, but they provide
    their power while dropping from a bit more than 1.5 volts down to
    0.6 volts or lower. That is, they'll continue providing power over
    that range, but only to devices that won't power off early. Usually
    motors and non-digital electronic devices are the ones that can
    operate down to very low voltages. Such devices can quickly kill
    rechargeable batteries though. NiMH cells quickly drop to about 1.2
    volts, but with continued use will show steadily decreasing voltage
    until they reach about 1.0 volts. At that point they're just about
    100% depleted and need to be recharged. What you say about NiMH
    batteries dying soon after the low battery indicator comes on is
    true, but when that happens with alkaline batteries, you might get
    far more than another 10 or 20. When that happened with my camera,
    it was able to take more than 400 additional shots. There's a trick
    involved though, where the shooting conditions before and after the
    warning weren't the same. Hint: The flash was involved. :)

    > It is also a risk to take more shots when the indicator comes. The
    > last thing you want is for the batteries to go flat during a write to
    > the memory card. This may scramble the contents of you card.
    > Low battery really means replace or recharge the batteries.

    It's a shame that some?/most? cameras aren't smart enough to avoid
    that kind of damage. I've seen battery powered MD and mp3 recorders
    that flash a "low battery" warning and refuse to record when asked
    to do so if the batteries are too low.
    ASAAR, Nov 2, 2006