Fujifilm Announces S3 Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ouyno siekoj, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. ouyno siekoj

    ouyno siekoj Guest

    Fujifilm has today announced a camera which will no doubt turn quite a
    few heads. The S3 Pro has a 12 megapixel SuperCCD IV which produces a
    huge 24 megapixel image (yes, twenty four).

    Fujifilm UK press release:

    The FinePix S3 Pro: an exceptional combination of high-resolution
    images and cutting-edge features for the professional photographer

    New professional digital SLR sets new standards for price and
    performance; 4th Generation Super CCD with 12 million effective pixels
    delivers a massive 24 million pixel image.

    Fujifilm today announced the FinePix S3 Pro digital camera, the widely
    anticipated successor to the acclaimed FinePix S2 Pro. The new digital
    SLR builds upon its predecessor's reputation for outstanding picture
    colour and detail while giving professional photographers even greater
    control over the taking, editing, storing and transferring of
    high-resolution images, both in the studio and on location.

    The FinePix S3 Pro boasts the 4th generation of Fujifilm's Super CCD
    sensor. The sensor, which has 12 million effective pixels is capable
    of producing 24 million (6384 x 3760) recorded pixels for pictures
    with stunning colour and detail that are designed to please even the
    most demanding professional photographer.

    The FinePix S3 Pro also features a CCD Raw mode, which delivers the
    image before it has been processed by the camera's internal
    algorithmic settings, thereby liberating professional photographers to
    experiment with their photographs as they see fit.

    New features at a glance

    New 4th Generation Super CCD sensor and advanced LSI algorithm (12
    million effective pixels) producing an astounding 24 million recorded
    pixels (6384 x 3760)
    Compatible with all AF-D type, AF-G type and AF-S type Nikkor lenses
    New, hard-wearing body design
    High ISO values (100-3200)
    72 MB uncompressed file, 144 MB CCD-Raw file (16 bit TIFF-RGB)
    High speed shooting at up to 6 frames per second
    Dynamic AF, Dynamic AF with closest-subject-priority, Single Area AF
    and Focus Tracking
    Dual IEEE1394 FireWire and USB interface for image transfer and
    computer-controlled shooting
    Dual media slots for SmartMedia and Compactflash type II (IBM
    Microdrive compatible)
    NTFS File System support
    Cross-ranged, five area Autofocus System
    3D Matrix*, Centre-Weighted and Spot Metering
    3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill Flash
    Flexible Program mode
    24 Custom settings
    Flash Synch socket (X-type)
    Audio recording with voice caption mode
    * With D-type lenses

    The FinePix S3 Pro features a host of cutting edge camera functions
    and has a Nikon F mount that is fully compatible with all Nikkor AF-D
    lenses, including the latest AF-S type professional optics. Inside the
    changes are equally fundamental, with a fourth generation Super CCD
    sensor with 12 million effective pixels providing an class-leading 24
    million pixel output.

    4th Generation Super CCD and advanced LSI for stunning image quality

    At the heart of the FinePix S3 Pro lies the 4th Generation Super CCD
    sensor. Already renowned for its class-leading colour reproduction,
    high sensitivity and low noise, the latest incarnation of Fujifilm's
    unique technology offers significant improvements in sensitivity (up
    to 3200 ISO) and even lower levels of noise.

    The higher sensitivity of the new Super CCD system brings with it
    several significant benefits, especially in challenging lighting
    situations. Users can now choose to shoot hand-held photographs
    without flash in situations that would be impossible with other
    digital cameras, even by candlelight. Professional photographers using
    the FinePix S3 Pro will find the added versatility of noise-free
    shooting at such high ISO sensitivities invaluable. Fujifilm has
    managed to overcome the most serious problem associated with higher
    sensitivity - that increasing sensitivity generally amplifies unwanted
    noise in the image. The 4th generation Super CCD system resolves this
    problem through the use of Fujifilm's new Noise Reduction Technology,
    which utilises a new LSI to process both the luminescence and chroma
    information from captured images before removing the noise element.

    As a result, the 4th generation Super CCD system offers high
    sensitivity shooting while maintaining outstanding picture quality.
    Fujifilm has also newly developed a Pixel Data Coupling Technology
    that is applied by the new LSI to realise the higher sensitivities.
    From light location work to high-speed sports and action photography
    the ability to shoot at up to 3200 ISO without the worry of noise
    causing significant degradation to the image will have profound
    benefits for all professionals.
    In addition, a new auto white balance algorithm guarantees perfect
    colour by incorporating focus distance information into the
    calculation, whilst a new digital signal processing system improves
    sharpness without any increasing noise.

    The 4th generation Super CCD is not just a new CCD, but reflects a
    comprehensive improvement in overall image quality through
    consideration of the complete system, including the CCD and the new
    LSI featuring an advanced image-processing algorithm.
    Super CCD's proven ability to capture a wide dynamic range with rich,
    accurate colours in any shooting situation together with the
    technological improvements in its latest incarnation mean the FinePix
    S3 Pro is a uniquely powerful solution for the working photographer
    demanding the ultimate in quality and versatility.

    The camera has a shutter speed of 30 to 1/8000 second and continuous
    shooting of approximately 6 frames per second for up to twenty four
    frames. Its adjustable ISO equivalents of
    100/160/200/400/800/1600/3200 allow for picture taking under a wide
    range of challenging lighting conditions. For further flexibility, the
    S3 Pro has a variety of high-end photographic controls, including four
    shooting modes (single frame, continuous, preview and multiple
    exposure), four exposure modes (multi-programmed AE, shutter-priority
    AE, aperture-priority AE and manual exposure control. In addition,
    there are nine modes for white balance (auto, fine, shade,
    incandescent light, two custom settings and three for fluorescent
    light).

    The FinePix S3 Pro can record images at four resolutions (6384 x 3760,
    4,256 x 2,848, 3,024 x 2,016, and 2,304 x 1,536 pixels) and in three
    file formats (TIFF-RGB, CCD-Raw and JPEG). There are two compression
    modes (fine and normal) within the JPEG file format, and captured
    images can be viewed on the camera's 1.8-inch low-temperature
    polysilicon TFT monitor with 100% frame coverage.

    In addition, the FinePix S3 Pro offers the advantage of a dual-storage
    media option: SmartMedia™ and CompactFlash™ Type II. The CompactFlash
    slot is compatible with IBM's Microdrive™. It also incorporates a fast
    dual PC interface, allowing for increased workflow with the speedy
    transfer of very large image files from the camera to a PC via IEEE
    1394 (FireWire) or USB 1.1 interface.

    Despite the high specification and resolution the FinePix S3 Pro still
    offers superb value for money. High end features such as FireWire
    (IEEE1394) connectivity, IBM Microdrive compatibility, NTFS support,
    CCD-RAW and TIFF modes mean the FinePix S3 Pro offers similar levels
    of specification to competitive models costing thousands of pounds
    more. Add to this the stunning high resolution, low noise and
    class-leading colour reproduction produced by the Super CCD sensor and
    you have a very compelling professional camera.

    "The FinePix S3 Pro represents an exciting opportunity for
    professional and enthusiast photographers wanting a high
    specification, high-resolution digital SLR that won't break the bank,"
    comments Michelle da Gama, Fujifilm's UK Digital Imaging Marketing
    Manager. "Fujifilm has once again managed to set the pace for high end
    digital cameras with a product that redefines the price/performance
    equation and offers truly outstanding output quality."

    Availability and Pricing

    The FinePix S3 Pro is expected to be available from January with an
    estimated body price of under £4,000 including VAT.

    ouyno siekoj, Nov 29, 2003

  2. "ouyno siekoj" <> wrote in message
    > Fujifilm has today announced a camera which will no doubt turn quite a
    > few heads. The S3 Pro has a 12 megapixel SuperCCD IV which produces a
    > huge 24 megapixel image (yes, twenty four).
    >
    > Fujifilm UK press release:

    Funny there's nothing about this on Fujifilm UK's web site...

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Nov 29, 2003

  3. ouyno siekoj

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Howard McCollister wrote:
    > "ouyno siekoj" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Fujifilm has today announced a camera which will no doubt turn quite a
    >>few heads. The S3 Pro has a 12 megapixel SuperCCD IV which produces a
    >>huge 24 megapixel image (yes, twenty four).

    > Funny there's nothing about this on Fujifilm UK's web site...

    Try reading the original poster's name backwards . . .

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Nov 29, 2003
  4. "ouyno siekoj" <> wrote in message
    > Fujifilm has today announced a camera which will no doubt turn quite a
    > few heads. The S3 Pro has a 12 megapixel SuperCCD IV which produces a
    > huge 24 megapixel image (yes, twenty four).
    >
    > Fujifilm UK press release:

    Ah, I get it...you've just taken the press announcement for the S2 Pro from
    a couple of years ago and substituted "S3" for "S2" and a few other little
    changes.

    An attempted scam of only a little imagination. Fairly nice try, though...

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Nov 29, 2003
  5. I saw the Jokes on You reverse name, but from what I hear Fuji may introduce
    the S3 Pro at the Feb 10~11, 2004 DIMA Show or the Feb 12~15, 2004 PMA show
    in Los Vegas.

    Darrell Larose, Nov 29, 2003
  6. Howard McCollister wrote:

    > Ah, I get it...you've just taken the press announcement for the S2 Pro from
    > a couple of years ago and substituted "S3" for "S2" and a few other little
    > changes.
    >
    > An attempted scam of only a little imagination. Fairly nice try, though...

    But it's not funny at all - I don't see the point of this post, except
    to just see if we would believe it. But so what? It isn't even that big
    a stretch.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 29, 2003
  7. "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > Howard McCollister wrote:
    >
    > > Ah, I get it...you've just taken the press announcement for the S2 Pro

    from
    > > a couple of years ago and substituted "S3" for "S2" and a few other

    little
    > > changes.
    > >
    > > An attempted scam of only a little imagination. Fairly nice try,

    though...

    > But it's not funny at all - I don't see the point of this post, except
    > to just see if we would believe it. But so what? It isn't even that big
    > a stretch.

    Only a stretch if we say it has a Foveon sensor ;)

    Darrell Larose, Nov 29, 2003
  8. ouyno siekoj

    PlaneGuy Guest

    Hmmmmm...... ouyno siekoj = jokeis onyou = joke is on yoy

    Or from the email address: = it.isjust@joke = it is just a
    joke.

    Have to say though, it does read lie a pretty hood press release though.

    PlaneGuy, Nov 29, 2003
  9. ouyno siekoj

    PlaneGuy Guest

    I reelly need a spel chekcer!!!

    PlaneGuy, Nov 29, 2003
  10. ouyno siekoj

    K2 Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:17:29 GMT, (ouyno siekoj) wrote:

    >Fujifilm has today announced a camera which will no doubt turn quite a
    >few heads. The S3 Pro has a 12 megapixel SuperCCD IV which produces a
    >huge 24 megapixel image (yes, twenty four).

    This must be a play on Fuji's tendency to overrate pixel capability.
    Well done farce, though!

    K2

    K2, Nov 29, 2003
  11. ouyno siekoj

    Bernhard Ess Guest

    Darrell Larose wrote:
    > but from what I hear

    Well I have been reading postings about an "S3" of "reliable sources",
    "reputable dealers/ retailers", "Fuji reps" since months, and none of those
    nice little - made up - stories has proven any truth yet.

    >Fuji may
    > introduce the S3 Pro at the Feb 10~11, 2004 DIMA Show or the Feb
    > 12~15, 2004 PMA show in Los Vegas.

    I doesn't require much phantasy to imagine that with Canons and Nikon's new
    models, Fuji will have to announce something new early next year (with the
    S2 approaching the end of its second year on the market, as does the Canon
    1D right now) and that there are chances that the next DSLR will be called
    "S3" - big deal - but what this is not really overwhelming, as the true
    specs are still completely unknown.

    Bernie

    Bernhard Ess, Nov 29, 2003
  12. ouyno siekoj

    Mike Guest

    > Fujifilm has today announced a camera which will no doubt turn quite a
    > few heads. The S3 Pro has a 12 megapixel SuperCCD IV which produces a
    > huge 24 megapixel image (yes, twenty four).
    >
    > Fujifilm UK press release:

    Good try, but I have a feeling the S3 when it comes out will be in
    competition with the Canon D10 and will try and undercut that. If the S2 had
    been in the same body as the D100 Fuji would have outsold Nikon and Canon.
    As it is if you want to put a battery back on the S2 is a bit to big for
    comfort. Spoilt by the lack of a halfpennys worth of tar.
    MikeS

    Mike, Nov 29, 2003
  13. "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > "ouyno siekoj" <> wrote in message
    > > Fujifilm has today announced a camera which will no doubt turn quite a
    > > few heads. The S3 Pro has a 12 megapixel SuperCCD IV which produces a
    > > huge 24 megapixel image (yes, twenty four).
    > >
    > > Fujifilm UK press release:
    > >

    > Good try, but I have a feeling the S3 when it comes out will be in
    > competition with the Canon D10 and will try and undercut that. If the S2

    had
    > been in the same body as the D100 Fuji would have outsold Nikon and Canon.
    > As it is if you want to put a battery back on the S2 is a bit to big for
    > comfort. Spoilt by the lack of a halfpennys worth of tar.
    > MikeS

    I guess perception varies. The S2 Pro already exceeds the 10D in
    performance. The S3 Pro ought to blow it out of the water. I don't think
    they will try to compete on price, since the only reason to undercut the 10D
    would be to try to pull Canon users over to the F-mount camp. I think it's
    highly unlikely they would even try to cut the price that much.

    As to form factor, I looked hard at the D100 vs the S2 Pro, and found the
    handling of the S2 Pro superior. Perception varies...

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Nov 29, 2003
  14. "Mike" <> writes:

    > "ouyno siekoj" <> wrote in message
    > > Fujifilm has today announced a camera which will no doubt turn quite a
    > > few heads. The S3 Pro has a 12 megapixel SuperCCD IV which produces a
    > > huge 24 megapixel image (yes, twenty four).
    > >
    > > Fujifilm UK press release:
    > >

    > Good try, but I have a feeling the S3 when it comes out will be in
    > competition with the Canon D10 and will try and undercut that. If the S2 had
    > been in the same body as the D100 Fuji would have outsold Nikon and Canon.

    Um, the S2 *is* in the same body as the D100; they're both based on
    the N80.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    Dragaera/Steven Brust: <dragaera.info/>