    to be compared directly to some current DSLR's and their better
    primes.

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=38026302

    RichA, Mar 22, 2011

  2. RichA

    Mike Guest

    On 22/03/2011 7:35 PM, Bruce wrote:
    > Paul Furman<> wrote:
    >
    >> RichA wrote:
    >>>

    > So to cap that, we have Rich Anderson, who has never seen, touched or
    > used the camera quoting someone else who has never seen, touched or
    > used the camera but claims there is a problem.
    >
    > It's easy to see where the *real* problem is. ;-)

    Rich has posted many sample photos that he has taken inside a Toronto
    Henry's store. It is clear that if he is not a Henry's employee, then he
    spends far too much time wasting their staff's time. He must try
    everything they have on the shelf, but even though he buys some items
    his try-to-buy ratio is low. When one factors in the small margins (15%
    more or less at Henry's) and the staff person's time. Henry's is losing
    money when Rich walks in the door.

    Mike, Mar 23, 2011

  3. RichA

    Peter N Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:23:47 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    > is like the S5. Premiering at $2400, dropping fast to the range of

    the
    > Nikon D200 ($1700) after less than flattering reviews comparing the

    two,
    > finally to end up at around $1000.00 being blown out by retailers.

    The D200 has been obsolete for several years. What is your point

    --
    Peter from my Droid

    Peter N, Mar 25, 2011
  4. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 26/03/2011 10:56 AM, Peter N wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:23:47 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >> is like the S5. Premiering at $2400, dropping fast to the range of

    > the
    >> Nikon D200 ($1700) after less than flattering reviews comparing the

    > two,
    >> finally to end up at around $1000.00 being blown out by retailers.

    > The D200 has been obsolete for several years. What is your point

    Obviously the D200 was put out at roughly the same time as the Fuji S5.
    Comparing contemporary camera gear from from competing manufacturers
    seems to be a mystery to you.

    dj_nme, Mar 26, 2011
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/25/2011 11:57 PM, dj_nme wrote:
    > On 26/03/2011 10:56 AM, Peter N wrote:
    >> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:23:47 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >>> is like the S5. Premiering at $2400, dropping fast to the range of

    >> the
    >>> Nikon D200 ($1700) after less than flattering reviews comparing the

    >> two,
    >>> finally to end up at around $1000.00 being blown out by retailers.

    >> The D200 has been obsolete for several years. What is your point

    > Obviously the D200 was put out at roughly the same time as the Fuji S5.
    > Comparing contemporary camera gear from from competing manufacturers
    > seems to be a mystery to you.

    Yes it is. Neither has any historical value, nor is either an antique.
    Otherwise, start a discussion of the Brownie vs the Argus C3.
    But, don't imply that either is a contemporary camera.
    Rich is a troll who never answers a straight question about documenting
    his conclusions and prejudices. Bruce, who I consider a blowhard, was
    spot on in his prior comment about the source for Rich's less than
    enlightened, conclusions.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Mar 26, 2011
  6. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 27/03/2011 1:07 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 3/25/2011 11:57 PM, dj_nme wrote:
    >>> the
    >>> two,
    >>>
    >>> The D200 has been obsolete for several years. What is your point

    >> Obviously the D200 was put out at roughly the same time as the Fuji S5.
    >> Comparing contemporary camera gear from from competing manufacturers
    >> seems to be a mystery to you.

    > Yes it is. Neither has any historical value, nor is either an antique.
    > Otherwise, start a discussion of the Brownie vs the Argus C3.
    > But, don't imply that either is a contemporary camera.
    > Rich is a troll who never answers a straight question about documenting
    > his conclusions and prejudices. Bruce, who I consider a blowhard, was
    > spot on in his prior comment about the source for Rich's less than
    > enlightened, conclusions.

    It is called a history lesson.
    If you don't want to learn from history, it is your own self-imposed
    problem.
    Against other similar cameras (Samsung NX, Panasonic u4/3, Olympus u4/3)
    it is more expensive and less versatile.
    The X100 will probably have the same sort of sudden price-drop as the S5.
    The next few months will be telling.

    dj_nme, Mar 26, 2011
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/26/2011 5:34 PM, dj_nme wrote:
    > On 27/03/2011 1:07 AM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> Obviously the D200 was put out at roughly the same time as the Fuji S5.
    >>> Comparing contemporary camera gear from from competing manufacturers
    >>> seems to be a mystery to you.

    >> Yes it is. Neither has any historical value, nor is either an antique.
    >> Otherwise, start a discussion of the Brownie vs the Argus C3.
    >> But, don't imply that either is a contemporary camera.
    >> Rich is a troll who never answers a straight question about documenting
    >> his conclusions and prejudices. Bruce, who I consider a blowhard, was
    >> spot on in his prior comment about the source for Rich's less than
    >> enlightened, conclusions.

    > It is called a history lesson.
    > If you don't want to learn from history, it is your own self-imposed
    > problem.
    > Against other similar cameras (Samsung NX, Panasonic u4/3, Olympus u4/3)
    > it is more expensive and less versatile.
    > The X100 will probably have the same sort of sudden price-drop as the S5.
    > The next few months will be telling.

    I have trouble considering the comparison of two obsolete cameras a
    "history lesson" of any importance.
    If you conclude that I am historically blind from my statement, then
    that is a conclusion that doesn't affect me.

    EOD

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Mar 26, 2011
  8. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 27/03/2011 9:17 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 3/26/2011 5:34 PM, dj_nme wrote:

    >>> Yes it is. Neither has any historical value, nor is either an antique.
    >>> Otherwise, start a discussion of the Brownie vs the Argus C3.
    >>> But, don't imply that either is a contemporary camera.
    >>> Rich is a troll who never answers a straight question about documenting
    >>> his conclusions and prejudices. Bruce, who I consider a blowhard, was
    >>> spot on in his prior comment about the source for Rich's less than
    >>> enlightened, conclusions.

    >> It is called a history lesson.
    >> If you don't want to learn from history, it is your own self-imposed
    >> problem.
    >> Against other similar cameras (Samsung NX, Panasonic u4/3, Olympus u4/3)
    >> it is more expensive and less versatile.
    >> The X100 will probably have the same sort of sudden price-drop as the S5.
    >> The next few months will be telling.

    > I have trouble considering the comparison of two obsolete cameras a
    > "history lesson" of any importance.
    > If you conclude that I am historically blind from my statement, then
    > that is a conclusion that doesn't affect me.

    As I wrote above: "it is your own self-imposed problem"
    If you don't wish to look to history to see what might happen in the
    future, then it is truly your own problem.
    Have it your way.

    dj_nme, Mar 27, 2011
  9. dj_nme <> wrote:

    > It is called a history lesson.
    > If you don't want to learn from history, it is your own self-imposed
    > problem.

    History teaches us a lot. Like posters with obvious fake
    names having usually little of worth to say hereabouts.

    > The X100 will probably have the same sort of sudden price-drop as the S5.
    > The next few months will be telling.

    So how many dollars are you willing to bet on that?
    None?
    Thought so.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 27, 2011
  10. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 27/03/2011 11:20 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > dj_nme<> wrote:
    >
    >> It is called a history lesson.
    >> If you don't want to learn from history, it is your own self-imposed
    >> problem.

    > History teaches us a lot. Like posters with obvious fake
    > names having usually little of worth to say hereabouts.

    You mean Like PerterN?

    >> The X100 will probably have the same sort of sudden price-drop as the S5.
    >> The next few months will be telling.

    > So how many dollars are you willing to bet on that?
    > None?

    As many "dollars" as you are.
    Why would I need to bet on anything?
    All products drop in price after they are released.
    Some plummet quite drastically in price as the manufacturer and
    distributors don't see the sales they were hoping for.

    > Thought so.
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    I will be proved correct by history.

    dj_nme, Mar 27, 2011
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/27/2011 6:57 PM, dj_nme wrote:
    > On 27/03/2011 11:20 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >> dj_nme<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is called a history lesson.
    >>> If you don't want to learn from history, it is your own self-imposed
    >>> problem.

    >> History teaches us a lot. Like posters with obvious fake
    >> names having usually little of worth to say hereabouts.

    > You mean Like PerterN?
    >
    >>> The X100 will probably have the same sort of sudden price-drop as the
    >>> S5.
    >>> The next few months will be telling.

    >> So how many dollars are you willing to bet on that?
    >> None?

    > As many "dollars" as you are.
    > Why would I need to bet on anything?
    > All products drop in price after they are released.
    > Some plummet quite drastically in price as the manufacturer and
    > distributors don't see the sales they were hoping for.
    >
    >> Thought so.
    >>
    >> -Wolfgang

    > I will be proved correct by history.

    Of course. It's obvious that my real email address is hard to demung

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Mar 28, 2011
  12. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 28/03/2011 10:57 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 3/27/2011 6:57 PM, dj_nme wrote:

    >>> History teaches us a lot. Like posters with obvious fake
    >>> names having usually little of worth to say hereabouts.

    >> You mean Like PerterN?

    >>> So how many dollars are you willing to bet on that?
    >>> None?

    >> As many "dollars" as you are.
    >> Why would I need to bet on anything?
    >> All products drop in price after they are released.
    >> Some plummet quite drastically in price as the manufacturer and
    >> distributors don't see the sales they were hoping for.
    >>
    >>> Thought so.
    >>>
    >>> -Wolfgang

    >> I will be proved correct by history.

    > Of course. It's obvious that my real email address is hard to demung

    So what.
    My email is real, I have no reason to alter my email address for NG posting.
    What are you trying to hide?

    dj_nme, Mar 28, 2011
  13. dj_nme <> wrote:
    > On 27/03/2011 11:20 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    >> History teaches us a lot. Like posters with obvious fake
    >> names having usually little of worth to say hereabouts.

    > You mean Like PerterN?

    More like "dj_nme", which doesn't even look like the contraction
    of a real name. Isn't even pronounceable. Feels like a mouth
    full of sharp edged stones.

    Tellingly, you cannot even write other peoples' names correctly.

    >>> The X100 will probably have the same sort of sudden price-drop as the S5.
    >>> The next few months will be telling.

    >> So how many dollars are you willing to bet on that?
    >> None?

    > As many "dollars" as you are.
    > Why would I need to bet on anything?

    Because you make a prediction.
    People who belive in their own predictions place real money on
    their predictions, the rest are rumor mongers, snake oil handlers,
    spin doctors and con artists.

    > All products drop in price after they are released.

    "the same sort of sudden price-drop" is something else.

    > Some plummet quite drastically in price as the manufacturer and
    > distributors don't see the sales they were hoping for.

    So you basically say that the sales for the X100 are disappointing.
    Interesting. You should sell some X100 now for later delivery
    at a lower price than current --- you'll surely make a great win
    when buying them in a couple of months.

    > I will be proved correct by history.

    Sure. In about 100 years, the price of the X100 will have dropped
    rather suddenly --- as you compare the prices once per decade.

    But you won't be remembered by history --- certainly not with
    such a lousy name.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 28, 2011
  14. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 29/03/2011 7:01 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > dj_nme<> wrote:
    >> On 27/03/2011 11:20 PM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    >>> History teaches us a lot. Like posters with obvious fake
    >>> names having usually little of worth to say hereabouts.

    >> You mean Like PerterN?

    > More like "dj_nme", which doesn't even look like the contraction
    > of a real name. Isn't even pronounceable. Feels like a mouth
    > full of sharp edged stones.
    >
    > Tellingly, you cannot even write other peoples' names correctly.

    At least I can stay on topic and write about the x100.
    You and "Peter N" have to go on a personal witch-hunt because you can't
    come up with a decently reasoned response.
    Where is your rebuttal of my pointing out the history of camera and
    electronics sales patterns?
    Where?

    >>> So how many dollars are you willing to bet on that?
    >>> None?

    >> As many "dollars" as you are.
    >> Why would I need to bet on anything?

    > Because you make a prediction.
    > People who belive in their own predictions place real money on
    > their predictions, the rest are rumor mongers, snake oil handlers,
    > spin doctors and con artists.

    I don't need to "belive" anything.
    Looking to history for a guide to what the future will hold is a
    reasonable thing to do.
    Attacking those you don't like (shooting the messenger) just makes your
    posts read like those of a child having a tantrum.

    >> All products drop in price after they are released.

    > "the same sort of sudden price-drop" is something else.
    >
    >> Some plummet quite drastically in price as the manufacturer and
    >> distributors don't see the sales they were hoping for.

    > So you basically say that the sales for the X100 are disappointing.
    > Interesting. You should sell some X100 now for later delivery
    > at a lower price than current --- you'll surely make a great win
    > when buying them in a couple of months.
    >
    >> I will be proved correct by history.

    > Sure. In about 100 years, the price of the X100 will have dropped
    > rather suddenly --- as you compare the prices once per decade.

    No, it will be like every other piece of electronics:
    Fairly expensive in the first few months of sales, but as more users get
    to use it and compare it against all of it's competition (u4/3, Sony Nex
    & Samsung NX cameras and lenses, maybe even against the lower end
    compact DSLR cameras as well), the sales will drop off (just like most
    other consumer grade, but pro priced gear does) and the price will fall
    within half a year of release.
    It is a pattern seen over and over again.
    If you don't believe me, wait until the end of this year and then get
    back to me on it.
    I will be proved correct.

    dj_nme, Mar 29, 2011
  15. dj_nme <> wrote:

    > At least I can stay on topic and write about the x100.

    No, just about a sudden price drop of the X100.

    > You and "Peter N" have to go on a personal witch-hunt because you can't
    > come up with a decently reasoned response.

    Yes, that'll be it. I'm after all the sole owner of all the X's
    and PeterN is the sole owner of all the 100's, and your rumors
    are killing our business. We've already paid the assassins.

    > Where is your rebuttal of my pointing out the history of camera and
    > electronics sales patterns?
    > Where?

    You never said anything about "the history of camera and
    electronics sales patterns". You just claimed a sudden price
    drop for one specific camera.

    The general pattern is not "a sudden price drop" but several
    price reductions over time, sometimes through rebates, btw.

    > I don't need to "belive" anything.

    Ah, you have no faith in your own predictions. Glad to hear that.

    > Looking to history for a guide to what the future will hold is a
    > reasonable thing to do.

    Sure. Assuming one looks at the right things.

    > Attacking those you don't like (shooting the messenger) just makes your
    > posts read like those of a child having a tantrum.

    You aren't a messenger, you are a rumor monger.
    Messengers report facts.

    >>> All products drop in price after they are released.

    [...]
    > No, it will be like every other piece of electronics:

    [...]
    > other consumer grade, but pro priced gear does) and the price will fall
    > within half a year of release.

    Sure. But that
    1. isn't a *sudden* (nor unexpected) price drop, it's an expected
    price reduction everybody knows about
    2. are you really sure that this is like every other pice of
    electronics?

    > I will be proved correct.

    Here's the price curve of a Leica M9 body (black)
    http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?phist=461464&age=2000
    As you can see, except for one special offer the price has
    been stable since OCT 2009 --- when it came to the market.

    Here's the price curve of a Thorens TD 350, a high end record
    player:
    http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?phist=346212&age=2000
    As you can see, the prices are rising.

    BTW. these were found in less than 2 minutes, and no, I had no
    previous knowledge of the prices.

    So, you'll now shoot the messenger because not every piece of
    electronics and or camera or 'all products' behaves like you
    predict.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 29, 2011
  16. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 30/03/2011 4:10 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > dj_nme<> wrote:
    >
    >> At least I can stay on topic and write about the x100.

    > No, just about a sudden price drop of the X100.

    That is still writing about the camera.
    You can't seem to help yourself but to attack me, meanwhile totally
    avoiding the topic at hand.

    >> You and "Peter N" have to go on a personal witch-hunt because you can't
    >> come up with a decently reasoned response.

    > Yes, that'll be it. I'm after all the sole owner of all the X's
    > and PeterN is the sole owner of all the 100's, and your rumors
    > are killing our business. We've already paid the assassins.

    Yet again, where is your reasoned response?
    Attacking me for expressing an opinion is called an "Ad hominem"
    response, attacking the messenger and not the message.
    Where is your rebuttal of my contention?

    >> Where is your rebuttal of my pointing out the history of camera and
    >> electronics sales patterns?
    >> Where?

    > You never said anything about "the history of camera and
    > electronics sales patterns".

    Yes I did.

    > You just claimed a sudden price
    > drop for one specific camera.

    The history of previous camera pricing is a good indication of the how
    the X100 will drop in price.

    > The general pattern is not "a sudden price drop" but several
    > price reductions over time, sometimes through rebates, btw.
    >
    >> I don't need to "belive" anything.

    > Ah, you have no faith in your own predictions. Glad to hear that.

    You meant to write "believe" instead?
    I don't "belive" anything, I can't make things "live" and so no
    "beliving" from me.

    >> Looking to history for a guide to what the future will hold is a
    >> reasonable thing to do.

    > Sure. Assuming one looks at the right things.

    You (or at least I am) are discussing the pricing of a camera.
    The history of previous camera pricing is a good indication of the how
    the X100 will drop in price.

    >> Attacking those you don't like (shooting the messenger) just makes your
    >> posts read like those of a child having a tantrum.

    > You aren't a messenger, you are a rumor monger.
    > Messengers report facts.

    BTW: You forgot a "u" in rumour.
    I expressed an opinion, just like you are attacking me for writing it.
    You must be special that you can't defend yours without attacking the
    messenger.
    Ad hominem is a pathetic type of response.

    > [...]
    >> No, it will be like every other piece of electronics:

    > [...]
    >> other consumer grade, but pro priced gear does) and the price will fall
    >> within half a year of release.

    > Sure. But that
    > 1. isn't a *sudden* (nor unexpected) price drop, it's an expected
    > price reduction everybody knows about

    Where did I say "sudden" or "unexpected"?
    You're just making things up.

    > 2. are you really sure that this is like every other pice of
    > electronics?

    Did you mean "price" or "piece" of electronics?
    I can't tell, but I can make a guess.

    Yes, I am pretty sure that the X100 will fall quite a lot in price after
    being out for about six months.
    Strangely enough, quite a lot of other cameras (and other electronics)
    follow the same pattern.

    >> I will be proved correct.

    > Here's the price curve of a Leica M9 body (black)
    > http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?phist=461464&age=2000
    > As you can see, except for one special offer the price has
    > been stable since OCT 2009 --- when it came to the market.
    >
    > Here's the price curve of a Thorens TD 350, a high end record
    > player:
    > http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?phist=346212&age=2000
    > As you can see, the prices are rising.
    >
    > BTW. these were found in less than 2 minutes, and no, I had no
    > previous knowledge of the prices.

    Wow.
    You found a couple of luxury collector items to totally discredit my
    contention.
    You must feel proud.

    > So, you'll now shoot the messenger because not every piece of
    > electronics and or camera or 'all products' behaves like you
    > predict.

    The price of MOST electronics falls within months of it's release.
    It is a fact of history.

    dj_nme, Mar 30, 2011
  17. dj_nme <> wrote:

    Dear dj_nme,

    You are so right.

    All I can say is that it's great form to find ad hominem whenever
    one disagrees with, say, your chosen handle for the same reasons
    you cite as your proof and it's even better form to mock others
    for their typos.

    But revising history and disowning Message-ID:
    <4d8e5bf5$0$3032$> (where you wrote
    about a sudden price drop) is really the pièce de résistance.

    I agree to let you 'win' and stop responding to your arguments.

    -Wolfgang

    PS: History will prove me right.

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 30, 2011
  18. RichA

    dj_nme Guest

    On 31/03/2011 4:23 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > dj_nme<> wrote:
    >
    > Dear dj_nme,
    >
    > You are so right.

    History will prove it so.

    > All I can say is that it's great form to find ad hominem whenever
    > one disagrees with, say,

    You were attacking me (not my contention) and doing nothing to refute my
    contention about the X100 pricing.
    That is what an "ad homineim" attack is: focusing on the person and not
    there argument.
    If that is too complicated for you, then it is entirely your problem.

    > your chosen handle for the same reasons
    > you cite as your proof and it's even better form to mock others
    > for their typos.

    Not bothering to check spelling before posting is entirely your problem
    as well.

    > But revising history and disowning Message-ID:
    > <4d8e5bf5$0$3032$> (where you wrote
    > about a sudden price drop) is really the pièce de résistance.
    >
    > I agree to let you 'win' and stop responding to your arguments.
    >
    > -Wolfgang
    >
    > PS: History will prove me right.

    Oh, so the x100 will cost full original list price forever?
    That is essentially what your contention seems to be.
    It's the most ridiculous thing you could possibly claim.

    dj_nme, Mar 30, 2011
  19. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    PeterN wrote:

    > >> The D200 has been obsolete for several years. What is your point

    > > Obviously the D200 was put out at roughly the same time as the Fuji S5.
    > > Comparing contemporary camera gear from from competing manufacturers
    > > seems to be a mystery to you.
    > >
    > > Yes it is. Neither has any historical value, nor is either an antique.
    > > Otherwise, start a discussion of the Brownie vs the Argus C3.

    <edited for brevity>

    The Argus C3 would absolutely clobber >any< Kodak Brownie, Peter! Please,
    become fair-minded and try to establish the photographic equivalents of
    boxing's weight divisions.

    Otherwise - in the true spirit of sportsmanship - the C3 should pick on
    something its own size, so to speak. It's quite shameful of the revered
    "brick," to beat the Bakelite out of bungling box cameras.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 31, 2011
  20. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    dj_nme wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > The X100 will probably have the same sort of sudden price-drop as the S5.
    > The next few months will be telling.

    Yeah, but, but, but, but...the Fuji X100 is soooo pretty!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 31, 2011