Fuji X10 / X-S1. It will NEVER be safe to buy one used now!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Mar 12, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Unless a reputable dealer has it, or you get to test it first.

    Fuji is only going to fix those cameras owned by people that contact
    them about the problem.
    I kind of like the 1. fix though, it's almost flippant! "Don't like
    orbs? Boost the ISO!!"

    The big question now is, how do Fuji initially miss this problem in
    QC??

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/12/Fujifil-X10-X-S1-white-disc-cause-and-fixes

    The FUJIFILM X10 and X-S1 digital cameras were made available by
    Fujifilm late last year, and have been generally very well received by
    customers, who admire the excellent picture quality, manual zoom lens
    and viewfinder.

    However, we did receive some inquiries concerning the so-called ‘white
    disc’ or ‘blooming’ occurrence, where exceptional highlights in the
    picture can appear as strongly delineated rounded shapes. This
    ‘blooming’ effect can occur with all digital cameras which use CMOS
    sensors, to varying degrees. It can also occur with the X10 and X-S1
    when shooting in certain conditions, e.g. cars with front lights
    shining in dark night scene. The X10 and X-S1 are fitted with a very
    advanced sensor, which gives excellent picture quality and low noise,
    but which does give a different ‘blooming’ effect from other cameras.

    Fujifilm has a long-standing history of delivering top quality
    products to the market. In response to our customers’ comments, we
    have worked hard to find an improvement to reduce the ‘blooming’
    effect of the X10 and X-S1. Below are the actions we have undertaken.

    In February, we announced a firmware upgrade for the X10 (version
    1.03) which does reduce the white disc occurrence specifically in EXR
    mode. It works by identifying scenes that are likely to get ‘white
    disc’ blooming. When the camera recognizes such a scene, it
    automatically increases the ISO and optimizes DR (dynamic range). As
    the ISO increases, the white discs are less evident. * New firmware
    for the X-S1 will be available from March 21, 2012.

    We will also develop a modified sensor, which will more
    universally resolve the ‘white disc’ blooming effect in all modes. We
    are working hard to make this new sensor available from late May 2012.

    We encourage any customer with an X10 and X-S1 who has experienced the
    ‘white disc’ phenomenon to call their local authorized Fujifilm
    service centre.

    Fujifilm is committed to delivering the highest quality products to
    the photographic community, and is happy to provide this improvement.

    RichA, Mar 12, 2012