Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jul 6, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Pie in the sky, Fuji. Talk is cheap.

    Reuters:

    Fujifilm aims to be world No. 3 in cameras
    Mon, Jul 4 2011

    By Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai

    OMIYA, Japan (Reuters) - Japan's Fujifilm aims to become the world's
    fourth largest camera maker by next March and the No. 3 manufacturer
    two years later, overtaking first rival Samsung and then Nikon, a
    senior company executive said.

    Until recently best known for inexpensive models, Fujifilm may also re-
    enter the more lucrative interchangeable lens camera market from which
    it withdrew in 2004, Takeshi Higuchi, head of the company's camera
    division, said in an interview with Reuters on Monday.

    The launch of a mirrorless camera, which has an electronic viewfinder,
    making it lighter and more compact than a professional-style single-
    lens reflex camera, would be an extension of Fujifilm's effort to move
    upmarket and would put it in direct competition with Sony.

    Earlier this year it launched the Finepix X100 high-end compact, which
    is made in Japan and sells for about 120,000 yen ($1,480).

    Higuchi insisted the company would have no problems developing a
    mirrorless camera or the required lenses by itself, denying the
    possibility of another acquisition in the industry.

    Last week copier and printer maker Ricoh, which also has a compact
    camera division, announced it was buying the Pentax camera business
    from Hoya.

    Fujifilm, which makes a wide range of products from medical equipment
    to cosmetics, barely broke even on cameras last year, but Higuchi
    plans to pull the business firmly into the black this year with
    production cost cuts and a marketing push that he says will keep unit
    prices higher.

    "We can do all the important development in-house, so we can use that
    to cut costs, but we don't have a very high-profile brand," Higuchi
    said. "We have debated why that is and the upshot was we should put
    out luxury models and spend more on publicity to build up the brand."

    In digital still camera unit sales, Fujifilm says it is currently in
    fifth position behind Canon, Sony, Nikon and Samsung, but adds it is
    confident that its plan to boost sales 25 percent to 14 million units
    this financial year will gain it the No. 4 spot.

    Apart from the Finepix X100, all the company's camera production is
    concentrated in China, but Fujifilm is planning to spread risk by
    starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
    Thailand looked promising.

    "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
    turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
    China," he added.

    A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
    year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
    Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    China will be maintained, he said.

    ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)

    (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    Gibbs)
    RichA, Jul 6, 2011

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/5/2011 7:47 PM, RichA wrote:
> [...]
    > confident that its plan to boost sales 25 percent to 14 million units
    > this financial year will gain it the No. 4 spot.
    >
    > Apart from the Finepix X100, all the company's camera production is
    > concentrated in China, but Fujifilm is planning to spread risk by
    > starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
    > Thailand looked promising.
    >
    > "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
    > turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
    > China," he added.
    >
    > A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
    > year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
    > Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    > China will be maintained, he said.
    >
    > ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
    >
    > (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina

    That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/

    Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 6, 2011

  3. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:58:55 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : On 7/5/2011 7:47 PM, RichA wrote:
    : > Pie in the sky, Fuji. Talk is cheap.
    : >
    : > Reuters:
    : >
    :
    : That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    : part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    :
    : Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

    Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
    dateline and the authors' and editor's names. Isn't that enough?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 6, 2011
  4. RichA

    Irwell Guest

> [...]

    >> starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
    >> Thailand looked promising.
    >>
    >> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
    >> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
    >> China," he added.
    >>
    >> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
    >> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
    >> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    >> China will be maintained, he said.
    >>
    >> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
    >>
    >> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    >> Gibbs)

    > That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    > part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    >
    > Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

    He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date
    and the authors, what more do you want?
    Irwell, Jul 6, 2011
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Fuji. So now interchangeable lenses are "luxury?"

    On Jul 6, 9:58 am, PeterN <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > starting some production in southeast Asia, said Higuchi, adding that
    > > Thailand looked promising.

    > > "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
    > > turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
    > > China," he added.

    > > A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
    > > year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
    > > Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    > > China will be maintained, he said.

    > > ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)

    > > (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    > > Gibbs)

    > That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    > part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    >
    > Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

    Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
    site.
    RichA, Jul 6, 2011
  6. RichA

    On Jul 6, 11:27 am, Irwell <> wrote:
> [...]

    > >> Thailand looked promising.

    > >> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
    > >> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
    > >> China," he added.

    > >> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
    > >> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
    > >> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    > >> China will be maintained, he said.

    > >> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)

    > >> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    > >> Gibbs)

    > > That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    > > part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/

    > > Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

    > He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date

    Someone to spoon feed him.
    RichA, Jul 6, 2011
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/6/2011 11:18 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> [...]
    > :> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
    > :> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
    > :> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    > :> China will be maintained, he said.
    > :>
    > :> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
    > :>
    > :> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    > :> Gibbs)
    > :
    > : That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    > : part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    > :
    > : Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
    >
    > Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
    > dateline and the authors' and editor's names. Isn't that enough?

    when quoting all or part of an article I use quotation marks. I also
    supply a link so the reader can see everything in context.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 6, 2011
  8. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/6/2011 11:27 AM, Irwell wrote:
> [...]
    >>> Thailand looked promising.
    >>>
    >>> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
    >>> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
    >>> China," he added.
    >>>
    >>> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
    >>> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
    >>> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    >>> China will be maintained, he said.
    >>>
    >>> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
    >>>
    >>> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    >>> Gibbs)

    >> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    >> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    >>
    >> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

    > He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date

    See my response to Bob Coe.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 6, 2011
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/6/2011 12:33 PM, RichA wrote:
> [...]

    >>> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
    >>> China," he added.

    >>> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
    >>> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
    >>> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    >>> China will be maintained, he said.

    >>> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)

    >>> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    >>> Gibbs)

    >> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    >> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    >>
    >> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters

    Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 6, 2011
  10. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 13:01:15 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

> [...]
    >> :> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    >> :> China will be maintained, he said.
    >> :>
    >> :> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
    >> :>
    >> :> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    >> :> Gibbs)
    >> :
    >> : That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    >> : part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    >> :
    >> : Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
    >> dateline and the authors' and editor's names. Isn't that enough?
    >>

    >when quoting all or part of an article I use quotation marks. I also
    >supply a link so the reader can see everything in context.

    Is that according to the Usenet manual of style?
    John A., Jul 6, 2011
  11. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 08:27:41 -0700, Irwell <> wrote:

> [...]
    >>> Thailand looked promising.
    >>>
    >>> "We do feel a risk in China in terms of wages and the high staff
    >>> turnover," Higuchi said. "We will seek a production site outside
    >>> China," he added.
    >>>
    >>> A decision will be made on the location by the end of the financial
    >>> year, he said. The firm is also conducting feasibility studies in
    >>> Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines. Current production levels in
    >>> China will be maintained, he said.
    >>>
    >>> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
    >>>
    >>> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    >>> Gibbs)

    >> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    >> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    >>
    >> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.

    >He does state the report is from Reuters and provides the date

    Well, he did say it was "dully" noted.
    John A., Jul 6, 2011
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/6/2011 1:20 PM, John A. wrote:
> [...]
    >>> :> China will be maintained, he said.
    >>> :>
    >>> :> ($1 = 80.835 Japanese Yen)
    >>> :>
    >>> :> (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds and Reiji Murai; Editing by Edwina
    >>> :> Gibbs)
    >>> :
    >>> : That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    >>> : part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    >>> :
    >>> : Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
    >>> dateline and the authors' and editor's names. Isn't that enough?
    >>>

    >> when quoting all or part of an article I use quotation marks. I also
    >> supply a link so the reader can see everything in context.

    > Is that according to the Usenet manual of style?

    An uncommon thing" Common courtesy and manners.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 6, 2011
  13. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 13:03:55 -0400, PeterN wrote:

    > On 7/6/2011 12:33 PM, RichA wrote:

    >>> That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    >>> part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    >>>
    >>> Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peter

    >> Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
    >> site.

    > Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.

    For ****'s sake you haave wasted five posts on this
    topic, be a man and admit you are wrong.
    Irwell, Jul 6, 2011
  14. RichA

    On Jul 6, 1:03 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 7/6/2011 12:33 PM, RichA wrote:

    > > Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
    > > site.

    > Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Yeah, sure. BTW, the President just called, he needs you,
    immediately!
    RichA, Jul 7, 2011
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/7/2011 10:01 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On Jul 6, 1:03 pm, PeterN<> wrote:
    >> On 7/6/2011 12:33 PM, RichA wrote:

    >>> Sorry to make you expend any energy by looking it up on the Reuters
    >>> site.

    >> Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to have.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Yeah, sure. BTW, the President just called, he needs you,
    > immediately!

    Did you learn that response in kindergarten, or first grade.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 7, 2011
  16. RichA

    Richard Guest

    PeterN wrote:
    > On 7/7/2011 10:01 AM, RichA wrote:

    >>> Not all of us have the amount of time to waste that you seem to
    >>> have. --
    >>> Peter

    >> Yeah, sure. BTW, the President just called, he needs you,
    >> immediately!

    > Did you learn that response in kindergarten, or first grade.

    We are indeed blessed that you don't have time to waste. How much more crap
    would you post ?
    Richard, Jul 8, 2011
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2011 6:16 AM, Richard wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:

    >>> Yeah, sure. BTW, the President just called, he needs you,
    >>> immediately!

    >> Did you learn that response in kindergarten, or first grade.

    > We are indeed blessed that you don't have time to waste. How much more crap
    > would you post ?

    And your last meaningful contribution was.....

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 8, 2011
  18. RichA

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Jul 8, 2011
  19. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/8/2011 8:44 AM, Richard wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:

    >>> We are indeed blessed that you don't have time to waste. How much
    >>> more crap would you post ?
    >>>

    >> And your last meaningful contribution was.....

    > We are indeed blessed that you don't have time to waste. How much more crap
    > would you post ?

    Genius, brilliant. Let's see any one positive contribution from you.
    you may have the last word.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 8, 2011
  20. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:

    > : On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:58:55 -0400, PeterN <>
    > : wrote:
    > : > On 7/5/2011 7:47 PM, RichA wrote:
    > : > Pie in the sky, Fuji. Talk is cheap.
    > : >
    > : > Reuters:
    > : >
    > : > Fujifilm aims to be world No. 3 in cameras
    > : > Mon, Jul 4 2011

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > : That's actually an intelligible report. I am of course talking about the
    > : part after your comment. Did you plagiarizer it/
    > :
    > : Your failure to provide quotes and a link to the original is dully noted.
    >
    > Am I missing something? He said it was from Reuters and included their
    > dateline and the authors' and editor's names.

    As Peter Newman noted, "RichA" neglected to include a URL to the Reuters
    story in question.

    Furthermore, he supplied the whole article, instead of excerpts. Nor did
    he use quotation marks, anywhere.

    > Isn't that enough?
    >
    > Bob

    Definitely not. It was a quick copy-and-paste job, with nary a thought
    given to proper posting procedures.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>