    will make the usual tests to get familiar with its operation and
    settings.

    Rv!

    Rv!, Apr 24, 2007

  2. Rv!

    Guest

    (sorry if this turns into a double post - computer sneezed)

    On Apr 24, 11:20 am, "Rv!" <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I've been given (though yet to receive) a small studio type flash
    > rated at about 50ws. Does anyone know the typical flash output
    > power of a camera's built in flash?

    Yes, but only as a Guide Number.. - the Fuji is 5.6m (I reckon it's
    closer to 5!), which is very meagre indeed. And when added to the
    slow recycle time, it makes that one of the very few weak areas of
    this fine camera).

    There is no direct conversion from ws to GN - Ellis Vener covered this
    on photo.net better than I could - I hope he forgives me for quoting
    him, thus:

    ".... while some studio flash manufacturers do publish guide numbers
    for specific head and reflector combinations, there cannot be a
    general rule or equation for converting GN to watt- seconds or vice
    versa. Watt-seconds is a measure of potential energy stored in flash
    units capacitors while guide numbers are derived from actual output of
    the flash unit. Additionally there are differences in how efficiently
    a flash head & pack or monolight convert the potential energy stored
    in the capacitors to actual light, and different reflectors further
    influence the intensity of light - -a wide angle or "umbrella"
    reflector spreads the light over a wide area while a narrow angle
    reflector concentrates the enrgy into a much narrower area of
    illumination. the final complication is that there is no industry wide
    standard for reflector choice , distance to subject , etc. used when
    taking the measurement. Even small flashes are subject to this lack of
    standards."

    Anyway, you'll probably find your studio flash will work out to
    somewhere between 15 and 25...? Who knows.

    > This is just to give me a rough idea of the extra flash power that
    > this little studio thing can offer. Once I get hold of this lamp I
    > will make the usual tests to get familiar with its operation and
    > settings.
    >
    > Rv!

    That's exactly what you need to do. Personally, I'd recommend a flash
    meter if you're serious, but it depends on how much time you can spend
    playing...

    , Apr 24, 2007