fuji s9000 test on dpreview!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tiresia2@hotmail.it, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Oct 31, 2005

  2. Rich Guest

    On 31 Oct 2005 15:32:06 -0800, wrote:

    >here
    >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS9000/
    >comments..

    Seems to have stomped the Panasonic FZ30 then got stomped itself
    by the Rebel XT comparison. Overall, I figure it was worth a "highly
    recommended" but it only got a "Recommended."
    -Rich
    Rich, Nov 1, 2005

  3. Paul Allen Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > On 31 Oct 2005 15:32:06 -0800, wrote:

    >>here
    >>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS9000/
    >>comments..

    > Seems to have stomped the Panasonic FZ30 then got stomped itself
    > by the Rebel XT comparison.

    Of course, the Rebel with the fixed 50mm lens blows everything
    away. That comparison is in there to show what a real camera
    is capable of.

    The differences between the Fuji and the Panasonic are more complex.
    The Panasonic has clearly superior optics and costs a little less.
    The Fuji has good noise characteristics up to perhaps ISO 400, but no
    image stabilizer, for a net advantage of close to zero. Both have
    mechanical zoom rings and fly-by-wire manual focus rings. The Panasonic
    has a 2" higher resolution LCD, but both have nice high-res viewfinders.
    The Fuji uses nice standard AA batteries, while the Panasonic uses yet
    another proprietary battery. Both are waaay larger and heavier than
    what I'm carrying around now.

    > Overall, I figure it was worth a "highly
    > recommended" but it only got a "Recommended."

    If I were writing a check today, I'd probably go for the FZ30. But
    if the FZ5 just had the sweet manual focus of its big brothers, I'd
    be all over it in a second. :)

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Nov 1, 2005
  4. Why manual focus? (was: Re: fuji s9000 test on dpreview!)

    Paul Allen" <"paul dot l dot allen at comcast dot net wrote:
    []
    > If I were writing a check today, I'd probably go for the FZ30. But
    > if the FZ5 just had the sweet manual focus of its big brothers, I'd
    > be all over it in a second. :)
    >
    > Paul Allen

    I have the FZ5 and I've not found the lack of manual focus a problem.
    What is there is your style of photography which makes manual focus so
    important?

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 1, 2005
  5. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:32:25 -0800, Paul Allen <> wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >> On 31 Oct 2005 15:32:06 -0800, wrote:

    >>>here
    >>>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS9000/
    >>>comments..

    >> Seems to have stomped the Panasonic FZ30 then got stomped itself
    >> by the Rebel XT comparison.

    > Of course, the Rebel with the fixed 50mm lens blows everything
    > away. That comparison is in there to show what a real camera
    > is capable of.
    >
    > The differences between the Fuji and the Panasonic are more complex.
    > The Panasonic has clearly superior optics and costs a little less.
    > The Fuji has good noise characteristics up to perhaps ISO 400, but no
    > image stabilizer, for a net advantage of close to zero.

    I was rather startled to read that the Fuji didn't have a stabilizer.
    It's pretty much standard equipment in most superzooms these days. A
    pity, really. Take the reasonably low-noise chip out of the Fuji, mate
    it with the lovely stabilized lens on the Panasonic, and we'd have
    something worth talking about.

    > If I were writing a check today, I'd probably go for the FZ30. But
    > if the FZ5 just had the sweet manual focus of its big brothers, I'd
    > be all over it in a second. :)

    Part of that is marketing, I think. Panasonic probably wants to preserve
    some distinctions between their large superzooms (FZ20/30) and small
    ones (FZ5, probably an 'FZ8' in the spring).

    The AF on the FZ5 works pretty well, BTW.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 1, 2005
  6. Paul Allen Guest

    Re: Why manual focus?

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Paul Allen" <"paul dot l dot allen at comcast dot net wrote:
    > []
    >
    >>If I were writing a check today, I'd probably go for the FZ30. But
    >>if the FZ5 just had the sweet manual focus of its big brothers, I'd
    >>be all over it in a second. :)
    >>
    >>Paul Allen

    > I have the FZ5 and I've not found the lack of manual focus a problem.
    > What is there is your style of photography which makes manual focus so
    > important?

    I sometimes lose close-up shots of wildflowers and the like as a result
    of my autofocus system focusing behind the subject. I'm tired of it.
    I've seen what's possible, in the form of the FZ10, and that's what I
    want.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Nov 2, 2005
  7. Re: Why manual focus?

    Paul Allen" <"paul dot l dot allen at comcast dot net wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:

    []
    >> I have the FZ5 and I've not found the lack of manual focus a problem.
    >> What is there is your style of photography which makes manual focus
    >> so important?

    > I sometimes lose close-up shots of wildflowers and the like as a
    > result of my autofocus system focusing behind the subject. I'm tired
    > of it. I've seen what's possible, in the form of the FZ10, and that's
    > what I want.
    >
    > Paul Allen

    Thanks, Paul. What I've done in similar circumstances is to operate the
    shutter half-press several times until I get a focus I like, and then move
    the camera (keeping the half press) to keep that focus distance. Sort of
    poor man's manual focus, if you like! Of course, using digital I can also
    take more than one attempt at a shot.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2005