Fuji S9000 announcement - interesting specifications..

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chrlz@go.com, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072803fuji_s9000z.asp

    "FinePix S9000 Zoom. It features a 10.7x optical zoom (28-300mm,
    f2.8-4.9) (with no image stabilization), ISO from 80 to 1600,
    twist-barrel zoom control, a tiltable 1.8-inch LCD, plus a 640 x 480
    movie mode.... Other features include a real time histogram, xD-Picture
    Card, CompactFlash and Microdrive compatibility, hotshoe and RAW
    format."

    Hmm. Wonder what the noise levels are like - the fact they are
    offering from 80-1600 is a good sign.. (It's a 1/1.6" sensor in case
    you are wondering.)

    But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???

    No pricing yet.
     
    , Jul 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. l e o Guest

    wrote:
    > Here:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072803fuji_s9000z.asp
    >
    > "FinePix S9000 Zoom. It features a 10.7x optical zoom (28-300mm,
    > f2.8-4.9) (with no image stabilization), ISO from 80 to 1600,
    > twist-barrel zoom control, a tiltable 1.8-inch LCD, plus a 640 x 480
    > movie mode.... Other features include a real time histogram, xD-Picture
    > Card, CompactFlash and Microdrive compatibility, hotshoe and RAW
    > format."
    >
    > Hmm. Wonder what the noise levels are like - the fact they are
    > offering from 80-1600 is a good sign.. (It's a 1/1.6" sensor in case
    > you are wondering.)
    >
    > But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???
    >
    > No pricing yet.



    Great specification but I have no high hope. The sensor size is not much
    bigger than F10 which is 5MP so it's packing way too many pixels to make
    good low light photography doubtful. F10 is good as a point of view as a
    P&S. It doesn't compare to dSLR but this S9000 might be worse than F10.
    There is no IS for such a long lens and small maximum (f/4.9) aperture
    at long end isn't that exciting either.
     
    l e o, Jul 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ASAAR Guest

    On 28 Jul 2005 19:15:01 -0700, wrote:

    > Hmm. Wonder what the noise levels are like - the fact they are
    > offering from 80-1600 is a good sign.. (It's a 1/1.6" sensor in case
    > you are wondering.)


    Sounds like an S7000 borrowing from the S5100's 37-370mm lens and
    the F10's highly sensitive sensor.


    > But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???


    If the more sensitive sensor allows 2 to 3 stops faster shutter
    speeds, you get the benefit that IS provides for all pictures,
    whether using a tripod or not. IS on the other hand doesn't always
    work as well as it should and helps drain the battery. If I could
    choose only one, I'd rather have the more sensitive sensor than IS,
    since it's also better for many low light pictures. If IS works
    well it can effectively compete with the F10 for flashless
    photography, but at the expense of slower shutter speeds. This
    isn't ideal, as IS doesn't reduce blur caused by subject motion.
     
    ASAAR, Jul 29, 2005
    #3
  4. Bill Tuthill Guest

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???


    If you think of it as an f/6-2=66.7 lens, maybe it won't seem as pushed.

    l e o <> wrote:
    >
    > Great specification but I have no high hope. The sensor size is not much
    > bigger than F10 which is 5MP so it's packing way too many pixels to make
    > good low light photography doubtful. F10 is good as a point of view as a
    > P&S. It doesn't compare to dSLR but this S9000 might be worse than F10.
    > There is no IS for such a long lens and small maximum (f/4.9) aperture
    > at long end isn't that exciting either.


    You can always shoot a 9 Mp camera at lower resolution. This one has
    3696x2464 for those who enjoy 3:2 (35mm aspect ratio) photography.
    The S9000 also offers 2592x1944, which when downsampled 50% produces
    1296x972 images that almost fit a 1280x1024 monitor.

    Personally I hate EVF so would probably buy a DSLR instead of the S9000
    but probably the S9000 lens is better than anything available for DSLR
    in a similar 10x zoom range.
     
    Bill Tuthill, Aug 1, 2005
    #4
  5. Bill Tuthill Guest

    >> wrote:
    >>> But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???

    >
    > If you think of it as an f/6-2=66.7 lens, maybe it won't seem as pushed.


    Make that f/6.2-66.7
     
    Bill Tuthill, Aug 1, 2005
    #5
  6. Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On 28 Jul 2005 19:15:01 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > > Hmm. Wonder what the noise levels are like - the fact they are
    > > offering from 80-1600 is a good sign.. (It's a 1/1.6" sensor in case
    > > you are wondering.)

    >
    > Sounds like an S7000 borrowing from the S5100's 37-370mm lens and
    > the F10's highly sensitive sensor.
    >
    >
    > > But 28-300 is pushing the lens optics an awfully long way, and no IS???

    >
    > If the more sensitive sensor allows 2 to 3 stops faster shutter
    > speeds, you get the benefit that IS provides for all pictures,
    > whether using a tripod or not. IS on the other hand doesn't always
    > work as well as it should and helps drain the battery. If I could
    > choose only one, I'd rather have the more sensitive sensor than IS,
    > since it's also better for many low light pictures. If IS works
    > well it can effectively compete with the F10 for flashless
    > photography, but at the expense of slower shutter speeds. This
    > isn't ideal, as IS doesn't reduce blur caused by subject motion.
    >
    >

    your argument would be better if the Fuji lens was constant aperture.
    you need the IS most at the long end and the constant f2.8 aperture of
    competitors like the Pana FZ20 helps then.
     
    Bruce Graham, Aug 6, 2005
    #6
  7. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:58:26 +1000, Bruce Graham wrote:

    > your argument would be better if the Fuji lens was constant aperture.
    > you need the IS most at the long end and the constant f2.8 aperture of
    > competitors like the Pana FZ20 helps then.


    The validity of the argument isn't affected by whether the lens
    has a constant aperture or not. If there was an FZ22 that used an
    f/8 constant aperture zoom lens it wouldn't be better for low light
    photography than the S9000. The S9000's lens is what it is. At the
    long end it needs help to reduce movement, and whether it gets it
    from mechanically moving a piece of glass (or the sensor) or using a
    more sensitive sensor is irrelevant, assuming that they both provide
    the same amount of help. But assuming the same amount of "camera
    movement" compensation, the S9000's method allows the use of a
    faster shutter speed, which also helps stop subject movement. The
    FZ20's use of a constant aperture lens gains some of this benefit at
    the long end of its focal length, but its lens is a completely
    independent factor. It provides more light in certain cases, but
    the price for this is a larger, heavier lens at all of its focal
    lengths. It's not that my argument would be better if the Fuji had
    a similar lens. It's that the Fuji would be even better for low
    light photography (at longer focal lengths) if it had a similar
    constant aperture lens. But then it, too would be larger and
    heavier.
     
    ASAAR, Aug 6, 2005
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Graham Archer

    Panasonic Lumix FZ30 V Fuji Finepix S9500 (S9000)

    Graham Archer, Sep 4, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    833
    David J Taylor
    Sep 6, 2005
  2. Graham Archer

    Any photos with the Fuji Finepix S9500 (or S9000)?

    Graham Archer, Sep 7, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    333
    Darrell
    Sep 8, 2005
  3. Graham Archer

    Fuji Finepix S9500 (S9000) sample photos

    Graham Archer, Sep 10, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    508
    l e o
    Sep 12, 2005
  4. Humpty Dumpster

    Fuji S9000/S9500

    Humpty Dumpster, Sep 20, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    331
  5. fuji s9000 test on dpreview!

    , Oct 31, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    437
    David J Taylor
    Nov 2, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page