    second of video is viewable in playback mode. Movie recording works fine on
    an xD card. The microdrive works fine for still pictures. This is not a
    thermal problem; it happens even when the drive is cold. Any help? Thanks.
    Michael White, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Michael White

    Ron Guest

    "Michael White" <> wrote in message
    news:vJXyc.16299$...
    > I just got a Fuji S7000 and a 340mb IBM microdrive. The camera won't

    record
    > movies on the microdrive. It takes about 1 second of video, then says
    > "Saving Image", then shuts down. When I turn the camera back on, the 1
    > second of video is viewable in playback mode. Movie recording works fine

    on
    > an xD card. The microdrive works fine for still pictures. This is not a
    > thermal problem; it happens even when the drive is cold. Any help? Thanks.

    Maybe, what you're experiencing is equivalent to buffer underrun that the
    older CD-RW drives used to experience. Perhaps the transfer rate for the
    microdrive is much slower than it is for the xD card, thereby not writing to
    disk fast enough and it chokes. Just a theory.

    Ron
    Ron, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Michael White

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Michael White" <> stated
    that:

    >I just got a Fuji S7000 and a 340mb IBM microdrive. The camera won't record
    >movies on the microdrive. It takes about 1 second of video, then says
    >"Saving Image", then shuts down. When I turn the camera back on, the 1
    >second of video is viewable in playback mode. Movie recording works fine on
    >an xD card. The microdrive works fine for still pictures. This is not a
    >thermal problem; it happens even when the drive is cold. Any help? Thanks.

    Weird. My guess would be that the Microdrive isn't fast enough to keep
    up with the video capture, so the camera is giving up.

    Lionel, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Michael White

    E. Magnuson Guest

    On 2004-06-13, Michael White <> wrote:
    > I just got a Fuji S7000 and a 340mb IBM microdrive. The camera won't record
    > movies on the microdrive. It takes about 1 second of video, then says
    > "Saving Image", then shuts down.

    It's possible that older microdrive pulls too much current.
    What does the camera manual say about microdrive compatibility?
    For optimum use of movie mode, you're going to need a fast
    CF or SD card.

    --
    Erik
    E. Magnuson, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Michael White

    Cool Hand Guest

    You should get 2.2GB microdrive. Mine takes 30 min 640x480 movie w/o problem.

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:26:03 GMT, "Michael White" <>
    wrote:

    =>I just got a Fuji S7000 and a 340mb IBM microdrive. The camera won't record
    =>movies on the microdrive. It takes about 1 second of video, then says
    =>"Saving Image", then shuts down. When I turn the camera back on, the 1
    =>second of video is viewable in playback mode. Movie recording works fine on
    =>an xD card. The microdrive works fine for still pictures. This is not a
    =>thermal problem; it happens even when the drive is cold. Any help? Thanks.

    Maybe it got hot after 1 min recording?

    =>

    Try fresh fully charged batteries.
    Cool Hand, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Michael White

    jake Guest

    In message <vJXyc.16299$>, Michael White
    <> writes
    >I just got a Fuji S7000 and a 340mb IBM microdrive. The camera won't record
    >movies on the microdrive. It takes about 1 second of video, then says
    >"Saving Image", then shuts down. When I turn the camera back on, the 1
    >second of video is viewable in playback mode. Movie recording works fine on
    >an xD card. The microdrive works fine for still pictures. This is not a
    >thermal problem; it happens even when the drive is cold. Any help? Thanks.

    This was a problem much debated some years ago when the Fuji602s
    appeared.

    It seems there are/were 2 models of the 340mb microdrive. It worked OK
    on one; wouldn't work OK on the other.

    There are problems using a 'DMDM' model IBM microdrive on the Fuji 602s,
    so I guess it's not unreasonable that the problem transfers to later
    Fuji models. Check which model you've got.

    I have a 340mb 'DMDM' and this gives problems with my 602s. The movie
    recording will stop after a couple of seconds (how many seconds varies).

    However, the 1gb microdrives have never given problems with Fuji
    digitals (I get the full 15mins on mine without any trouble).

    If you can look at the archives for the Fuji cameras over on
    http://www.dpreview.com/ you should be able to get more details.

    regards.
    --
    Jake
    jake, Jun 13, 2004
  7. Michael White

    Ron Guest

    "Cool Hand" <> wrote in message

    > You should get 2.2GB microdrive. Mine takes 30 min 640x480 movie w/o

    problem.

    Dear Lord, why don't you just get a separate camcorder if you intend on
    recording that much video. For the cost of a separate 2+ GB microdrive with
    the quality of what that gets you in the way of a video, it's much more cost
    effective to buy a separate camcorder. It's funny. I own both and each has
    the ability to do what the other was specifically designed for, albeit
    poorly. The camcorder can take stills with the included memory stick, but
    only at 1MP. The DSLR can take video, but only mono and the zoom is not
    functional. Think of the money I could have saved buying each if the mfgs
    would simply have left out the "oh, by the way" feature.

    Ron
    Ron, Jun 13, 2004
  8. Cool Hand <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > You should get 2.2GB microdrive. Mine takes 30 min 640x480 movie w/o problem.
    >
    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:26:03 GMT, "Michael White" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > =>I just got a Fuji S7000 and a 340mb IBM microdrive. The camera won't record
    > =>movies on the microdrive. It takes about 1 second of video, then says
    > =>"Saving Image", then shuts down. When I turn the camera back on, the 1
    > =>second of video is viewable in playback mode. Movie recording works fine on
    > =>an xD card. The microdrive works fine for still pictures. This is not a
    > =>thermal problem; it happens even when the drive is cold. Any help? Thanks.

    Simple, format the drive externally using larger than the default
    camera format's 4K blocks, and you'll be able to fill the drive with
    continuous full quality video.

    George Preddy, Jun 14, 2004
  9. "Ron" <> wrote in message news:<40ccc1d2$0$2985$>...

    > Dear Lord, why don't you just get a separate camcorder if you intend on
    > recording that much video. For the cost of a separate 2+ GB microdrive with
    > the quality of what that gets you in the way of a video, it's much more cost
    > effective to buy a separate camcorder. It's funny. I own both and each has
    > the ability to do what the other was specifically designed for, albeit
    > poorly. The camcorder can take stills with the included memory stick, but
    > only at 1MP. The DSLR can take video, but only mono and the zoom is not
    > functional. Think of the money I could have saved buying each if the mfgs
    > would simply have left out the "oh, by the way" feature.

    The new Foveon 5M will finally change all this. 640x480x3 @ 30fps
    with 6MP full frame still capture, even while video is recording the
    sensor can grab a full frame.
    George Preddy, Jun 14, 2004
  10. Michael White

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (George Preddy) stated
    that:

    >"Ron" <> wrote in message news:<40ccc1d2$0$2985$>...
    >
    >> Dear Lord, why don't you just get a separate camcorder if you intend on
    >> recording that much video. For the cost of a separate 2+ GB microdrive with
    >> the quality of what that gets you in the way of a video, it's much more cost
    >> effective to buy a separate camcorder. It's funny. I own both and each has
    >> the ability to do what the other was specifically designed for, albeit
    >> poorly. The camcorder can take stills with the included memory stick, but
    >> only at 1MP. The DSLR can take video, but only mono and the zoom is not
    >> functional. Think of the money I could have saved buying each if the mfgs
    >> would simply have left out the "oh, by the way" feature.

    >The new Fo[*SLAP!*]

    Please ignore this idiot. He doesn't have the faintest idea what he's
    talking about.

    Lionel, Jun 14, 2004
  11. Michael White

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (George Preddy) stated
    that:

    >Cool Hand <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> You should get 2.2GB microdrive. Mine takes 30 min 640x480 movie w/o problem.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:26:03 GMT, "Michael White" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> =>I just got a Fuji S7000 and a 340mb IBM microdrive. The camera won't record
    >> =>movies on the microdrive. It takes about 1 second of video, then says
    >> =>"Saving Image", then shuts down. When I turn the camera back on, the 1
    >> =>second of video is viewable in playback mode. Movie recording works fine on
    >> =>an xD card. The microdrive works fine for still pictures. This is not a
    >> =>thermal problem; it happens even when the drive is cold. Any help? Thanks.

    >Simple, f[*SLAP!*]

    Yes, just kill-file the Preddiot.

    Lionel, Jun 14, 2004
  12. Michael White

    Ron Guest

    > > Dear Lord, why don't you just get a separate camcorder if you intend on
    > > recording that much video. For the cost of a separate 2+ GB microdrive

    with
    > > the quality of what that gets you in the way of a video, it's much more

    cost
    > > effective to buy a separate camcorder. It's funny. I own both and each

    has
    > > the ability to do what the other was specifically designed for, albeit
    > > poorly. The camcorder can take stills with the included memory stick,

    but
    > > only at 1MP. The DSLR can take video, but only mono and the zoom is not
    > > functional. Think of the money I could have saved buying each if the

    mfgs
    > > would simply have left out the "oh, by the way" feature.

    > The new Foveon 5M will finally change all this. 640x480x3 @ 30fps
    > with 6MP full frame still capture, even while video is recording the
    > sensor can grab a full frame.

    You're missing the point GP. I'm saying that both platforms(camcorder vs.
    DSLR) should eliminate the other's function. A DSLR should not have video
    capabilities and vice versa. They should specialize in one particular
    function. This way the body of the device can house sub-functions designed
    for only one thing in mind. I don't give a crap about the Blow-meon 5M or
    anything else from Sigma for that matter. Now run along, GP and go play in
    your sandbox.

    Ron
    Ron, Jun 14, 2004
  13. Michael White

    Cool Hand Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:06:28 -0400, "Ron" <> wrote:

    =>
    =>"Cool Hand" <> wrote in message
    =>news:...
    =>>
    =>> You should get 2.2GB microdrive. Mine takes 30 min 640x480 movie w/o
    =>problem.
    =>>
    =>
    =>
    =>Dear Lord, why don't you just get a separate camcorder if you intend on

    I have both, but I carry S7000 only.
    My wife now handles Digital Camcorder exclusively.

    =>recording that much video. For the cost of a separate 2+ GB microdrive with
    =>the quality of what that gets you in the way of a video, it's much more cost
    =>effective to buy a separate camcorder. It's funny. I own both and each has
    =>the ability to do what the other was specifically designed for, albeit
    =>poorly. The camcorder can take stills with the included memory stick, but
    =>only at 1MP. The DSLR can take video, but only mono and the zoom is not
    =>functional. Think of the money I could have saved buying each if the mfgs
    =>would simply have left out the "oh, by the way" feature.
    =>
    =>Ron
    =>

    Mono is not a problem to me. I only interested in recording history, not
    making movies. I hate watching videos with zoom in/out all the time.
    I shoot short video clips with S7000 all the time. They are easy to transfer
    to PC and easy to organized with date/time file names. They are easy to
    convert to mpeg or Divx format and also are easy to recorded in blank DVD-R.
    S7000, with one flip, I can easily shoot pictures or movies. With 2.2GB and
    daily download, I never used up the 2.2GB capacity and no need to worry about
    changing tapes in the middle of important history.

    By the way, have you always wonder why "changing tape" always occurred in the
    middle of important event?

    Also;
    1. When I was downloading movies from CamCorder to PC, my wife rush in saying
    she needs to shoot something "amazing". I need to stop downloading, rewind the
    tape to the beginning of the blank or put in a new blank tape or say 'No' to
    her. If it is S7000, just stop the downloading and start shooting.

    2. Before an important meeting/sales pitch or whatever, I can hang S7000 in
    front of me and switch on 320x240 mode and have a vocal contract on video.
    People does not expect a Camera is shooting video.

    Since I have S7000, I seldom touch Camcorder anymore.
    Cool Hand, Jun 15, 2004
  14. Michael White

    Ron Guest

    "Cool Hand" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:06:28 -0400, "Ron" <> wrote:
    >
    > =>
    > =>"Cool Hand" <> wrote in message
    > =>news:...
    > =>>
    > =>> You should get 2.2GB microdrive. Mine takes 30 min 640x480 movie w/o
    > =>problem.
    > =>>
    > =>
    > =>
    > =>Dear Lord, why don't you just get a separate camcorder if you intend on
    >
    > I have both, but I carry S7000 only.
    > My wife now handles Digital Camcorder exclusively.
    >
    > =>recording that much video. For the cost of a separate 2+ GB microdrive

    with
    > =>the quality of what that gets you in the way of a video, it's much more

    cost
    > =>effective to buy a separate camcorder. It's funny. I own both and each

    has
    > =>the ability to do what the other was specifically designed for, albeit
    > =>poorly. The camcorder can take stills with the included memory stick,

    but
    > =>only at 1MP. The DSLR can take video, but only mono and the zoom is not
    > =>functional. Think of the money I could have saved buying each if the

    mfgs
    > =>would simply have left out the "oh, by the way" feature.
    > =>
    > =>Ron
    > =>
    >
    > Mono is not a problem to me. I only interested in recording history, not
    > making movies. I hate watching videos with zoom in/out all the time.

    I don't zoom in and out constantly. But it's nice to have when you want it.

    > I shoot short video clips with S7000 all the time. They are easy to

    transfer
    > to PC and easy to organized with date/time file names. They are easy to
    > convert to mpeg or Divx format and also are easy to recorded in blank

    DVD-R.
    > S7000, with one flip, I can easily shoot pictures or movies. With 2.2GB

    and
    > daily download, I never used up the 2.2GB capacity and no need to worry

    about
    > changing tapes in the middle of important history.
    >
    > By the way, have you always wonder why "changing tape" always occurred in

    the
    > middle of important event?
    >
    > Also;
    > 1. When I was downloading movies from CamCorder to PC, my wife rush in

    saying
    > she needs to shoot something "amazing". I need to stop downloading, rewind

    the
    > tape to the beginning of the blank or put in a new blank tape or say 'No'

    > her. If it is S7000, just stop the downloading and start shooting.

    Tough one. In that case, I'd just hand her the S7000. When I DL from
    camcorder to Premiere Pro, only a power outtage can stop that. Wifey has to
    wait.

    > 2. Before an important meeting/sales pitch or whatever, I can hang S7000

    in
    > front of me and switch on 320x240 mode and have a vocal contract on video.
    > People does not expect a Camera is shooting video.

    I like this idea, but doesn't the red recording light give you away? ; )

    > Since I have S7000, I seldom touch Camcorder anymore.

    I do weddings, retirements, athletic events, parties, etc. DV is much higher
    fidelity than what the S7k can produce(the movies from the S7k are saved
    already compressed unlike DV-- not good). OTOH, I need a nice camera for the
    important stills. I need both. I don't like all-in-one devices. There's
    always some trade-off with "one does all", with the possible exception of a
    Printer-Copier-Scanner. But I still use a dedicated photo printer for
    stills. But I can see your point for how you use it. In any case, the S7k
    is a great little camera. Cheers,

    Ron
    Ron, Jun 15, 2004
  15. Michael White

    Blade Runner Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:36:01 -0400, "Ron" <> wrote:

    =>
    =>"Cool Hand" <> wrote in message
    =
    =>> 2. Before an important meeting/sales pitch or whatever, I can hang S7000
    =>in
    =>> front of me and switch on 320x240 mode and have a vocal contract on video.
    =>> People does not expect a Camera is shooting video.
    =>
    =>I like this idea, but doesn't the red recording light give you away? ; )

    There is only a green light in the back under "AE-L" which is coverd by your
    body if you hang it on your neck.

    The Canon Camcoder I have has a red power light on the right rear end which is
    also hard to see. It does not show it is in recording mode or standby mode.

    My ancient VHS-C Camcorder does show red light when in shooting mode.

    =>
    =>>
    =>>
    =>> Since I have S7000, I seldom touch Camcorder anymore.
    =>>
    =>
    =>I do weddings, retirements, athletic events, parties, etc. DV is much higher
    =>fidelity than what the S7k can produce(the movies from the S7k are saved
    =>already compressed unlike DV-- not good). OTOH, I need a nice camera for the
    =>important stills. I need both. I don't like all-in-one devices. There's
    =>always some trade-off with "one does all", with the possible exception of a
    =>Printer-Copier-Scanner. But I still use a dedicated photo printer for
    =>stills. But I can see your point for how you use it. In any case, the S7k
    =>is a great little camera. Cheers,
    =>
    =>Ron
    =>

    One day a client show me something I am interested, but there isn't any copy
    machine(or shop) around and he has only one copy. No problem, use S7K and
    record all pages in my 2.2GB microdrive. It is better than copy machine. I can
    store them in PC and they are searchable.(if you name file name in key words).
    Blade Runner, Jun 19, 2004
  16. Michael White

    Frank ess Guest

    Blade Runner wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:36:01 -0400, "Ron" <> wrote:
    >
    > =>
    > =>"Cool Hand" <> wrote in message
    > =
    > =>> 2. Before an important meeting/sales pitch or whatever, I can
    > hang S7000 =>in
    > =>> front of me and switch on 320x240 mode and have a vocal contract
    > on video. =>> People does not expect a Camera is shooting video.
    > =>
    > =>I like this idea, but doesn't the red recording light give you
    > away? ; )
    >
    > There is only a green light in the back under "AE-L" which is coverd
    > by your body if you hang it on your neck.
    >
    > The Canon Camcoder I have has a red power light on the right rear end
    > which is also hard to see. It does not show it is in recording mode
    > or standby mode.
    >
    > My ancient VHS-C Camcorder does show red light when in shooting mode.

    <snip>

    I learned the red light is called a "Tally" light, named thus becaus it
    showed the "talent" (actors) the camera was recording. On each of my
    camcorders I have glued a patch of VelcroT with a hole through which the
    light can be seen. the other, opposing piece of VelcroT has never been
    removed to show the light. I have yet to see a camcorder with a
    switchable tally light.

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jun 19, 2004
  17. "Ron" <> wrote in message news:<40cd9031$0$3011$>...
    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > > The new Foveon 5M will finally change all this. 640x480x3 @ 30fps
    > > with 6MP full frame still capture, even while video is recording the
    > > sensor can grab a full frame.

    > You're missing the point GP. I'm saying that both platforms(camcorder vs.
    > DSLR) should eliminate the other's function. A DSLR should not have video
    > capabilities and vice versa. They should specialize in one particular
    > function. This way the body of the device can house sub-functions designed
    > for only one thing in mind. I don't give a crap about the Blow-meon 5M or
    > anything else from Sigma for that matter. Now run along, GP and go play in
    > your sandbox.

    I can't imagine anyone agreeing that carrying 10 machines is better
    than carrying one that is smaller and does all the functions
    better--sounds like you are rationalizing some very bad purchases.
    Georgette Preddy, Jun 20, 2004
  18. Michael White

    bagal Guest

    Yup! Like the next time I go up the mountains wild camping pride of place
    will go to a camcorder I do not have?

    Besides - I've got some great 60 seconds shots (some less) that say things
    better than a camcorder ever could. 30 fprs sounds good - very good. In a
    compact body = excellent

    Bring on the new technology - it's cool tres tres coolio

    das B

    bagal, Jun 20, 2004
  19. Michael White

    Ron Guest

    > I can't imagine anyone agreeing that carrying 10 machines is better
    > than carrying one that is smaller and does all the functions
    > better--sounds like you are rationalizing some very bad purchases.

    Nope, that would have been the case, had I bought the Smegma SD whatever.
    Ten machines? Re-read my post(ooops...sorry, I meant, have someone read it
    to you). I know "two" and "ten" both start with 't's and have three letters,
    but I guess you didn't reach that chapter in your primer where they make the
    distinction between them. My camcorder is eons beyond what any digital
    camera could cough up. Plus it also converts my analog VHS tapes into
    digital via a DV-IN pass-through function. 640X480 video/mono audio from a
    still camera?? You've got to be kidding. That's garbage. Same thing for the
    stills that my camcorder takes(ONE megapixel). So, how do you *rationalize*
    your statement of "one that is smaller and does all the functions better?"
    The answer is, "you can't." You have Input/Output mix-up. You talk out of
    your ass, and every time you open your mouth, shit spews forth. Don't bother
    responding, I won't be seeing your posts anymore.
    Ron, Jun 20, 2004