    forced flash means and is NOT what I what. What am I doing wrong, if
    anything, or is this a known defect in the S7000. It has certainly
    ruined pictures for me.
    Gilbert Baron, Oct 2, 2005

  2. Gilbert Baron

    Ed Gein Guest

    Gilbert Baron wrote:
    > I have a FUJI S7000 and when I set it for forced flash
    > and am in program P mode or Auto MODE the flash does not
    > always fire. The Flash indicator goes out if I am in a
    > brightly lit area. This is NOT what forced flash means
    > and is NOT what I what. What am I doing wrong, if
    > anything, or is this a known defect in the S7000. It has
    > certainly ruined pictures for me.

    I haven't tried in P mode yet (brand new camera), but in
    AUTO the flash has always fired in a very sunny morning.

    Bye, Ed
    Ed Gein, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Gilbert Baron

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:22:44 -0500, Gilbert Baron wrote:

    > I have a FUJI S7000 and when I set it for forced flash and am in
    > program P mode or Auto MODE the flash does not always fire. The Flash
    > indicator goes out if I am in a brightly lit area. This is NOT what
    > forced flash means and is NOT what I what. What am I doing wrong, if
    > anything, or is this a known defect in the S7000. It has certainly
    > ruined pictures for me.

    I have an S5100, the S7000's smaller brother. The manual has a
    table showing various functions (including forced flash) and which
    modes they are available in. For the S5100, forced flash works in
    Auto, Portrait, Sports, P, S, A and M modes. I'm guessing, but I'd
    assume that the S7000 FF function behaves similarly. I don't know
    exactly what the S7000's icons look like, but on the S5100, the Slow
    Synchro flash icon looks very much like the Forced Flash icon, so
    the two might be easily mistaken. I'm not saying that you were, but
    if that was the case, Slow Synchro flash only operates in Portrait,
    Night Scene, P and A modes. So in this mode, the flash would not
    operate in Auto, S or M modes. As the manual does not indicate that
    the flash always fires (as it would in Forced Flash mode), that
    might explain why if you were using P and A modes, the flash
    indicator would have gone out in brightly lit areas.
    ASAAR, Oct 3, 2005
  4. I checked and that is not the problem. My ICON has an S or an A in
    front of the lightning streak or for Forced simply the lightning
    streak.
    OTOH I cannot make it fail tonight holding the camera up to a 100 watt
    bulb where the shutter speed is picked as 1/1000 so maybe it only
    happens with a low battery or I have an intermittent problem.

    It has certainly caused me pain with some shots where I want to fill
    in. I was in NM and taking shots of Mexican Dancers at the NM State
    fair. They were on a stage that was covered so the dancers where in a
    lot of shadow. Often the flash did not fire and I got very mediocre
    results.

    I finally gave up and waited for the Cumbia/Ranchera bands to start,
    really wanted to dance more than shoot photos anyhow :)

    Gilbert Baron, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Gilbert Baron

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:54:08 -0500, Gilbert Baron wrote:

    > I checked and that is not the problem. My ICON has an S or an A in
    > front of the lightning streak or for Forced simply the lightning
    > streak.
    > OTOH I cannot make it fail tonight holding the camera up to a 100 watt
    > bulb where the shutter speed is picked as 1/1000 so maybe it only
    > happens with a low battery or I have an intermittent problem.

    A low battery wouldn't prevent the flash from working, it would
    just take longer to charge the flash. If the battery was extremely
    low (at least with my S5100), the demands on the battery when trying
    to charge the flash is enough to shut down the camera. A low
    battery will, however, take longer to charge the flash, and some
    cameras (and again, this is true for my S5100) pictures will be
    taken without the flash firing if the flash hasn't fully charged.
    The manual isn't clear if this applies to all modes or just some,
    but I've noticed it a couple of times when I took pictures without
    waiting long enough between shots.

    > It has certainly caused me pain with some shots where I want to fill
    > in. I was in NM and taking shots of Mexican Dancers at the NM State
    > fair. They were on a stage that was covered so the dancers where in a
    > lot of shadow. Often the flash did not fire and I got very mediocre
    > results.

    The EXIF data might provide clues to the problem. It might not
    show the specific flash mode used, but it would let you see if the
    flash should have had more than enough time to recharge. My
    camera's manual says nothing about recharge times, but I recall
    looking at specifications for some Nikon external flashes powered by
    their own AA batteries. For all types (alkaline, NiCad, NiMH, etc.)
    the usual quick recharge times stretched to 30 seconds before the
    batteries were considered to be depleted. You might want to do some
    tests with the S7000 to see how long it takes to recharge the
    batteries when they're fresh and also when they're nearly depleted.

    > I finally gave up and waited for the Cumbia/Ranchera bands to start,
    > really wanted to dance more than shoot photos anyhow :)

    There's none of that here in NY that I'm aware of, but then again
    there are a lot of local Mexicans so there may be some touring
    Cumbia/Ranchera bands. Come to think of it, I saw a notice posted
    in the window of a Mexican restaurant several days ago that may have
    been for a Ranchera band so I'll have to take a closer look if it's
    still there. I've got several Cumbia CDs, and they're ok, but what
    I really prefer is merengue and some of the older classic salsa.
    Viva Olga! :)
    ASAAR, Oct 4, 2005
  6. Hi,
    I agree with you but they only played a couple of Salsa tunes in the
    entire time. We have a ballroom group here and they will have some of
    that tonight.
    Merengue for exercise and Salsa for precision :)

    I assume you mean Olga Cañon? I can't argue with you on that :)

    Gilbert Baron, Oct 8, 2005
  7. Gilbert Baron

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 18:47:07 -0500, Gilbert Baron wrote:

    >>Viva Olga! :)

    > I agree with you but they only played a couple of Salsa tunes in the
    > entire time. We have a ballroom group here and they will have some of
    > that tonight.
    > Merengue for exercise and Salsa for precision :)
    >
    > I assume you mean Olga Cañon? I can't argue with you on that :)

    Yep, that's her (Olga Tañon). My quote was also a reference to
    one of her live performances, "Olga Viva, Viva Olga" (recorded at
    the House of Blues, Orlando FL). It's available on CD, but the
    award winning DVD version is exceptional. Shouldn't be missed.

    BTW, though I have a few cumbia recordings, I'm not too familiar
    with that genre, and I'm embarrassed to say I was going to ask if a
    group called "Control" might perform in a similar style. On looking
    more closely at the cover of one of their recordings, I just saw
    embedded in a tiny font within the top of the T in "Control" were
    the words "los reyes de la cumbia". :)
    ASAAR, Oct 8, 2005
  8. Yes, they would. The translation is
    "The kings of the Cumbia"
    There are really two basic ways people dance Cumbia depending on the
    tempo. If very fast they use a two step style Step Close Step and if
    slower they use a type of Salsa step with Left Right Left Tap Right
    then Right Left Right Tap Left. This is more fun and gets the Latin
    Motion of the hips.
    Cumbia actually originated in Columbia and I like the Columbian
    version better but you do not hear it too much except by bands that
    play Andes music, "The flutes and such" as many of them put in the
    more popular dance music including Cumbia, Salsa and Cha Cha.
    Actually, a LOT of the Andes Music is actually a Cha Cha (Sometimes
    called triple mambo because it is actually the same step as a mambo
    but with a triple step in the middle) beat although it has many
    variations.
    We have a good Andes band that plays in the cities and plays many
    hours at the Minnesota State Fair. They don't get on the big
    grandstand stage but that is better because they play on a stage with
    a wooden dance floor in front of them and they always get a good crowd
    of dancers, especially if you go up and get it started.

    Gilbert Baron, Oct 11, 2005