    I took it to Best Buy where I bought it from and they were able to
    access the photos, and told me to come back with my camera.

    , Nov 4, 2006

  2. ASAAR Guest

    On 4 Nov 2006 15:46:32 -0800, wrote:

    > I have a fuji s7000 that I bought a 1gb xd card for. I have had
    > nothing but problems with the card. It only works about half the time.
    > I have tried formatting tha card, and nada. When it does "work" and I
    > take a picture using my flash, the camera freezes for about 20 seconds.
    > I cannot shut off the camera or take another picture. If I use another
    > card, say a 256 xd, it works fine. Any thoughts? I have read that
    > people have successfully used the 1gb xd in the s7000 w/o problems.
    > Could it just be a bad card? It is still under manufactor's warranty.
    > I took it to Best Buy where I bought it from and they were able to
    > access the photos, and told me to come back with my camera.

    I highly doubt that the problem you're having with the card is
    related to using the flash unless the camera's batteries are weak,
    and the recharging of the flash pulls the battery voltage so low
    that it causes occasional errors. But if this is the cause of the
    problem, it should also cause problems when your 256MB xD card is
    used. If you're using NiMH batteries that have been used for a
    while, they may need to be replaced. You could try using a set of
    fresh alkaline AA cells. They may not provide a lot of shots before
    they die, but if your NiMH batteries were causing the problem, the
    alkalines should work fine (not "about half the time") until they
    need to be replaced. If the alkalines work better, you probably
    only need to replace the NiMH batteries with a new set. If the new
    set of NiMH batteries also cause problems, then you might want to
    check out your battery charger.

    Also, is your 1GB xD card type M or type H? The newer type H
    cards were introduced at least a couple of years after the S7000, so
    it may not be compatible with them. The card should have a
    moderately large "M" or "H" printed on it somewhere. It will also
    appear on the card's packaging if you still have it.

    ASAAR, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Guest

    > I highly doubt that the problem you're having with the card is
    > related to using the flash unless the camera's batteries are weak,
    > and the recharging of the flash pulls the battery voltage so low
    > that it causes occasional errors. But if this is the cause of the
    > problem, it should also cause problems when your 256MB xD card is
    > used. If you're using NiMH batteries that have been used for a
    > while, they may need to be replaced. You could try using a set of
    > fresh alkaline AA cells. They may not provide a lot of shots before
    > they die, but if your NiMH batteries were causing the problem, the
    > alkalines should work fine (not "about half the time") until they
    > need to be replaced. If the alkalines work better, you probably
    > only need to replace the NiMH batteries with a new set. If the new
    > set of NiMH batteries also cause problems, then you might want to
    > check out your battery charger.
    >
    > Also, is your 1GB xD card type M or type H? The newer type H
    > cards were introduced at least a couple of years after the S7000, so
    > it may not be compatible with them. The card should have a
    > moderately large "M" or "H" printed on it somewhere. It will also
    > appear on the card's packaging if you still have it.

    I tested the camera not using the flash, and the problem still occurs.
    I have three cards, a 16mb, a 256mb, and a 1bg. When I use the first
    two, everything is great. When I use the 1gb and try to shut the
    camera off, it freezes for 20 to 30 seconds before it will shut down.
    When I use the first two, the camera shuts down immediately.

    , Nov 5, 2006
  4. ASAAR Guest

    On 4 Nov 2006 18:22:29 -0800, wrote:

    >> Also, is your 1GB xD card type M or type H? The newer type H
    >> cards were introduced at least a couple of years after the S7000, so
    >> it may not be compatible with them. The card should have a
    >> moderately large "M" or "H" printed on it somewhere. It will also
    >> appear on the card's packaging if you still have it.

    > I tested the camera not using the flash, and the problem still occurs.
    > I have three cards, a 16mb, a 256mb, and a 1bg. When I use the first
    > two, everything is great. When I use the 1gb and try to shut the
    > camera off, it freezes for 20 to 30 seconds before it will shut down.
    > When I use the first two, the camera shuts down immediately.

    Your original message says "If I use another card, say a 256 xd,
    it works fine" so am I right in assuming that this is a typo, that
    when you use the first two (16mb and 256mb) the camera works fine?
    I don't know if when you're talking about the camera shutting down
    you mean that you want to be able to shut it down (turn the power
    off) or that it is shutting down when you don't want it to. In any
    case, what type of 1GB card do you have? That might be the cause of
    your problem. Is it an M or an H type card? If you don't know,
    just remove the card and see what's written on it.

    BTW, you said that you formatted the 1GB card. Sometimes problems
    arise if you format the card using the computer. Any card that's
    used in a camera should be formatted in the camera.

    Some other things to check: What brand is the xD card? Most are
    made by Fuji or Olympus. I recently bought a PNY card, and it was
    in fact made by Olympus. Where was it bought? From a reputable
    store, from eBay or from an internet seller? Cards bought from eBay
    or less than reputable internet sellers can often turn out to be low
    quality or defective counterfeit cards.

    ASAAR, Nov 5, 2006
  5. Guest

    > That might be the cause of
    > your problem. Is it an M or an H type card? If you don't know,
    > just remove the card and see what's written on it.
    >
    > BTW, you said that you formatted the 1GB card. Sometimes problems
    > arise if you format the card using the computer. Any card that's
    > used in a camera should be formatted in the camera.
    >
    > Some other things to check: What brand is the xD card? Most are
    > made by Fuji or Olympus. I recently bought a PNY card, and it was
    > in fact made by Olympus. Where was it bought? From a reputable
    > store, from eBay or from an internet seller? Cards bought from eBay
    > or less than reputable internet sellers can often turn out to be low
    > quality or defective counterfeit cards.

    The card is a Fuji type M. Which according to the Fuji website should
    work fine with my camera. I did format the card in the computer after
    it failed on several occasions. I cannot figure out how to format the
    card in the camera. I bought the card from Bestbuy. I took it back ,
    and they said they could not find anything wrong with it, and that I
    needed to bring my camera in with it.

    , Nov 5, 2006
  6. ASAAR Guest

    On 5 Nov 2006 07:23:57 -0800, wrote:

    > The card is a Fuji type M. Which according to the Fuji website should
    > work fine with my camera. I did format the card in the computer after
    > it failed on several occasions. I cannot figure out how to format the
    > card in the camera. I bought the card from Bestbuy. I took it back ,
    > and they said they could not find anything wrong with it, and that I
    > needed to bring my camera in with it.

    If the S7000 is like several other Fuji cameras I've seen, press
    the regular Menu button (not the F button) and scroll until you find
    some kind of a Set option. From there you should be able to find
    the (mostly) non-photographic options, such as setting Date/Time,
    USB options, enabling RAW files, enabling the AF illuminator,
    choosing NTSC vs PAL video output, display language, zoom restore,
    etc. Somewhere in there should be the Format option. On my S5100
    there are 4 pages of options, and Format is on the first page.

    I just checked Fuji's xD card compatibility chart (before noticing
    that you also checked their website) and the S7000 is compatible
    with all listed xD cards up to 1GB. The chart hasn't yet been
    updated to include 2GB cards. The three types of xD cards are
    included are standard (16MB to 512MB, no letter), type M (256MB to
    1GB) and type H (512MB and 1GB). The only limitation noted is this:

    > *9:The xD-Picture Cards Type M is not recommended for movie recording.

    Also according to Fuji's website, there are no firmware upgrades
    offered for the S7000. Best Buy's suggestion to bring the camera
    with the card is a good one. They can probably try a different xD
    card in it. If it appears that the camera is defective and won't
    operate properly with any 1GB cards, see if B.B. can also let you
    test it with a CF card. In tests done back in January 2004,
    Dpreview found that the S7000 performed noticeably faster using a
    128MB xD card than using CF cards, but reported no problems with
    either a 512MB Lexar Pro 24x or a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II. If it works
    properly with a 1GB CF card, they're cheap these days and would be a
    much better investment than trying to get the S7000 repaired if it
    isn't covered by an extended warranty.

    ASAAR, Nov 5, 2006