    the spec.

    Thanks.

    Neil
    Greenbrightly, Aug 3, 2007

  2. Greenbrightly

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 03:58:35 -0700, Greenbrightly wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone could share some opinions on this camera?
    > I'm considering buying one as I quite like the look and feel and also
    > the spec.

    The S6000fd/S6500fb is a very nice, reasonably priced camera. I
    haven't used one but I'm pretty sure that it's quite a bit better
    than my similar, smaller, older, 4mp Fuji S5100/S5600 which has been
    a very good performer. DPReview said :

    > It's only when you look at these 'real world' crops that the real
    > advantage of the Super CCD sensor used in the S6000fd is obvious.
    > With all small CCD compacts we see serious smearing of low
    > contrast detail at ISO 200 (sometimes even lower), but the S6000fd
    > manages to keep plenty of texture at ISO 400, and even ISO 800 and
    > 1600 haven't smeared it all away (in fact the noise reduction at 800
    > and 1600 appears to be very similar; you just get more noise at 1600).
    > ISO 3200 is, to put it politely, rather light on detail, and you're
    > certainly not getting the claimed 'full resolution' ISO 3200 output.
    > Still, it's better than anything else on the market...

    > Although the S6000fd's output has a little of the classic 'Super CCD'
    > artefacts look to it and is a touch over-sharpened, there's no denying
    > that it is outperforming the Sony [the DSC-H2] - which is fairly
    > representative of the other 6MP super zooms on the market - by a
    > considerable margin. Edge-to-edge detail is excellent, colors bright
    > but natural and contrast excellent. It's interesting to note that the
    > S6000fd actually produces output that actually looks better at 100%
    > (as here) than the S9000 we tested last year (which has the same lens).
    > Comparing the results would seem to suggest that the lens itself is the
    > limiting factor; it works brilliantly with this 6MP sensor, whereas the
    > S9000's 9MP sensor is simply asking too much of it.

    > More of the same really; the S6500fd's output is starting to show signs of
    > breaking down, but compared to the H2 it looks clean, clear and detailed.
    > Just like the F30, the S6500fd's output at ISO 800 is considerably better
    > than most of its competitors manage at ISO 400 - and some at ISO 200.
    > To have a small-sensor camera capable of producing results that are
    > perfectly usable at ISO 800 is a luxury we have rarely seen before, and
    > something for which Fuji must be congratulated.

    > Comparison cameras:
    >
    > * Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd / S6500fd (6 MP, 10.7x zoom)
    > * Sony DSC-H2 (6 MP, 12x zoom)
    > * Canon PowerShot S3 IS (6 MP, 12x zoom)
    > * Panasonic DMC-FZ7 (6 MP, 12 x zoom)
    >
    > Shots here are of our standard resolution chart (version one or two).
    > This chart allows us to measure the actual performance of the lens
    > and sensor system. It measures the ability of the camera to resolve
    > lines at gradually higher resolutions and enables us to provide a
    > definitive value for comparison purposes.

    here, the S6500 clearly produced more detail than the other
    cameras tested, and DPReview added :

    > Although the JPEGs are a bit over-sharpened, and they don't quite
    > match the F30, the S6500fd sets a new standard for resolution in a
    > 6MP 'super zoom' camera, and out-performs cameras with one or
    > even two million more pixels. There's little, if any moiré and only the
    > merest hint of jagginess on 45 degree diagonals, and overall you can't
    > fail to be impressed with a camera that really does squeeze the
    > maximum detail out of 6 million pixels, across the frame.

    and from the Conclusion page :
    > * Excellent resolution & sharpness
    > * Very good results up to ISO 400, ISO 800 perfectly usable
    > * Class-leading high ISO performance; might not be fantastic,
    > but it's the best you'll get
    > * Very low shutter lag
    > * Comprehensive photographic controls
    > * Excellent battery life
    > * Highly versatile 28-300mm zoom range
    > * Low distortion lens with excellent edge-to-edge performance
    > * Good flash performance
    > * Decent movie mode, can zoom whilst filming
    > * CCD-raw mode and decent raw conversion utility
    > * Fairly fast focus (especially towards the wide end of the zoom range)
    > * AF illuminator
    > * Fast, effective face detection system (bit of a novelty for the serious user)
    > * Large clear screen
    > * Threaded lens for optional wide / tele convertors
    > * Good value for money

    > I must admit I didn't really know what to expect from the S6000fd
    > (having used some of its predecessors), and I was pleasantly surprised
    > to find it was a well designed, well executed and surprisingly versatile
    > photographic tool. It's probably not the best 'point and shoot' model
    > in its class (you'll get better results if you know what you're doing),
    > but the combination of features, output and unusually able high ISO
    > performance means that - whilst far from perfect - it can easily hold
    > its own against some of it's more 'high profile' competitors.

    The full review starts at :

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms6000fd/
    ASAAR, Aug 4, 2007

  3. Greenbrightly

    AAvK Guest

    "Greenbrightly" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone could share some opinions on this camera?
    > I'm considering buying one as I quite like the look and feel and also
    > the spec.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Neil

    I did my research on the review sites and bought one, mine is the same as the
    s6500 but it is the s6000fd US version. I am definitely happy I did! It is really
    quite a camera for the money. At the time, there was a $50 rebate, took advantage
    no problem.

    It is a very solid performer, color, sharpness and detail are incredible, at least in
    comparison to my first, the Nikon e950 of '99. It is not an action camera in raw
    mode (6-9 seconds between shots), but it can be in high jpeg mode. It operates
    super cleanly and solidly, they did a great job writing it's OS, which is easy to
    follow (very), but it needs a few innovative features, which would be possible.

    It can be very well used as an artistic camera and a family one, though it is the
    size and weight of a small D-SLR (my hands are BIG!). The 28mm wide is very
    nice but the 300mm is not really enough, and it's up coming replacement (s8000fd)
    will have a longer lens (under 500mm) but a smaller CCD. It is always: the size
    of the taking element, whether film or chip, decides not only the numbers of focal
    length, but as well the size of the whole lens. With CCD sizes and film frame sizes...

    the_larger_the_better.

    But, price for quality is a high value with this camera. Just two months ago the count
    of images on www.pbase.com by the s6000fd was just over 3,000 - now it is up over
    5,000! You take a look there.

    There are some things any thinking photog would want with this maching, but for the
    money... it's quite good. Also consider the s9500.

    --
    }<)))*> Giant_Alex
    cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
    AAvK, Aug 4, 2007