Fuji S602Z viewfinder strangeness

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Johnson, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. Bill Johnson

    Bill Johnson Guest

    At the risk of appearing loony, I have to ask:

    When I first got the S602Z I've been using for a couple of years now,
    the electronic viewfinder (not the lcd screen) showed objects that naturally
    occurred in low
    light (e.g. anything outside at dusk) as if they were being viewed thru an
    infrared detector, somewhat like looking at the negative of the image, but
    definitely more 'lit-up' than the real thing in front of me. This surprised
    me, but I had never used a non-optical viewfinder before, and the pictures
    came out as I might have expected them to, so I didn't think twice about it.

    At some point, the camera stopped presenting low-light objects this way,
    however the quality of the photos has stayed the same, I think. (though I've
    come to be somewhat disappointed by the low-light capacity of this camera.)

    So I am wondering: what's going on with my viewfinder? Has it stopped
    doing something it should be doing? Was it at first doing something
    aberrational?

    Does this ring bells with anyone?

    Bill J.

    Bill Johnson, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Bill Johnson

    Bill Guest

    It sounds like it was doing something strange at first. My S602 viewfinder
    always showed a reasonably accurate image of the subject.
    May I ask what it is about low light that is a problem for you? How low is
    "low" for example?

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Bill Johnson

    Canopus Guest

    "Bill Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > At the risk of appearing loony, I have to ask:
    >
    > When I first got the S602Z I've been using for a couple of years now,
    > the electronic viewfinder (not the lcd screen) showed objects that

    naturally
    > occurred in low
    > light (e.g. anything outside at dusk) as if they were being viewed thru an
    > infrared detector, somewhat like looking at the negative of the image, but
    > definitely more 'lit-up' than the real thing in front of me. This

    surprised
    > me, but I had never used a non-optical viewfinder before, and the pictures
    > came out as I might have expected them to, so I didn't think twice about

    it.

    > At some point, the camera stopped presenting low-light objects this way,
    > however the quality of the photos has stayed the same, I think. (though

    I've
    > come to be somewhat disappointed by the low-light capacity of this

    camera.)

    > So I am wondering: what's going on with my viewfinder? Has it stopped
    > doing something it should be doing? Was it at first doing something
    > aberrational?
    >
    > Does this ring bells with anyone?
    >
    > Bill J.

    Hi Bill,

    I just checked my Fuji S602Z as it is dark at the moment. I pointed it out
    of an open window and it is how it has always been, the viewfinder is lousy
    in low light. It picks up street lights OK even in the far distance and
    what is illuminated by them, but, what is illuminated is not that great. It
    has been like this from the first time I got it. Night shots, on the other
    hand, are excelent. As this is winter here and the only time I have to
    shoot tends to be early evening or night I've been tending to do a lot of
    night shots and am very pleased with the results. Some night shots in the
    countryside require a bit of guessing I suppose, but, using post shot
    preview you can see clearly if you've pointed it in the right direction and
    the beauty of digital is that you can take a few and never waste film

    As I said, it has always been like this so I suspect that this is
    psychological. When you first used it instead of an ordinary camera you may
    have been surprised at the slightly better capture of light, but, over time
    you have got used to it and your memory of your first use of it has tended
    to paint a rosier picture much like one's memory of youth. The other
    alternative is that you bought a very quirky Fuji unlike anyone else's.

    Rob

    Canopus, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Bill Johnson

    Malcolm Guest

    Rob

    I've got a S602Z also but haven't had much joy of night shots. I know this
    is not the topic you're discussing but would appreciate a little help.

    I live in 'the sticks' and have very little natural light around - what can
    you take photo's of at night? This might sound stupid, but I am intrigued
    and would love to add this angle to my photography. Also, some camera
    settings tohelp me achieve would be appreciated.

    Cheers

    Malc

    Malcolm, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Bill Johnson

    Canopus Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > Rob
    >
    > I've got a S602Z also but haven't had much joy of night shots. I know

    this
    > is not the topic you're discussing but would appreciate a little help.
    >
    > I live in 'the sticks' and have very little natural light around - what

    can
    > you take photo's of at night? This might sound stupid, but I am intrigued
    > and would love to add this angle to my photography. Also, some camera
    > settings tohelp me achieve would be appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Malc

    Hi Malc,

    First let me point out that I am by no means an expert photographer with
    lots of experience. Up until getting my first digital, the Fuji S602Z, I
    was using a point and shoot Fuji. The technique for night photos is simple,
    don't use automatic, use manual settings and experiment. Even the Scenic
    Night Setting does not necessarily give the best results as it seems to
    sometimes get confused. A tripod is essential; don't necessarily use low f
    numbers, but, adjust your exposure time upwards instead; use ISO 200 to 400;
    experiment, experiment, experiment...it costs you nothing. Finally,
    cheat...it's amazing what a good photo editor will do to even pictures that
    seem far too dark, even the one button fix. Mind you, some of my night
    shots do turn out dark, but, boy what atmosphere is captured in them. Just
    because a night shot is not crystal clear doesn't mean it is no good.

    I recently came across a camera club that I may visit, they reckon that
    about half the year they just meet in the club house and during summer they
    often meet out doors for shoots as the evenings are brighter. They don't
    know what they are missing not wondering around in the countryside at dusk
    and early night. Full moon nights like tonight can give excelent atmosphere

    Good luck and enjoy and experiment.

    Rob

    Canopus, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Bill Johnson

    Bill Guest

    Also, when you increase the ISO, especially to 800 or 1600, the viewfinder
    get brighter as well. There can be a lot of noise, however.

    Bill, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Bill Johnson

    pjp Guest

    Is it possible you simply turned the brightness down? It is controllable
    according to the manual.

    pjp, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Bill Johnson

    Bill Johnson Guest

    Bill,
    My low light problem has been one of learning to capture clearly a
    variety of village winter activities, inside and outside, under low light
    conditions (I live in rural Alaska). We're talking kids and adults busy in
    a log building lit, around the periphery, with low incandescent light.

    Flash would be an unacceptable intrusion on the candid spirit that can
    make these photos so valuable. I know the S602Z functions well with flash.

    I have accepted the good advise found here and elsewhere round the net,
    and am finally managing to get some decent low-light activity photos by (in
    the 'P' mode) upping the ISO to 400 or 800 (at 1600 the camera automatically
    bumps the quality down to 1 mill. mg, and that loss of clarity negates any
    gain in speed of capture, for me), putting on some negative exposure
    compensation (1.5, usually) to take the exagerrated brightness out of the
    high ISO, and, finally, making sure I have the white balance setting right
    for the situation (incandescent, say). This last adjustment makes a
    surprizing amount of difference, critical sometimes.

    I have also found it very useful to have photometry set to 'spot' which
    gives me more fluid control over the resultant brightness of the photo.

    I think all of the above has me working with the best this camera is
    capable of. An SLR with a fast lens is probably in my not-too-distant
    future.

    Bill J.

    Bill Johnson, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Bill Johnson

    Bill Johnson Guest

    Well I suspected when I started this thread that it would end with some
    embarrassment, and it has.

    I think you have discovered the cause of my 'anomoly', Bill. When I first
    got the camera, I was completely ignorant of ISO, and many other aspects of
    photography. The camera was probably set at a high ISO, which I now see
    shows up in the digital viewfinder as well.

    Bill Johnson, Dec 8, 2003