    was left in it. Batteries were fresh (and still going strong now!). Any
    ideas? Can you force a S602Z to reset with some accidental dodgy key
    combination?

    Angel, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Angel

    Bill Guest

    Wow.........sounds strange. I have the same camera. Never had that happen.
    Buf if you find out what caused it, let me know!
    Bill

    "Angel" <> wrote in message
    > My daugthers XMas play - 30 odd photo's in the camera, pretty pleased with
    > my self. On the way home took a photo of sheep in a field (sad I know),

    but
    > when I went to turn on camera it was asking for the time and date to be

    set.

    Bill, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Angel

    pjp Guest

    Only obvious thing would be it somehow lost power for too long, e.g.
    batteries removed or simply a poor connection on any one end might do it?

    pjp, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Angel

    Angel Guest

    It was no more than 20 minutes between taking the last photo and having to
    reset the time. The batteries weren't removed. I have two cards in there -
    the 128Mb smartmedia and a 256 CompactFlash.

    Changing subject completely, which is best? Smart media, those wafer thin
    type jobs or the chunky COmpactFlash or are they all pretty much the same.
    I am VERY new to this digital game so apologies for the nobby questions.

    It's forums like this where your knowledge can double in a very few visits -
    all help is much appreciated.

    Angel, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Angel

    pjp Guest

    But even that wouldn't explain the loss of images on the card.

    pjp, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Angel

    JC Dill Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:47:43 -0000, "Angel" <>
    wrote:

    >My daugthers XMas play - 30 odd photo's in the camera, pretty pleased with
    >my self. On the way home took a photo of sheep in a field (sad I know), but
    >when I went to turn on camera it was asking for the time and date to be set.
    >It had completely reset itself, wiped the cards clean - not a single photo
    >was left in it.

    Sounds like a good time to try one of those data recovery programs.
    With any luck, the reset and sheep picture only overwrote 1 or 2 of
    the photos from the play, and the rest are recoverable.

    Good Luck!

    jc

    JC Dill, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Angel

    Bill Guest

    Perhaps it was subjected to static in some way. Where did you have the
    camera? Did you notice a static charge when you went to grab it?

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Angel

    Angel Guest

    It was in a large 'inside pocket', yes, possibly subject to static. I'm
    looking into the data recovery aspect now suggested in an earlier thread.

    Thanks all for your interest.

    Angel, Dec 12, 2003
  9. Angel

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >My daugthers XMas play - 30 odd photo's in the camera, pretty pleased with
    > >my self. On the way home took a photo of sheep in a field (sad I know), but
    > >when I went to turn on camera it was asking for the time and date to be set.
    > >It had completely reset itself, wiped the cards clean - not a single photo
    > >was left in it.

    I had a friend who had a similar incident with an
    Olympus camera.

    The card appeared wiped out and the camera re-set itself
    to defaults.

    His wife had removed the memory without waiting for the
    camera to cycle off.

    Both the camera and the computer showed no pictures on
    the disk

    60 of the 74 pictures on the card were salvaged by a
    program called DIR (digital image recovery). This
    program is no longer available for free from the people
    that wrote it, but a newer version is available in a
    trial version, and costs (If I recall) about $30 (US).
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery

    Larry Lynch, Dec 12, 2003
  10. Angel

    Guest Guest

    I used to get this occasionally with my S602, but only ever when there were
    two cards in. You will probably find that the pictures are still there, but
    the camera has switched to using the SM card instead of the CF card. I would
    recommend you just keep the CF card in the camera.

    Guest, Dec 12, 2003
  11. Angel

    Canopus Guest

    "<Enter Your Full Name>" <> wrote in message
    > I used to get this occasionally with my S602, but only ever when there

    were
    > two cards in. You will probably find that the pictures are still there,

    but
    > the camera has switched to using the SM card instead of the CF card. I

    would
    > recommend you just keep the CF card in the camera.

    If this is the case then you should contact Fuji as there must be a fault in
    the camera. It should not switch between cards on its own volition, you
    have to do it manually even when one card is full.

    Rob

    Canopus, Dec 12, 2003
  12. Angel

    Guest Guest

    You are probably right, but it is such a minor issue, I decided to ignore
    it. I don't use the 602 anymore anyway so its not an issue ever.

    Guest, Dec 12, 2003
  13. Angel

    Paul Guest

    Canopus wrote:

    > "<Enter Your Full Name>" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I used to get this occasionally with my S602, but only ever when there

    > were
    >
    >>two cards in. You will probably find that the pictures are still there,

    > but
    >
    >>the camera has switched to using the SM card instead of the CF card. I

    > would
    >
    >>recommend you just keep the CF card in the camera.
    >>

    > If this is the case then you should contact Fuji as there must be a fault in
    > the camera. It should not switch between cards on its own volition, you
    > have to do it manually even when one card is full.
    >
    > Rob

    Not exactly. If the camera has reset, then the default is Smartmedia.

    Paul, Dec 12, 2003
  14. Angel

    Canopus Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Canopus wrote:
    >
    > > "<Enter Your Full Name>" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I used to get this occasionally with my S602, but only ever when there

    > > were
    > >
    > >>two cards in. You will probably find that the pictures are still there,

    > > but
    > >
    > >>the camera has switched to using the SM card instead of the CF card. I

    > > would
    > >
    > >>recommend you just keep the CF card in the camera.
    > >>

    > > If this is the case then you should contact Fuji as there must be a

    fault in
    > > the camera. It should not switch between cards on its own volition, you
    > > have to do it manually even when one card is full.
    > >
    > > Rob
    > >

    > Not exactly. If the camera has reset, then the default is Smartmedia.

    If you press the reset then it is not doing it under its own volition, you
    are doing it by resetting it.

    Rob

    Canopus, Dec 12, 2003
  15. Angel

    Angel Guest

    Who ever you are - thanks. I can't believe I didn't check that - How
    stupid to I feel!!!! All 30 odd pictures of my daughter (and 1 sheep
    image!!) were there in all their glory - superb.

    Many thanks to all.

    Malc

    Angel, Dec 12, 2003
  16. Angel

    A Little Bit Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:02:33 -0000, "Canopus" <>
    wrote:

    > > I used to get this occasionally with my S602, but only ever when there

    > were
    > > two cards in. You will probably find that the pictures are still there,

    > but
    > > the camera has switched to using the SM card instead of the CF card. I

    > would
    > > recommend you just keep the CF card in the camera.
    > >

    > If this is the case then you should contact Fuji as there must be a fault in
    > the camera. It should not switch between cards on its own volition, you
    > have to do it manually even when one card is full.

    It should default to Smartmedia if the CF card is removed.

    A Little Bit, Dec 13, 2003
  17. "Angel" <> wrote in message news:<lJpCb.194$>...
    > Who ever you are - thanks. I can't believe I didn't check that - How
    > stupid to I feel!!!! All 30 odd pictures of my daughter (and 1 sheep
    > image!!) were there in all their glory - superb.
    >
    > Many thanks to all.

    Angel, sorry but I seem to have missed the thread. What did you
    actually do? Did you remove the CF card thinking that the images were
    there when in fact they were on the SmartMedia Card?

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Dec 13, 2003
  18. Angel

    Angel Guest

    Chris

    To be honest I haven't a clue anymore. I have two cards, the wafer thin
    Smart Media (16Mb) which came with the camera and the chunkier CF (128Mb)
    card. I had the CF set as default, and have had for months. I took those
    pictures, went to take another (those bl**dy sheep caused all this!) and the
    camera was asking for time and date, all my settings had gone, ie the sound
    was back on and aparently no images. I thought I had checked everything and
    resigned my self to have lost the lot. I then took a photo of a train (I
    can see you lot pulling the plug on me here, trains, sheep....) and had it
    set to 6Mb High quality. It took the photo and said 'Card Full'. Got
    home, inserted the USB cable and the train image wasn't there but all the
    others were there. The train was on the SmartMedia, my lost images on the
    CF card. I have no idea how all this happened, so really I think I have
    just wasted everybodies time.....but... the only question outstanding is why
    did the camera lose the settings? The batteries were good, hadn't been
    removed (and if you do swap batteres, the camera rememberes the settings).

    Since then, Ihave removed the 16Mb smart media to prevent me looking any
    more stupid than I already do!!

    Hope this helps you - it doesn't me!!

    Malc

    Angel, Dec 14, 2003
  19. Angel

    Canopus Guest

    "Angel" <> wrote in message
    > Chris
    >
    > To be honest I haven't a clue anymore. I have two cards, the wafer thin
    > Smart Media (16Mb) which came with the camera and the chunkier CF (128Mb)
    > card. I had the CF set as default, and have had for months. I took those
    > pictures, went to take another (those bl**dy sheep caused all this!) and

    the
    > camera was asking for time and date, all my settings had gone, ie the

    sound
    > was back on and aparently no images. I thought I had checked everything

    and
    > resigned my self to have lost the lot. I then took a photo of a train (I
    > can see you lot pulling the plug on me here, trains, sheep....) and had it
    > set to 6Mb High quality. It took the photo and said 'Card Full'. Got
    > home, inserted the USB cable and the train image wasn't there but all the
    > others were there. The train was on the SmartMedia, my lost images on the
    > CF card. I have no idea how all this happened, so really I think I have
    > just wasted everybodies time.....but... the only question outstanding is

    why
    > did the camera lose the settings? The batteries were good, hadn't been
    > removed (and if you do swap batteres, the camera rememberes the settings).
    >
    > Since then, Ihave removed the 16Mb smart media to prevent me looking any
    > more stupid than I already do!!
    >
    > Hope this helps you - it doesn't me!!
    >
    > Malc

    It certainly sounds as if you have reset the camera, however, I would have
    thought it was difficult to do accidentally as the Reset option is the last
    one on the menu. If it ever happens again I would contact Fuji and ask them
    if they have had any other reports of this happening.

    Rob

    Canopus, Dec 14, 2003