    Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is a fuse inside?

    I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not working. He muttered something about
    inserting a CF card not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.
    Old Bugger, Jul 25, 2005

  2. Old Bugger

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:09:22 GMT, Old Bugger wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is
    > a fuse inside?

    No fuses. Is the camera totally dead or is it malfunctioning? If
    it has a removeable battery, remove it for several hours, maybe even
    a day.

    > I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
    > working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not being easy,
    > so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

    Did you not check the CF card? Is it still in the camera as
    (mis)inserted by your so-called friend? If you remove the card and
    try to turn on the camera, do you get a "card error" display or is
    it totally dead. What kind of batteries does the Fuji 602 use? Do
    you know what condition they're in?

    It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
    camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
    they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
    they returned it?
    ASAAR, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Old Bugger

    pjp Guest

    And presumably as it had a card already in it, why the **** was he messing
    with it in the first place.

    pjp, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Old Bugger

    Old Bugger Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:13:06 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is
    >> a fuse inside?

    > No fuses. Is the camera totally dead or is it malfunctioning? If
    >it has a removeable battery, remove it for several hours, maybe even
    >a day.

    It is totally dead. I've had the batteries out of it overnight and it is still dead.

    >> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
    >> working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not being easy,
    >> so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

    > Did you not check the CF card? Is it still in the camera as
    >(mis)inserted by your so-called friend? If you remove the card and
    >try to turn on the camera, do you get a "card error" display or is
    >it totally dead. What kind of batteries does the Fuji 602 use? Do
    >you know what condition they're in?

    I've removed both of the memory cards (the 602 takes SM and CF/microdrive). It is still dead. The 602 uses
    AA's. I've tried a couple of fully charged sets.

    > It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
    >camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
    >they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
    >they returned it?

    He won't be my friend for much longer if he doesn't cough up for either the repair or new camera.
    Old Bugger, Jul 25, 2005
  5. Old Bugger

    Old Bugger Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:35:19 GMT, "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:

    >And presumably as it had a card already in it, why the **** was he messing
    >with it in the first place.

    I think he removed the card to transfer images to his computer.
    Old Bugger, Jul 25, 2005
  6. Old Bugger

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:35:19 GMT, pjp squeaked:

    > And presumably as it had a card already in it, why the **** was he
    > messing with it in the first place.

    That might be worth following up, but it may simply be that the
    friend took the card out to place it in a card reader. While it
    doesn't look very good from the information provided so far, the
    camera's problems may have nothing to do with the CF card.
    ASAAR, Jul 25, 2005
  7. Old Bugger

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:09:13 GMT, Old Bugger wrote:

    > I've removed both of the memory cards (the 602 takes SM and
    > CF/microdrive). It is still dead. The 602 uses
    > AA's. I've tried a couple of fully charged sets.

    Doesn't sound good. Take a flashlight and peer down into the CF
    socket. You should be able to see all of the pins and whether they
    are all straight or if any are bent, or if any odd object was mashed
    into them.

    >> It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
    >>camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
    >>they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
    >>they returned it?

    > He won't be my friend for much longer if he doesn't cough up for either
    > the repair or new camera.

    Repairs are usually not cost justified and as I've found out,
    cameras depreciate rapidly. My old Canon PowerShot is probably
    worth 20% of its initial price. But the s602z wasn't a cheap P&S.
    If your friend is willing to pay what the cost of repair comes to, I
    think you'd be better off applying it to either the Fuji S7000
    (which may be the most similar camera currently available) or to
    some other camera.
    ASAAR, Jul 25, 2005
  8. "ASAAR" <

    You have two slots that can be used then put a micro drive into that slot
    and see if it works.
    however having had a 609 and 7000 both would come on and say no card if it
    could not find one.602 would be the same.

    Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance
    Philip Davies, Jul 25, 2005
  9. Old Bugger

    Mike Guest

    "Philip Davies" <> wrote in message

    > "ASAAR" <
    >
    > You have two slots that can be used then put a micro drive into that slot
    > and see if it works.
    > however having had a 609 and 7000 both would come on and say no card if it
    > could not find one.602 would be the same.
    >
    > Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance

    Oh I like that idea - help all the other dishonest maggots push up the cost
    of insurance premiums for the rest of us. Good one. Sure, I'll help pay for
    the camera buddy.
    Mike, Jul 25, 2005
  10. Old Bugger

    pjp Guest

    > "ASAAR" <
    >
    > You have two slots that can be used then put a micro drive into that slot
    > and see if it works.
    > however having had a 609 and 7000 both would come on and say no card if it
    > could not find one.602 would be the same.
    >
    > Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance

    I suspect problem stemmed from something like that rather than "friends"
    excuse about inserting a card, e.g. forgot to mention he dropped it in lake
    as he was inserting card :(
    pjp, Jul 25, 2005
  11. "Old Bugger" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is a
    > fuse inside?
    >
    > I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
    > working. He muttered something about
    > inserting a CF card not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one
    > in back to front or not straight.

    Try the smart media slot? Look into the CF slot for bent pins.
    Dave R knows who, Jul 25, 2005
  12. Old Bugger

    BeeCee Guest

    >>> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
    >>> working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not being
    >>> easy,
    >>> so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

    Not that it's going to help your situation but I had a similar problem with
    my 602 just after it went off warranty. Kept getting a message that the CF
    card was not initialized.

    The problem was finally tracked to a bent pin in the CF slot. I think that
    I probably did bend the pin as I have always found the card not easy to get
    in the slot - especially compared to my Verbatim card reader which accepts
    the card as though it were greased.

    The upshot was that the slot/pin itself could not be repaired and it cost me
    $300 to replace the board. Lesson learned - I am now very careful inserting
    the card. I'm still pissed tho' - I can't see why it should be possible to
    bend the pin - I think it would not be possible on the card reader, the fit
    is so positive. And the reader cost me all of $20.

    BeeCee
    BeeCee, Jul 26, 2005
  13. Old Bugger

    pjp Guest

    Part of why I just simply keep both a cf (512 meg) and a sm (128 meg) card
    in their slots and use the USB cable to dl. For how small it is, it does
    seem pretty idiotproof, inserting very smoothly/positively so see no reason
    to use otherwise until/unless it becomes damaged.

    pjp, Jul 26, 2005
  14. Old Bugger

    Old Bugger Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:02:33 GMT, "Dave R knows who" <> wrote:

    >> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is a
    >> fuse inside?
    >>
    >> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
    >> working. He muttered something about
    >> inserting a CF card not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one
    >> in back to front or not straight.

    >Try the smart media slot? Look into the CF slot for bent pins.

    Tried that, and all the pins look fine. ;-(
    Old Bugger, Jul 26, 2005
  15. Old Bugger

    McKev Guest

    Old Bugger wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is
    > a fuse inside?
    >
    > I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back
    > not working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not
    > being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or
    > not straight.

    I think youve learned the hard way not to loan out expensive kit like this.
    So much for your friend. Bet he didnt give a **** when he was jamming the
    card in.

    McKev
    McKev, Jul 26, 2005
  16. "Old Bugger" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:02:33 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is a
    >>> fuse inside?
    >>>
    >>> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
    >>> working. He muttered something about
    >>> inserting a CF card not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one
    >>> in back to front or not straight.

    >>Try the smart media slot? Look into the CF slot for bent pins.

    > Tried that, and all the pins look fine. ;-(

    Sorry to hear it. I have neve rhad a problem with mine and it's been
    through heck and back, including four days in the sun and sweat in Miami in
    October, to the point that the LCD had a massive amount of water inside it.
    The camera just kept on going and when I got back home it dried out after a
    few days and the LCD is fine. I've tried talking people into buying this one
    used as opposed to some of the new P&S on the market but with little luck.
    It's a great camera. However the using it recently I noticed the image
    quality certainly just doesn't hold up to my Canon DSLR's!
    Dave R knows who, Jul 27, 2005
  17. Old Bugger

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Mike wrote:

    >>Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance
    >>

    > Oh I like that idea - help all the other dishonest maggots push up the cost
    > of insurance premiums for the rest of us. Good one. Sure, I'll help pay for
    > the camera buddy.

    Actually it's likely to raise HIS premiums significantly. I don't get
    why people think that claiming every little broken/lost/stolen item on
    their homeowner's insurance is such a good idea. Oftentime the cost of
    replacement is far less than the premium increase if you do that enough
    times.

    If you absolutely want/need insurance on an item, you get a separate
    personal effects policy written. Most times it's cheap enough and your
    homeowner's policy doesn't take the hit if you claim.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Isaiah Beard, Jul 30, 2005
  18. Old Bugger

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Old Bugger wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:02:33 GMT, "Dave R knows who" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Try the smart media slot? Look into the CF slot for bent pins.

    > Tried that, and all the pins look fine. ;-(

    Time to go back to your "friend" and get the whole story out of him
    about what happened, as well as to present him with a bill. Did even
    offer to pay for repairs?

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Isaiah Beard, Jul 30, 2005