fuji s602 52mm to 52mm-28mm to nikon fc-e8 feasible?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ff, May 4, 2005.

  1. ff

    ff Guest

    I'm looking into making a bunch of inside room panoramas. Just taking
    a circle of pictures is time consuming and a narrow field of view so I
    am thinking of trying a fisheye lens. My plan is

    My s602z fuji with a 55mm tube to 52mm thread. Then a step down ring
    of 52mm to 28mm and then screw the nikon fc-e8 fisheye to it.

    I have never used lense camera stuff before so have no real idea is
    this would actually work? Will the step down ring really support a
    fisheye all on its own? Will I have trouble narrowing the lens so
    much? I am assuming I can just zoom down it or something. The fuji has
    manual aperture and focus to fiddle with.

    Am I likely to end up with a workable 180 degree view for stitching? I
    don't mind loosing a few degrees and just taking three shots instead
    of two.

    Anyway am I fooling myself or is this a feasible plan or should I give
    up and buy a second hand nikon coolpix for the lens?

    If it is then all I have to worry about is how to get a rotating
    tripod stuff...

    step down ring
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15215&item=7512738489

    55-52mm tube at
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30070&item=7511575357

    fisheye thread mentioned at
    http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/A95/Lens/Fisheye.html

    Thanks a bunch for any help
    ff, May 4, 2005

  2. ff

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Bob Salomon, May 4, 2005

  3. ff

    Paul Furman Guest

    ff wrote:

    > I'm looking into making a bunch of inside room panoramas. Just taking
    > a circle of pictures is time consuming and a narrow field of view so I
    > am thinking of trying a fisheye lens.

    I believe you will get better results stitching normal pics together. I
    tried stitching some very wide angle shots & it did not work well at
    all. I was using a 'straight line' wide angle, not a fish eye.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1
    Paul Furman, May 4, 2005
  4. ff

    Mark Dunn Guest

    Objects at the edge of the FOV of a W/A lens are distorted, fisheyes more
    so. They might stitch but you'll give the viewer a headache. Use a standard
    lens and overlap plenty.

    Mark Dunn, May 4, 2005
  5. ff

    ff Guest

    >> I'm looking into making a bunch of inside room panoramas. Just taking
    >> a circle of pictures is time consuming and a narrow field of view so I
    >> am thinking of trying a fisheye lens.

    >I believe you will get better results stitching normal pics together. I
    >tried stitching some very wide angle shots & it did not work well at
    >all. I was using a 'straight line' wide angle, not a fish eye.

    >Objects at the edge of the FOV of a W/A lens are distorted, fisheyes more
    >so. They might stitch but you'll give the viewer a headache. Use a standard
    >lens and overlap plenty.

    Thank-you for the helpful comments. However the reason I'm thinking of
    using a fisheye is because I need to do allot of small rooms. Trying
    to do them with a camera in portrait mode plus multirows to avoid a
    letterbox effect would be a nightmare.

    I imagine mosaics do obviously give more quality but in a small room
    and then reduced for the web I don't think it wil be a problem.

    Looking at pages like http://www.bophoto.com/panos/index.html his
    panoramas don't look at all distorted once stitched from 180 fisheye
    images. Allot of the ipix like panoramas on the internet make from
    fisheye lenses look fine too so I am hoping I can prevent barrelling
    problems by the modern stitching software dealing with them.

    Perhaps I am being overly optmistic in making this work but doing 30
    houses with many rooms at twenty or thirty shots a room just wouldn't
    be worth it...

    Thanks a bunch for the thoughts though.
    ff, May 7, 2005
  6. ff

    ff Guest

    Oh if anyone is reading this I bought a fc-e9 fisheye off ebay in the
    end. It does seem to work ok all in all. I used the standard fuji 55mm
    tube with two step down rings to get me to 46mm and now get a perfect
    circular 183 degree image. Non pin sharp but by the time its reduced
    to two inches high on web site it looks as good as any. I can take two
    back to back shots and capture and entire sphere of a room.

    Yes is is a little distorting as you spin around but no worse than any
    other ipix and such.

    It's rather heavy which is a bitt worrying but all in all does
    basically work.
    ff, Jun 5, 2005