    Sorry if the questions are a bit simple but at £150 in the local
    Supermarket, I just wonder.

    Adrian
    Adrian Hodgson, Dec 29, 2006

  2. Adrian Hodgson

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:31:07 +0000, Adrian Hodgson wrote:

    > Just a quick few questions if anyone has one of these camera's.
    >
    > Is there a flsh sync socket or do you have to slave off the built in flash
    > when wanting to use external studio style flash units.
    >
    > How is it with black and whire shots, can I lock it to ISO 125 and black
    > and white output to check for correct lighting.
    >
    > Sorry if the questions are a bit simple but at £150 in the local
    > Supermarket, I just wonder.

    You can answer many more questions if you download the PDF manual
    for Fuji's S5100/S5600. To answer your questions, it has no flash
    sync. socket or hot shoe, but it should be able to properly trigger
    most "smart" slaves.

    I don't know how it is with black and white shots, but whether B/W
    conversion is done by the camera or by photo editing software, the
    biggest obstacle to making good B/W prints is not having a very good
    printer as well as not learning how to get the best results from the
    right combination of printer, paper and ink.

    The S5600 has no ISO 125. You can set it to ISO 64, 100, 200, 800
    or 1600 and it will stay "locked" at that ISO. Black and white mode
    also stays put until you change it in the menu. Turning the camera
    off and back on again or changing the shooting mode won't cause
    black and white mode to revert back to standard color mode.
    ASAAR, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Adrian Hodgson

    Guest

    Adrian Hodgson wrote:
    > How is it with black and whire shots, can I lock it to ISO 125 and black
    > and white output to check for correct lighting.

    And one addition.. you may wish to use b&w mode for checking lighting
    and 'effect' immediately, but you are losing out if you shoot the final
    images in that mode, imo..

    By shooting in colour you can easily desaturate to b&w later, but you
    also have the luxury of full RGB information. That effectively means
    you have the equivalent of 3 filtered versions as if you had shot the
    same scene with red, blue and green filters - and if you have shot b&w
    seriously before you should know how useful colour filters can be.
    (OK, maybe shooting with a blue filter might not be so useful (O:, but
    red filters are great for dramatic skies, greens are great for
    skintones...

    Using a decent photoeditor you can then 'channel mix' for the best
    result.
    , Dec 30, 2006
  4. On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 01:57:29 -0800, mark.thomas.7 wrote:

    > Adrian Hodgson wrote:
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > And one addition.. you may wish to use b&w mode for checking lighting and
    > 'effect' immediately, but you are losing out if you shoot the final images
    > in that mode, imo..
    >
    > By shooting in colour you can easily desaturate to b&w later, but you also
    > have the luxury of full RGB information. That effectively means you have
    > the equivalent of 3 filtered versions as if you had shot the same scene
    > with red, blue and green filters - and if you have shot b&w seriously
    > before you should know how useful colour filters can be. (OK, maybe
    > shooting with a blue filter might not be so useful (O:, but red filters
    > are great for dramatic skies, greens are great for skintones...
    >
    > Using a decent photoeditor you can then 'channel mix' for the best result.

    I know that at ome time I may have to get into digital, probably for
    colour shots but main camera is a Medium format 645 and just trying to
    find a way to optimise lighting setups by being able to see quick results.

    Thanks both for the replies. Just have to think about use of the flash
    with the fuki.

    Adrian
    Adrian Hodgson, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Adrian Hodgson

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:12:51 +0000, Adrian Hodgson wrote:

    > I know that at ome time I may have to get into digital, probably for
    > colour shots but main camera is a Medium format 645 and just trying to
    > find a way to optimise lighting setups by being able to see quick results.
    >
    > Thanks both for the replies. Just have to think about use of the flash
    > with the fuki.

    For your purposes the larger Fuji S9100 / S9600 may be more useful
    if you can manage the higher cost. Its slightly larger tiltable 2"
    LCD display has 235,000 pixels vs. the S5200's non-tiltable 115,000
    pixel display. The S9100 / S9600 also has a flash hot shoe which
    can be used to trigger your external studio flashes more easily and
    reliably.
    ASAAR, Dec 30, 2006