    Which would you recommend and why?

    Which is better 10x zoom and 6x zoom?

    Many thanks

    Paul D, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Paul D

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:35:16 +0100, Paul D wrote:

    > I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
    > models.
    >
    > Which would you recommend and why?

    Neither. Because you didn't provide any information describing
    why you want to upgrade and what feature(s) you consider important
    in a camera.

    ASAAR, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Paul D

    Paul D Guest

    n Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:48:10 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:35:16 +0100, Paul D wrote:
    >
    >> I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
    >> models.
    >>
    >> Which would you recommend and why?

    > Neither. Because you didn't provide any information describing
    >why you want to upgrade and what feature(s) you consider important
    >in a camera.

    I want a camera with increased optical zoom, more manual controls
    including improved shutter control for astrophotography, and general I
    want to upgrade from my current camera.

    Paul D, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Paul D

    colin. Guest

    "Paul D" <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> wrote in message
    | I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
    | models.
    |
    | Which would you recommend and why?
    |
    | Which is better 10x zoom and 6x zoom?

    I bought a S5500 last weekend and all I can say is that I love it. However,
    I don't know what you want to use it for. Be more specific.

    colin., Jul 3, 2005
  5. Paul D

    Paul D Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:04:27 GMT, "colin." <colin###@###j0o.com>
    wrote:

    >"Paul D" <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> wrote in message
    >| I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
    >| models.
    >|
    >| Which would you recommend and why?
    >|
    >| Which is better 10x zoom and 6x zoom?
    >

    >I bought a S5500 last weekend and all I can say is that I love it. However,
    >I don't know what you want to use it for. Be more specific.

    I use my camera for still life, sports, music festivals and general
    landscape/seascape photos.

    I want to upgrade my camera and increase the optical zoom capability.

    Paul D, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Paul D

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:39:10 +0100, Paul D wrote:

    > I want a camera with increased optical zoom, more manual controls
    > including improved shutter control for astrophotography, and general I
    > want to upgrade from my current camera.

    I have a Fuji S5100, and while it is a very nice camera, it
    wouldn't be suitable for astrophotography. It doesn't allow for
    long shutter speeds. Only 15 seconds in Manual mode, 3 seconds
    otherwise. I don't know for sure, but I think that the S7000 has
    the same limit. The reviews at dpreview.com are useful here because
    one of the tests they do checks for low light performance. The
    cameras that do better here usually have a "de-noise" option that
    allows the black areas to remain relatively dark, eliminating the
    "fog" effect that you generally get.

    For a general upgrade, the Fuji S5100 would be a nice little
    camera that's very flexible. But if you want to take lots of
    non-celestial pictures with the lens zoomed to the long tele
    position, you might prefer one of the other cameras (Canon,
    Panasonic, Sony, etc.) that has image stabilization. For
    astrophotography, you might be better off with one of the more
    inexpensive DSLRs, as they're the direction you need to go for low
    noise, higher sensitivity. and they'd certainly be a big upgrade and
    would provide all of the manual controls you'd want.

    ASAAR, Jul 3, 2005
  7. Paul D

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul D <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> wrote:

    > I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
    > models.
    >
    > Which would you recommend and why?
    >
    > Which is better 10x zoom and 6x zoom?

    I bought the 7000 a year ago. I'd say the 6x zoom (35mm equivalent is
    210mm - 4.2x magnification) is about the limit if you don't use a tripod.
    The 7000 has a very smart interpolation to 12.3 megapixels but has a
    VERY aggressive autofocus that often does what you don't want it to do.

    If extended zooming is necessary take a look at the Panasonic cameras
    with image stabilization.

    Stewy, Jul 5, 2005