    I morrowed to this two models.
    Which one would you advise me to buy?
    thanks

    jazu, May 16, 2006

  2. jazu

    russell Guest

    Neither.. The S3 is a much better camera.

    russell

    russell, May 16, 2006

  3. jazu

    Steve Guest

    jazu wrote:
    > I morrowed to this two models.
    > Which one would you advise me to buy?
    > thanks

    I can only comment on the s5200 as thats what i have.
    The only fault i found with the 5200 is the macro no being great
    but if you do alot of macro then a lens can be purchased to
    counter that.

    i like to shoot 3:2 too which the canon appears cant.
    And ISO upto 1600 on the 5200 does come in handy occiasionally.

    Canon is still a nice piece of kit though.

    Steve, May 16, 2006
  4. jazu

    SleeperMan Guest

    russell wrote:
    > Neither.. The S3 is a much better camera.

    much? WE all agree that S3 is a LITTLE better than S2. But, to buy new, i
    would advise S3, too, sure. But improvement is minor.
    Depends...if a man needs 6M pixels, or live histogram, then go for it. About
    ISO 800 - forget it, since it's useless.

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

    SleeperMan, May 16, 2006
  5. jazu

    y_p_w Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > jazu wrote:
    > > I morrowed to this two models.
    > > Which one would you advise me to buy?
    > > thanks
    > >

    > I can only comment on the s5200 as thats what i have.
    > The only fault i found with the 5200 is the macro no being great
    > but if you do alot of macro then a lens can be purchased to
    > counter that.
    >
    > i like to shoot 3:2 too which the canon appears cant.

    The S3 IS has a 3:2 shooting mode.

    y_p_w, May 16, 2006
  6. jazu

    y_p_w Guest

    jazu wrote:
    > I morrowed to this two models.
    > Which one would you advise me to buy?

    I would suppose the big drawback to the FujiFilm camera
    is the use of the xD Picture Card. The choice and pricing
    of Secure Digital cards is generally better, and card reader
    support is easily better. I do have a SanDisk 8-in-1 reader
    that takes xD, but most multi-format cards readers don't
    take them.

    y_p_w, May 16, 2006
  7. jazu

    russell Guest

    Well I think its much better than an S2. And I have all 3.
    I know the improvements may be small over the S2, but the important things
    to me is the sport mode and the black body and lens. I still use the S1 and
    love the S3 but will never use the S2 again.

    russell

    russell, May 17, 2006
  8. jazu

    Beefy_SAFC Guest

    jazu wrote:
    > I morrowed to this two models.
    > Which one would you advise me to buy?
    > thanks

    Fuji S5200:

    GOOD:

    1) Fast start up on switch on (about as fast as I've seen on a camera).
    Ready to photo straight away. Barrel is permanently extended, so
    you don't have to wait for it to be rolled out.
    2) Good focussing speed in good light and very quick to take a photo
    under such circumstances.
    3) Better at lower light photography than previous Fuji incarnations.
    Useful when needing to avoid flash in moderate light. Also apparently
    cleaner image at 400 / 800 ISO on long exposure than previous Fuji
    cameras.
    4) Olympus TCON-17 telephoto (1.7X) and WCON-07 wide angle (0.7X)
    conversion lenses attach straight to it's 37 mm to 370 mm barrel it
    without adaptors.
    5) Cheaper

    BAD:

    1) Macro not best in world.
    2) ISO ramping rather than proper image stabilisation - okay provided
    not too much movement. Can on rare occasions overcompensate and lead
    to over exposure.
    3) Continuous shoot too slow at once every 0.9 seconds. First three
    shooting and final three shooting rather than first 5 and final five
    shooting as on previous Fuji models.
    4) xD cards need to be made much faster or ditched in favour of the
    faster sD.

    The bad points have at times been serious irritations. I kept hold of
    an S7000 specifically because of the bad points (poor continuous shhot
    plus poor macro). Where the S5600 is weak, the S7000 is strong and
    vice versa.

    Canon S2/3:

    GOOD:

    1) Slightly better zoom (36 mm to 430 mm - 12x - rather than 37 mm to
    370 mm - 10x - on Fuji ).
    2) Proper image stabilisation.
    3) Faster continuous shoot, provided you have super fast sD cards.
    4) Proper macro and super macro modes for close up photography.

    2) and 3) are important to me.

    BAD:

    1) Barrel needs to be extended on start up, thus longer time before you
    can start taking photos (annoying when you need to take a quick
    picture).
    2) Adaptor needed when you want to add conversion lenses.
    3) Slightly bulkier.

    The S3 as far as I know is the S2, but with 6 MP max insead of 5 MP and
    black rather than silver. The S3 may take 'softer' pictures and I'm
    not sure if this is a plus or a minus yet.

    I've been considering bailing out of the Fuji in favour of the Canon
    and I'm not sure what to do yet, as I'm still at the research stage.
    It's a case of horses for courses and what's important to you in the
    camera.

    Head to head, the Canon has more to it, but you pay for the features.
    I'm guessing on a S5700 / S5300 in the summer and perhaps the weakneses
    of the Fuji will be sorted out. That said, Fuji are beginning to lag
    behind the opposition.

    Beefy_SAFC, May 17, 2006
  9. jazu

    Beefy_SAFC Guest

    jazu wrote:
> [...]

    can start taking photos (annoying when you need to take a quick
    picture).
    2) Adaptor needed when you want to add conversion lenses.
    3) Slightly bulkier.

    The S3 as far as I know is the S2, but with 6 MP max insead of 5 MP and
    black rather than silver. The S3 may take 'softer' pictures and I'm
    not sure if this is a plus or a minus yet.

    I've been considering bailing out of the Fuji in favour of the Canon
    and I'm not sure what to do yet, as I'm still at the research stage.
    It's a case of horses for courses and what's important to you in the
    camera.

    Head to head, the Canon has more to it, but you pay for the features.
    I'm guessing on a S5700 / S5300 in the summer and perhaps the weakneses
    of the Fuji will be sorted out. That said, Fuji are beginning to lag

    Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

    Beefy_SAFC, May 17, 2006
  10. jazu

    ASAAR Guest

    On 17 May 2006 01:48:44 -0700, Beefy_SAFC wrote:

    > Fuji S5200:
    > . . .
    > BAD:
    > . . .
    > 3) Continuous shoot too slow at once every 0.9 seconds. First three
    > shooting and final three shooting rather than first 5 and final five
    > shooting as on previous Fuji models.

    The previous model (S5100) also had a Top Three and Final Three
    limit. The older S5000 provided more than three. I was surprised
    to see the Long Period Continuous Shooting has slowed to 0.9 seconds
    per shot. The S5100 is faster, capturing images every 0.6 seconds.

    > 4) xD cards need to be made much faster or ditched in favour of the
    > faster sD.

    Why do you say this? The old xD cards seem more than fast enough
    for these cameras, and any lack of speed seems to be due to the
    camera design, not a card limitation. I think that the old M type
    xD cards were rated at about 40x or 45x. For shooting video at the
    greatest frame rate and resolution, I haven't noticed any skipped
    frames or other problems using M type cards.

    The newer H type (High Speed) xD cards have been mentioned here
    before, but I haven't checked any stores or ads so I don't know if
    they're currently being sold or not. They'd probably be the cards
    to get for the better, more demanding DSLRs that use xD cards, but
    I'd be surprised if they'd result in any greater performance if used
    in current P&S cameras.

    > I've been considering bailing out of the Fuji in favour of the Canon
    > and I'm not sure what to do yet, as I'm still at the research stage.
    > It's a case of horses for courses and what's important to you in the
    > camera.

    It would be nice if the next Fuji implemented IS, but Fuji's
    approach using a more light sensitive sensor can be advantageous in
    certain situations. With sufficient light, IS does a good job since
    it's effective in reducing the blurring effect of hand/camera
    movement. In low light situations, while it still helps reduce
    camera movement, it works by allowing slower shutter speeds, but
    since in low light the necessary shutter speeds are already fairly
    slow, lengthening shutter times can greatly increase blur due to
    subject movement. In situations where a tripod is used, IS no
    longer provides its advantage. As you say, what's important to you
    is what counts, and both (S5200 and S3 IS) make good choices. The
    main deficiencies I've found in the S5100 are poor manual focusing
    (greatly improved in the larger S9000) and the lack of a hot shoe.
    A larger LCD would also be nice, but the relatively small size is
    offset by the great magnification that's possible on playback.

    ASAAR, May 17, 2006
  11. jazu

    SleeperMan Guest

    russell wrote:
    > Well I think its much better than an S2. And I have all 3.
    > I know the improvements may be small over the S2, but the important
    > things to me is the sport mode and the black body and lens. I still
    > use the S1 and love the S3 but will never use the S2 again.
    >
    > russell

    hm....sorry if i (and many others) find black color as minor. And it's
    really stupid to buy S3 if you already have S2. Now, S1 - that HAD some
    major downs...

    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

    SleeperMan, May 17, 2006
  12. jazu

    russell Guest

    Unless you buy an S3 you will never know....

    "SleeperMan" <> wrote>

    russell, May 17, 2006
  13. jazu

    SleeperMan Guest

    russell wrote:
    > Unless you buy an S3 you will never know....

    true. But, then again, buying it would be a waste of money, as each buy if
    you don't see some info and reviews BEFORE purchase

    SleeperMan, May 18, 2006
  14. jazu

    russell Guest

    True, but if I listened to you I wouldn't have the S3, and I am for sure,
    glad I spent the money on it.
    Anyway, , I don't know how expensive they are in your country, they don't
    cost an arm or a leg here.
    In fact less an a weeks wages...

    russell

    "SleeperMan" wrote >>

    russell, May 19, 2006
  15. jazu

    SleeperMan Guest

    russell wrote:
    > True, but if I listened to you I wouldn't have the S3, and I am for
    > sure, glad I spent the money on it.
    > Anyway, , I don't know how expensive they are in your country, they
    > don't cost an arm or a leg here.
    > In fact less an a weeks wages...

    huh...
    i'd say more lke a month wage here... that's why i say it's not worthed to
    replace S2 with S3. I see your point, though
    --
    Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

    SleeperMan, May 20, 2006
  16. jazu

    russell Guest

    I paid $669 Australian and I get more than that per week and I'm an car
    mechanic, not the best paid job for sure...

    http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod3203.htm

    russell, May 20, 2006
  17. jazu

    SleeperMan Guest

    russell wrote:
    > I paid $669 Australian and I get more than that per week and I'm an
    > car mechanic, not the best paid job for sure...

    What can i say... i always knew that i was born in a wrong country :))
    and here is somewhat more than that... about $880 Australian

    SleeperMan, May 20, 2006