    teddy Guest

    I cannot understand what the Fuji S5100 P mode setting is for that is
    described in the manual. Can you explain it to me?

    teddy, Jun 14, 2005

  2. teddy

    ASAAR Guest

    On 14 Jun 2005 00:41:43 -0700, teddy wrote:

    > I cannot understand what the Fuji S5100 P mode setting is for that is
    > described in the manual. Can you explain it to me?

    It's main purpose is to be almost as fully automatic as Auto mode,
    but to allow you to easily adjust the shutter speed/aperture, while
    the camera still uses its meter to figure out what exposure to use.
    It's almost like having the capabilities of both A and S (Aperture
    and Shutter Priority) combined in one mode, but sacrificing a little
    bit, as the latter two modes provide more detailed information in
    the display when underexposure or overexposure might occur due to
    selecting a shutter speed(aperture) for which an aperture(shutter
    speed) doesn't exist that would yield the same exposure.

    If you know in advance that you're going to need to use specific
    apertures (such as large apertures to minimize depth of field) then
    you'd probably want to use A mode. Similarly, if you want to use
    specific shutter speeds (long exposures to produce a little blur,
    which suggests motion, or short exposures to freeze fast moving
    objects) then you might prefer S mode. If you never know in advance
    what type of settings might be needed, P mode might be more
    convenient, as you wouldn't have to keep changing the dial from P
    mode to S mode (and vice-versa), and you still would be able to get
    the shutter speed or aperture that you wish.

    There are also some other differences between the modes that are
    explained on page 33 of the manual. For instance, "Auto Flash" can
    be used in P mode, but not in S or A modes. "Slow Synchro Flash"
    and "Slow Synchro Flash with RedEye Reduction" can be used in P and
    A modes, but not in S mode.

    ASAAR, Jun 14, 2005

  3. teddy

    A.P. Guest

    "teddy" <> wrote in message
    > I cannot understand what the Fuji S5100 P mode setting is for that is
    > described in the manual. Can you explain it to me?

    My FujiFinpix S7000 is like this (Modes almost the same as S5100) :

    Mode AUTO : The cam decide Shutter and Amperture, the
    user decides nothing ( all pic's looks like daylight shoots ).
    The user can not select Under\Over exposure!

    Mode P : The user is alowed to decide 2 things :
    1. Under\Over exposure ( you may want to underexpose a
    "Dinner for two with candlelight" picture).
    2. The relationsship between Shutter and Amperture,
    you may want to use quick Shutter and large Amperture
    or slow Shutter and small Amperture, but the cam will
    help you get a correct exposure.

    Mode S: You decide the Shutter speed, the cam decide
    the Amperture to give correct exposure.

    Mode A: You decide the Ampertture, the cam decide the
    the Shutter speed to give correct exposure.

    Mode M: You decide everything ( Shutter and Amperture), the cam
    decides nothing. (No help from cam to achive correct exposure,
    except from the Light Meter that tells you what kinda exposure
    your settings will give ).

    You can select Over\Under exposure in S & A mode too.

    .... This how i imagin that my S7000 works ;-)

    reg
    AP

    A.P., Jun 15, 2005
  4. teddy

    teddy Guest

    Thank you very much Assar I appreciate your help.

    teddy, Jun 17, 2005
  5. teddy

    teddy Guest

    Thanks very much A.P. your help is appreciated very much too.

    teddy, Jun 17, 2005