    or better than others?

    Thanks
    Christiana

    CJ, Dec 15, 2003

  2. CJ

    Pierre D Guest

    (CJ) wrote in
    news::

    > Hi all, Christiana here... My husband just bought me the Fuji S5000
    > for our anniversary. Nice present, but as I've always been a point and
    > shoot, I'm a bit overwhelmed.

    Your camera is a point and shoot toy with poor resolution. No offense. Read
    the reviews.

    > What with recovering from bronchitis as well, my patience level isn't
    > exactly where it would normally be :)
    > Can anyone tell me how you adjust the camera so it can take pictures
    > in low light conditions?

    The lens on the camera is too slow to take good low light pictures without
    a tripod.

    Pierre D, Dec 15, 2003

  3. CJ

    Alan Browne Guest

    Divorce the SOB unless he gets you a Minolta A1, or better yet a Canon
    D10 with 28-135 IS lens.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Dec 15, 2003
  4. CJ

    Randy Davis Guest

    Have you tried it with the flash unit? The button is on the left side next
    to the flash unit. Press the button and the flash will pop up. Ignore the
    idiots who want to tell you how bad your camera is. If it works for you,
    it's great.

    Randy Davis

    Randy Davis, Dec 16, 2003
  5. I agree with Randy. I see alot of brand loyalists (trying to be PC
    here) and on this NG.

    The S5000 is a fine camera, and you can get lots for it and do lots
    with it. It was a gift, so no looking the gift horse in teh mouth!

    As to the suggestions on wehat to get.,...if you were a pro or serious
    amature, yeah, there are other cameras, but then you wouldn't be
    asking the question you are if you were!

    Some people have no budget limitations, or think he who dies with the
    most toys wins.

    So to those that have a Canon 1D, 10D etc, and think that we who have
    'lesser' cameras, I ask this...is your car a Ferrari, Rolls Royce or
    Maybach? NO???? Then perhaps you should quit driving until you have
    the best car there is.

    If you cannot answer Christiana in some helpful way, you apparenlty
    know less than you want us to believe, so if you want to preach, go to
    some street corner - preferably in the bad section of town. At night.

    chris

    Chris P in PA, Dec 16, 2003
  6. CJ

    Kirk Davison Guest

    A few thing you can do here. The flash on this camera is great. Pop it up
    and it will take a great picture of fido. The other option would be to
    raise the iso to 800 but this has a number of problems with it such as only
    one megapixal and noise. It must be very dark because the camera has a
    fairly fast lens for a 10x zoom. Do not listen to what some of the brand
    idiots have to say. I have a friend with a Canon g-3 and one with an
    Olympus 740 something or other. All 3 take great pictures and all 3 take
    bad pictures. Take a good shot from all 3 and you would be hard pressed to
    tell them apart (although the g3 does not zoom as far

    Kirk Davison, Dec 16, 2003
  7. CJ

    Billy Radio Guest

    You have a fine camera, ignore the nimrods that tell you otherwise. All
    digitals struggle somewhat in low light, my s5000 does the same. I have had
    10 digital cameras starting with the old sony mavica and including the
    digireb. S5000- It has a great zoom and feature set for the price point and
    with a little work the pics can look great. Battery life is phenomenal, zoom
    is unmatched by just a very few non dslr cameras. Do not up the ISO to 800
    to shoot in low light, too much noise. Find more light. Camera is certainly
    good enough to save 600 bucks for not having a bulky dslr not counting any
    lens that will make a difference. Photoshop Elements is a great program you
    can grown into over time and not spend a fortune. Some would also say Paint
    Shop Pro, but I prefer elements. There is a nice s5000 website at
    http://www.majgaj.com/s5000/

    I have just recently found it.

    Billy Radio

    Billy Radio, Dec 16, 2003
  8. CJ

    Ante Guest

    "CJ" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hi all, Christiana here... My husband just bought me the Fuji S5000
    > for our anniversary. Nice present, but as I've always been a point and
    > shoot, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
    > What with recovering from bronchitis as well, my patience level isn't
    > exactly where it would normally be :)
    > Can anyone tell me how you adjust the camera so it can take pictures
    > in low light conditions? I was taking pictures of my scottie puppy and
    > it was so dark you could just see there was a dog, but nothing clear.
    > Also, is there a good imaging/editing software program that's easier
    > or better than others?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Christiana

    I have a new s5000 and I love it. I went to the store the other day to make
    copies for the first time and I think they look great. I've discovered that
    it might be hard to take pics in low light but with the flash they are
    acceptable. I bought a small (20 cm high) tripod which I use when taking
    pics in low loight. That way you can have a longer shutter speed and the
    tripod was only about 10 Euro.

    Talking about sotware there is no better than Photoshop 7 but since it is
    rather expensive (more expensive than the camera itself) you might try
    Paintshop Pro.

    //A.

    Ante, Dec 16, 2003
  9. CJ

    CJ Guest

    Thanks for the "support" from those who offered it, and/or offered
    some reasonable advise.
    I had no idea I would get jumped on for a simple question/request for
    help. I was pretty sure it wasn't a crime to ask questions if you
    didn't know something.
    Ah well, there will always be those who know everything and don't like
    to share.
    I'm sorry there are those of who think theirs is the only brand that
    should be used..ever.
    I'm not an expert, never claimed to be, just had a problem and thought
    some of you "experts" might be able and willing to help.
    This is a good camera for my needs, and yes, I did my research before
    hand.
    If you can't help, fine, but I'd appreciate not being insulted.

    Christiana

    CJ, Dec 17, 2003
  10. CJ

    Ralph Guest

    Don't let the camera snobs get to you.
    Did you try using the flash?

    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply

    Ralph, Dec 17, 2003
  11. CJ

    Bill Guest

    I totally agree with you! Sometimes the tone of the replies is very
    condescending! People buy what they want to buy! I also did a lot of
    research before buying my Fuji S602. I love it and never regret my decision!
    For me it was the best possible choice. So enjoy your S5000! Don't listen to
    anyone who is just here to trash brands they don't like. Have fun!
    Bill

    Bill, Dec 17, 2003
  12. "CJ" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the "support" from those who offered it, and/or offered
    > some reasonable advise.
    > I had no idea I would get jumped on for a simple question/request

    for
    > help. I was pretty sure it wasn't a crime to ask questions if you
    > didn't know something.
    > Ah well, there will always be those who know everything and don't

    like
    > to share.
    > I'm sorry there are those of who think theirs is the only brand that
    > should be used..ever.
    > I'm not an expert, never claimed to be, just had a problem and

    thought
    > some of you "experts" might be able and willing to help.
    > This is a good camera for my needs, and yes, I did my research

    before
    > hand.
    > If you can't help, fine, but I'd appreciate not being insulted.
    >
    > Christiana

    They can't all be that bad in this group. I just bought a Sigma SD9
    and haven't been crucified for it (yet). You should join the Fuji
    FinePix group at www.yahoogroups .com. Register and then you can join
    the group. A great bunch resides in there and will give you all the
    help and advice you need.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 18, 2003
  13. CJ

    Bill Guest