    TIA

    Andy Mc
    -=Plane Mad=-

    -=Plane Mad=-, Oct 14, 2003

  2. -=Plane Mad=-

    max Guest

    > I was looking at the Fuji S2 pro.
    > The brochure says to use 4x AA Alkaline batteries and not NiMh batteries.
    > Is this correct?
    > Can you not use rechargables?
    > Any body tried rechargables in the Fuji S2 pro?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Andy Mc

    Yes four recharchable NiMh AA's are what you should use
    and two Cr123 lithium or nikon batterypack mb16.
    -max-

    max, Oct 14, 2003

  3. "-=Plane Mad=-" <> wrote in message
    > I was looking at the Fuji S2 pro.
    > The brochure says to use 4x AA Alkaline batteries and not NiMh batteries.
    > Is this correct?
    > Can you not use rechargables?
    > Any body tried rechargables in the Fuji S2 pro?

    Rechargeable NiMH batteries are the only way to go in a digital camera,
    including the S2 Pro. Fuji includes some generic alkalines in the USA
    package -- use them in your flashlight, not in your camera.

    Alkaline cells perform poorly in high-drain devices like digital cameras.
    You can use alkaline AAs in an S2 Pro in a pinch, but 4 good 1800-2100 mah
    NiMH cells will perform much, much better (last much longer) and will
    quickly end up being a much cheaper route.

    The S2 Pro also uses CR123A. If you decide to use them (I do, but some
    don't) you can buy them in bulk for about a dollar apiece.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Oct 14, 2003
  4. "Howard McCollister" <> writes:

    > "-=Plane Mad=-" <> wrote in message
    > > I was looking at the Fuji S2 pro.
    > > The brochure says to use 4x AA Alkaline batteries and not NiMh batteries.
    > > Is this correct?
    > > Can you not use rechargables?
    > > Any body tried rechargables in the Fuji S2 pro?
    > >

    > Rechargeable NiMH batteries are the only way to go in a digital camera,
    > including the S2 Pro. Fuji includes some generic alkalines in the USA
    > package -- use them in your flashlight, not in your camera.

    Or use them for about the first 1/4 of the time it takes to charge
    your NiMHs, if you have a fast charger :)
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 14, 2003
  5. "-=Plane Mad=-" <> wrote in message
    > I was looking at the Fuji S2 pro.
    > The brochure says to use 4x AA Alkaline batteries and not NiMh batteries.
    > Is this correct?
    > Can you not use rechargables?
    > Any body tried rechargables in the Fuji S2 pro?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Andy Mc
    > -=Plane Mad=-

    Hi Andy Mc,
    have a look to this site www.qtm.com
    I use the "Quantum +1" batterie since the S1 came out.
    You will forget thinking about batteries!
    Juliane

    Juliane Biallas, Oct 14, 2003
  6. -=Plane Mad=-

    Myron Wellan Guest

    Where can you order the CR123A batteries for $1 each.

    Thanks,

    Myron Wellan, Oct 15, 2003
  7. -=Plane Mad=-

    Tom Nelson Guest

    In article <kpgjb.359$>, Myron Wellan
    <> wrote:

    > Where can you order the CR123A batteries for $1 each.

    20 for $25 is the best price I've found:
    http://store.yahoo.com/botach/to3volibapa.html
    Tom Nelson
    Tom Nelson Photography

    Tom Nelson, Oct 15, 2003
  8. "Myron Wellan" <> wrote in message
    > Where can you order the CR123A batteries for $1 each.

    Botach Tactical. Sorry, it looks like the price has gone up, however. They
    are now $1.20 each. Look at http://tinyurl.com/r2fb

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Oct 15, 2003
  9. -=Plane Mad=-

    Guest

    , Oct 16, 2003
  10. In the S2, I get right around 400 - 450 shots from a set of 4 1800 mAh
    rechargables. I've shot arolund 2800 images so far, and just today I installed
    the second replacement set of CR 123s. So, it appears that they're good for
    around 1300 images per set.

    From what I've read here, the CR123s run the flash, so if you do a LOT of flash
    shooting your life may decrease... I've probably shot 200-300 images with the
    flash...

    For me, the biggest reason I keep the CR123s in the camera is that without them
    the eyepiece display (shutter, aperture, etc) only displays when you've got the
    shutter partially displayed. I like to see what I'm getting when I'm shooting
    in manual mode and/or bracketing...

    I bought 20 of the CR123s form Botach and so far they've been great...

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Oct 25, 2003
  11. -=Plane Mad=-

    max Guest

    > In the S2, I get right around 400 - 450 shots from a set of 4 1800 mAh
    > rechargables. I've shot arolund 2800 images so far, and just today I installed
    > the second replacement set of CR 123s. So, it appears that they're good for
    > around 1300 images per set.

    It is not so simple - It depends on your shooting technique and a lot on
    which lens you are using, try doing the test with a vr lens or in c mode.

    > From what I've read here, the CR123s run the flash, so if you do a LOT of flash
    > shooting your life may decrease... I've probably shot 200-300 images with the
    > flash...

    It is not so simple -

    > For me, the biggest reason I keep the CR123s in the camera is that without them
    > the eyepiece display (shutter, aperture, etc) only displays when you've got the
    > shutter partially displayed. I like to see what I'm getting when I'm shooting
    > in manual mode and/or bracketing...

    Not true - It happens when the AA batteries are lower on energy, which
    ocours faster when running on only one set of AA's.

    > I bought 20 of the CR123s form Botach and so far they've been great...

    Congratulations - I got the recomended Panasonic's and they went like
    M&M's... Now I use the MB-16 and a whole lot of AA NiMh's for me
    it works out a lot cheaper and I like the better camera/lens balance with
    heavyer lenses like 17-35 and 70-200.

    If the energy situation on the S2 was better, and the build quality (3 times
    repair shop) - it would be a fine camera, I hope Fujifilm gets it right on their
    next model.. ;o)-max-

    max, Oct 25, 2003
  12. OK, I should have said your mileage may vary...

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:20:45 +0200, "max" <> wrote:

    >> In the S2, I get right around 400 - 450 shots from a set of 4 1800 mAh
    >> rechargables. I've shot arolund 2800 images so far, and just today I installed
    >> the second replacement set of CR 123s. So, it appears that they're good for
    >> around 1300 images per set.

    >It is not so simple - It depends on your shooting technique and a lot on
    >which lens you are using, try doing the test with a vr lens or in c mode.

    My technique is pretty lazy - I frequently forget to turn the camera off - and I
    use "c" mode (I presume this is continuous focus?) most of the time. I don't
    have any VR lenses though, the 70-400 I had didn't work very well.

    >> From what I've read here, the CR123s run the flash, so if you do a LOT of flash
    >> shooting your life may decrease... I've probably shot 200-300 images with the
    >> flash...

    >It is not so simple -
    >
    >> For me, the biggest reason I keep the CR123s in the camera is that without them
    >> the eyepiece display (shutter, aperture, etc) only displays when you've got the
    >> shutter partially displayed. I like to see what I'm getting when I'm shooting
    >> in manual mode and/or bracketing...

    >Not true - It happens when the AA batteries are lower on energy, which
    >ocours faster when running on only one set of AA's.

    How come when I take the CR 123s out of the camera I don't have an eyepiece
    display until I depress the shutter? On mine, when the AAs get low, the
    function display flashes, the camera beeps, and generally makes a pest of
    itself. When the CR123s go, it still works but I lose the information in the
    eyepiece... Am I missing something?

    >> I bought 20 of the CR123s form Botach and so far they've been great...

    >Congratulations - I got the recomended Panasonic's and they went like
    >M&M's... Now I use the MB-16 and a whole lot of AA NiMh's for me
    >it works out a lot cheaper and I like the better camera/lens balance with
    >heavyer lenses like 17-35 and 70-200.

    I've heard the MB-16 is cool, but it has to be modified to work on the S2. Was
    this true in your case? If so, what did you have to modify?

    >If the energy situation on the S2 was better, and the build quality (3 times
    >repair shop) - it would be a fine camera, I hope Fujifilm gets it right on their
    >next model.. ;o)-max-

    Well, Mine's only been in once so far, although the first one I got wouldn't
    format CF cards...

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Oct 26, 2003
  13. -=Plane Mad=-

    max Guest

    > >> For me, the biggest reason I keep the CR123s in the camera is that without them
    > >> the eyepiece display (shutter, aperture, etc) only displays when you've got the
    > >> shutter partially displayed. I like to see what I'm getting when I'm shooting
    > >> in manual mode and/or bracketing...

    > >Not true - It happens when the AA batteries are lower on energy, which
    > >ocours faster when running on only one set of AA's.

    > How come when I take the CR 123s out of the camera I don't have an eyepiece
    > display until I depress the shutter? On mine, when the AAs get low, the
    > function display flashes, the camera beeps, and generally makes a pest of
    > itself. When the CR123s go, it still works but I lose the information in the
    > eyepiece... Am I missing something?

    With the Cr123 champer empty I still get info in the viewfinder, however it
    quite quickly (ca.50-100shots) only shows up when shutter is depressed.

    > >> I bought 20 of the CR123s form Botach and so far they've been great...

    > >Congratulations - I got the recomended Panasonic's and they went like
    > >M&M's... Now I use the MB-16 and a whole lot of AA NiMh's for me
    > >it works out a lot cheaper and I like the better camera/lens balance with
    > >heavyer lenses like 17-35 and 70-200.
    > >

    > I've heard the MB-16 is cool, but it has to be modified to work on the S2. Was
    > this true in your case? If so, what did you have to modify?

    The battery pack has som small edges that need to be filed down, a very simple
    prosedure, you can not make any mistakes here, I followed some photos posted
    on pbase, but when you have the parts it all makes sence what has to be done.
    Secondly you need some tape around the rods that go into the CR123 champer,
    enough to make a snug fit. Now and then I need to clean the metal contacts in
    the champer I don't know why. Freshly charged AA have to be fired a few times
    before the pop up flash will work, I don't know why. The hatch on the CR123
    champer can de a little diffecult to get off first time, hold it at 90 degree angle and
    use a small screwdriver, a little force may be needed. second time it is easy to do,
    in case you have a UW house that won't fit the MB-16.

    > >If the energy situation on the S2 was better, and the build quality (3 times
    > >repair shop) - it would be a fine camera, I hope Fujifilm gets it right on their
    > >next model.. ;o)-max-
    > >

    > Well, Mine's only been in once so far, although the first one I got wouldn't
    > format CF cards...

    Mine had a shutter release problem, a firewire connector problem and an energy
    and dead pixel problem, the service was exellent, fixed and returned in about a
    week every time. Even it had to go to a service center abroard. (Germany)
    ;o)-max-

    max, Oct 26, 2003