    stolen merchandise, lack of a real retailer/wholesaler, and providing shipping
    and/or electronic information to someone unknown...

    Thoughts?

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Aug 5, 2003

  2. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Jimmy Guest

    <dperez@juno_nospam.com> wrote in message news:...
    > I haven't bid on things on Ebay before but I'm looking at a Fuji S2 Pro and
    > thought I'd give it a try.
    >
    > Shortly after bidding I received an email from a seller offering me a guaranteed
    > new, US version Fuji S2 kit for substantially less than I've seen it anywhere
    > else. Being the cynical, leery, untrusting old curmudgeon that I am I repled
    > requesting information about the sellers online store, identification so I could
    > check feedback on Ebay, etc.
    >
    > I got a reply offering me the camera FIRST. The seller will SHIP ME the camera
    > prior to payment, let me investigate and verify the unit is good, then provide
    > bank information for me to may payment to.
    >
    > Without falling into the old "if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably
    > is" paradigm, has anyone else had an experience like this? If so, were you
    > successful with your purchase?
    >
    > I have no problem saving several hundred dollars but I'm a bit concerned about
    > stolen merchandise, lack of a real retailer/wholesaler, and providing shipping
    > and/or electronic information to someone unknown...
    >
    > Thoughts?

    Watch out. If the Ebay auction is still open and the seller is making such an offer, this violates
    Ebay rules. I have never heard of anyone offering to send the product without receiving a payment
    up front. At the very best I would have expected a COD sort of deal. Contact Ebay.

    Jimmy, Aug 5, 2003

  3. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Lucas Tam, Aug 5, 2003
  4. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    John Russell Guest

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:24:09 -0500, dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:
    >I got a reply offering me the camera FIRST. The seller will SHIP ME the camera
    >prior to payment, let me investigate and verify the unit is good, then provide
    >bank information for me to may payment to.

    I have read of a scam where an order is placed using a stolen credit
    card and shipped to you. You then transfer money to bank in <insert
    name of Eastern European country here>. You are happy because you got
    your merchandise fair and square. If the person whose card was
    charged tracks down the bogus charge, it looks like you are the bad
    guy. So you and the guy who owns the credit card are left to fight it
    out.

    John
    --
    Photo gallery: http://www.pbase.com/john_russell/

    John Russell, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Thanks all... Yeah, there are times when its GOOD to be suspicious! I even
    showed this email to my wife, and even she, who has MUCH more faith in my fellow
    humans than I, thought it smelled...

    Oh well... Between these people and those like dartgirl66 I'm getting the
    impression that Ebay is infested with scoundrels!

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Aug 5, 2003
  6. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    NoOneYouKnow Guest

    > Oh well... Between these people and those like dartgirl66 I'm getting

    the
    > impression that Ebay is infested with scoundrels!

    As is the rest of society. Its just that the global reach of the Internet
    brings you into contact with greater numbers of them.

    ---JRE---

    NoOneYouKnow, Aug 5, 2003
  7. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    JC Dill Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:02:43 -0500, dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:

    >Thanks all... Yeah, there are times when its GOOD to be suspicious! I even
    >showed this email to my wife, and even she, who has MUCH more faith in my fellow
    >humans than I, thought it smelled...
    >
    >Oh well... Between these people and those like dartgirl66 I'm getting the
    >impression that Ebay is infested with scoundrels!

    Ebay is infested with scoundrels only in the way that anyplace where
    you find bargains that seem "too good to be true" is infested with
    scoundrels. When you see fair prices (even modest bargains), it's
    usually a legit deal. And it's a great place for bargains on used
    items. I bought my Oly e100rs used off eBay and saved quite a bit.

    jc

    JC Dill, Aug 5, 2003
  8. In article <>,
    dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:

    > One seller says he's in Italy but wants to get back to the US so he's
    > willing to sell brand new, in the box, sealed, US version, S2s for
    > $900. AND he'll send the camera without the money... BUT what he
    > wants is a Western Union transfer in someone ELSE'S name so he can
    > verify that the money is there. Once he sees that he'll ship the
    > camera. Once I verify the camera I call Western Union and change the
    > name so he can pick up the money...
    >
    > I'm not familiar with how Western Union works at all, so can you guys
    > tell me how the scam works in this case? False ID as the other
    > person and both camera and money disappear? Collusion with wire
    > transfer agent?

    Apparently, they don't need even a false ID to take the money.
    <http://scams.flipshark.com/paymenttypes.html#westernunion>

    David Eppstein, Aug 6, 2003