Fuji S2 CR123 Batteries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Warwick T. Price, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I have 2 Fuji S2's... and love them. When I purchased the first one it
    was suggested to me that in order to avoid the costly CR123
    batteries I should purchase the Nikon MB16 battery pack.... which I
    did. After a little playing (thank-you Mr Dremel) I got it
    installed.... all worked great and I was able to use 1800mah
    rechargables in place of the 123s. Because the MB16 isn't designed
    for the S2, as I stated, it required some "fanagling" to get it to
    work and even then if you jar it in the wrong place the camera will
    momentarily lose power. Annoying... but still worth the occasional
    instance of this for the benefit.

    Anyway.... I recently purchased a second S2 and bought a second
    MB16. This one though is being a pain in the ASS!!! No matter what I
    seem to do it keeps cutting out.... the problem is that the contacts
    on the MB16 are barely touching the contacts within the 123 battery
    compartment.

    Well..... in my playing to fix this I accidentally turned the S2 on
    with only the regular AA's installed... no 123's. AND IT WORKS!!!
    I've played around with it for the last hour with only the AA's in
    and everything appears to work. I did a little research on this and
    have found some posts that mention that it is possible to run the S2
    with only AA's installed.

    This long winded message is really to ultimately ask the simple
    question....... if everything appears to work with only the
    AA's... why do we need the 123s??? My understanding was that the
    AA's ran the digital side of the camera (the LCD, the CCD, writing
    to the CF card etc...) while the 123s handled the camera side (the
    Auto Focus, any auto functions). But all this seems to work.

    Before I release the camera to my wife like this... can someone
    confirm that this is going to work???? (I understand of course that
    the AA's will run down quicker.... but if it saves the cut-outs...
    it's worth it!!)

    Thanks in advance,

    Warwick Price

    Warwick T. Price, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Warwick T. Price

    Crownfield Guest

    Warwick T. Price wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have 2 Fuji S2's... and love them. When I purchased the first one it
    > was suggested to me that in order to avoid the costly CR123
    > batteries I should purchase the Nikon MB16 battery pack.... which I
    > did. After a little playing (thank-you Mr Dremel) I got it
    > installed.... all worked great and I was able to use 1800mah
    > rechargables in place of the 123s. Because the MB16 isn't designed
    > for the S2, as I stated, it required some "fanagling" to get it to
    > work and even then if you jar it in the wrong place the camera will
    > momentarily lose power. Annoying... but still worth the occasional
    > instance of this for the benefit.
    >
    > Anyway.... I recently purchased a second S2 and bought a second
    > MB16. This one though is being a pain in the ASS!!! No matter what I
    > seem to do it keeps cutting out.... the problem is that the contacts
    > on the MB16 are barely touching the contacts within the 123 battery
    > compartment.
    >
    > Well..... in my playing to fix this I accidentally turned the S2 on
    > with only the regular AA's installed... no 123's. AND IT WORKS!!!
    > I've played around with it for the last hour with only the AA's in
    > and everything appears to work. I did a little research on this and
    > have found some posts that mention that it is possible to run the S2
    > with only AA's installed.
    >
    > This long winded message is really to ultimately ask the simple
    > question....... if everything appears to work with only the
    > AA's... why do we need the 123s??? My understanding was that the
    > AA's ran the digital side of the camera (the LCD, the CCD, writing
    > to the CF card etc...) while the 123s handled the camera side (the
    > Auto Focus, any auto functions). But all this seems to work.
    >
    > Before I release the camera to my wife like this... can someone
    > confirm that this is going to work???? (I understand of course that
    > the AA's will run down quicker.... but if it saves the cut-outs...
    > it's worth it!!)

    the built in flash will not work.

    cr123's cost about a dollar each.
    use them when needed.