Fuji S1 pricing vs value question: $500 Nikon SLR?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by siralbabin@aol.com, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,
    I've been looking at used lenses and camera bodys at local shops and
    have seen a few interesting items which I'd like to supplement my
    current Nikon 35mm equipment with.
    One dealer has a Fuji S1 SLR with asst software, AC adaptor, manuals,
    etc in very nice condition. Asking price is around $500 which seems a
    bit pricey after looking on Ebay. The advantage of shopping locally is
    I can actually see what I'm paying for and the shopkeeper is very
    enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the camera and the Fuji film-like
    color characteristics it renders.
    This body is based on the older Nikon N60 so has some limitations which
    could certainly be worked around.
    I understand that the newer Fuji S2 was/is plagued with CCD and other
    problems but have read little negative (except complaints about
    multiple battery system, cheap N60 body build and minimum 320 ISO
    speed) commentary.
    I can't really afford a modern Nikon 50 or 70 D or a possible S1
    doorstop now but want a Nikon-mount D-SLR now. Apparently this S1 is
    only a few years old and seems to work very well.
    Please, any constructive help, pro and con is welcome.
    I'd like to finalize a deal on this body soon but could use a push
    either way.
    Thanks,
    Al
    , Nov 3, 2005

  2. photo35744 Guest

    If you can buy the Fuji S1 for $500.00 then do so. Mine cost almost
    $2,000.00 when I brought it new about 3 years ago.

    photo35744, Nov 3, 2005

  3. [BnH] Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I've been looking at used lenses and camera bodys at local shops and
    > have seen a few interesting items which I'd like to supplement my
    > current Nikon 35mm equipment with.
    > One dealer has a Fuji S1 SLR with asst software, AC adaptor, manuals,
    > etc in very nice condition. Asking price is around $500 which seems a
    > bit pricey after looking on Ebay.

    <-- if the guy is trying to sell you the S1 for $500 [ I assume in USD ? ]
    wait a while and just get the D50.
    S1 Pro at that price is prone for headache later, esp they can't use G lens
    or was it AF-S lens ... can't remember.
    [BnH], Nov 3, 2005
  4. Albert Ma Guest

    the S1 has beautiful colors. and it's a simple camera...with quite a bundle
    of limitations, and it's quite noisy, can't interface with many newer
    flashes completely--although it works with older flashes like SB-20, SB-24
    for full TTL. works with G lenses, but does not AF with AF-S lenses,
    although it meters with them.

    but it's simple, and you figure it out pretty much without too many
    headaches. And it's not necessary to recharge batteries; you can carry a
    bunch of these AA and CR123...

    But the color says it all. see this:

    http://home.comcast.net/~ctalbertma/DSCF3199.JPG

    no post processing at all...image just out of the S1.

    Albert Ma, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Albert Ma Guest

    Albert Ma, Nov 3, 2005