Fuji resurrects the 2/3" sensor

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Sep 1, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Sep 1, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Could be interesting. But the camera is larger than the NEX series.
    >http://dpreview.com/news/1109/11090102fujifilmx10.asp

    It is a clear competitor to the Canon PowerShot G12 and the Nikon
    Coolpix P7100. The camera body is of a comparable size.

    The MX10's CMOS sensor (made by Fuji with EXR pixel layout) appears
    slightly larger than the Canon and Nikon sensors - about 30% in terms
    of area. The Canon G12 and Nikon both use CCD sensors made by Sony.

    The option of a 6MP image with increased dynamic range is of interest,
    but inevitably most people will want to shoot the full 12 MP image.

    I have a strong suspicion that the Fujifilm MX10 body is made by the
    same contractor that makes either the Canon G12 or Nikon P7100. It is
    likely to be the same contractor that made the Hasselblad XPan and
    XPan II (Fujifilm TX-1 and TX-2), the Contax G Series and various
    Fujifilm medium format film cameras, and now makes the Fujifilm GF670
    medium format film camera, better known outside Japan as the
    Voigtländer Bessa III 667.

    Bruce, Sep 1, 2011

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 1, 10:07 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >Could be interesting.  But the camera is larger than the NEX series.
    > >http://dpreview.com/news/1109/11090102fujifilmx10.asp

    > It is a clear competitor to the Canon PowerShot G12 and the Nikon
    > Coolpix P7100.  The camera body is of a comparable size.
    >
    > The MX10's CMOS sensor (made by Fuji with EXR pixel layout) appears
    > slightly larger than the Canon and Nikon sensors - about 30% in terms
    > of area. The Canon G12 and Nikon both use CCD sensors made by Sony.
    >
    > The option of a 6MP image with increased dynamic range is of interest,
    > but inevitably most people will want to shoot the full 12 MP image.
    >
    > I have a strong suspicion that the Fujifilm MX10 body is made by the
    > same contractor that makes either the Canon G12 or Nikon P7100.  It is
    > likely to be the same contractor that made the Hasselblad XPan and
    > XPan II (Fujifilm TX-1 and TX-2), the Contax G Series and various
    > Fujifilm medium format film cameras, and now makes the Fujifilm GF670
    > medium format film camera, better known outside Japan as the
    > Voigtländer Bessa III 667.

    Sanyo? I also read that they could be getting back into DSLR's though
    which bodies they use (theirs or Nikon's) is a question.
    I wish Fuji well, I like their company's products for the most part.
    Maybe because they were 3/4 Nikon.

    RichA, Sep 1, 2011
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >I've just returned from lugging a G12 halfway round the world and back
    >and inspite of taking several thousand shots I have yet to reach a
    >point where I am happy using it.. The X10 looks as though it will deal
    >with most of my criticisms.

    And those criticisms are ... ?

    >The only area where the G12 may maintain a clear advantage is in the
    >self retracting and capping lens. For most of the time I carried the
    >G12 in the side pocket of my (fisherman's) jacket. All I had to do to
    >get it ready was pull it out of the pocket and push the power button.

    Do you think the X10 won't do that?

    Bruce, Sep 1, 2011
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 23:07:15 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >>>I've just returned from lugging a G12 halfway round the world and back
    >>>and inspite of taking several thousand shots I have yet to reach a
    >>>point where I am happy using it.. The X10 looks as though it will deal
    >>>with most of my criticisms.

    >>And those criticisms are ... ?

    >To be the subject of a forthcoming article.

    I will look forward to that!

    >>>The only area where the G12 may maintain a clear advantage is in the
    >>>self retracting and capping lens. For most of the time I carried the
    >>>G12 in the side pocket of my (fisherman's) jacket. All I had to do to
    >>>get it ready was pull it out of the pocket and push the power button.

    >>Do you think the X10 won't do that?

    >I don't know. That's why I wrote "'may' maintain a clear advantage".
    >But I suspect that with it's manually fitted lens cap it will lag
    >behind the G10 in this respect. I don't think that will much matter
    >though.

    The separate lens cap is certainly an issue. I agree that the G
    Series arrangement mostly works well, but I think there is an issue
    with earlier G Series lenses getting scratched by the closing
    shutters. Perhaps Fujifilm wished to avoid that?

    Perhaps Fujifilm saw an opportunity to keep the family resemblance
    with the X100 which also has a separate lens cap, and a lens that
    doesn't fully retract.

    I use a Canon PowerShot G9 and the fully retracting lens allows me to
    carry it in a trouser or jacket pocket. Definitely a good feature,
    and one that might cause me to avoid the X10.

    Another reason not to buy the X10 is the shortness of the tele end at
    112mm (equivalent). I value the 200mm of my G9 although I don't use
    it often. I would also like something wider than 35mm at the other
    end, so I am likely to replace the G9 before long, probably with a
    Nikon Coolpix P7100 which has a 28-200mm (equivalent) lens that seems
    to be quite a good performer.

    In the meantime, I bought a Canon 0.75X conversion lens that gives me
    something around 28mm on the G9, but it is *huge* and quite heavy.
    Together with its adaptor it feels like it almost doubles the weight
    and volume of what I carry. :-(

    Bruce, Sep 2, 2011
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 1, 11:34 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2011-09-01 05:18:48 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >
    > > Could be interesting.  But the camera is larger than the NEX series.

    > >http://dpreview.com/news/1109/11090102fujifilmx10.asp

    > Now that does look like an interesting offering with good possibilities.
    > As far as being "larger" than the NEX series, just hang almost any lens
    > on the Sony and it is hardly worth your gripe.

    It's not a gripe (the NEX is too small, IMO) it's an observation.

    RichA, Sep 2, 2011
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 2, 12:32 am, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 21:04:18 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    > >Eric Stevens <> wrote in

    > >interest,

    > >is

    > >> I've just returned from lugging a G12 halfway round the world and back
    > >> and inspite of taking several thousand shots I have yet to reach a
    > >> point where I am happy using it.. The X10 looks as though it will deal
    > >> with most of my criticisms.

    > >> The only area where the G12 may maintain a clear advantage is in the
    > >> self retracting and capping lens. For most of the time I carried the
    > >> G12 in the side pocket of my (fisherman's) jacket. All I had to do to
    > >> get it ready was pull it out of the pocket and push the power button.

    > >> Regards,

    > >> Eric Stevens

    > >You were wearing a fisherman's jacket you could have taken a real camera
    > >with you.  The Olympus E-PL3 and Panasonic's 14mm f2.8 would be terrific,
    > >despite the fixed focal length.

    > Aah, but I don't own any of those and the object was to avoid carrying
    > a Nikon D300 wherever I went.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    I put a D300 in a pocket once. :) A down 3/4" winter jacket.

    RichA, Sep 2, 2011
  8. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    RichA wrote:

    > Could be interesting. But the camera is larger than the NEX series.
    >
    > http://dpreview.com/news/1109/11090102fujifilmx10.asp

    Oh, wow...yet >another< "retro rangefinder" design! Is that all Fuji
    does, anymore?

    Stylishness isn't everything, and I'd be brain-damaged to sink circa
    $600.00 USD, into such a glorified P&S camera.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Sep 3, 2011
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/3/2011 12:34 PM, Neil Harrington wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    >> Could be interesting. But the camera is larger than the NEX series.
    >>
    >> http://dpreview.com/news/1109/11090102fujifilmx10.asp

    > Looks very interesting indeed, especially their method of getting higher
    > dynamic range which seems unique to me. And I sure like the idea of having
    > manual zoom.
    >
    > Now if only it's not too pricey . . .

    I prefer a manual zoom.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 3, 2011
  10. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/4/2011 12:38 AM, Rich wrote:
    > PeterN<> wrote in

    >>> Looks very interesting indeed, especially their method of getting
    >>> higher dynamic range which seems unique to me. And I sure like the
    >>> idea of having manual zoom.
    >>>
    >>> Now if only it's not too pricey . . .

    >> I prefer a manual zoom.
    >>

    > And you probably preferred manual focusing when AF was just introduced.

    It so happens that my zoom lenses are all manual. I still use my Coolpix
    since I converted in to IR and prefer a manual zoom. I use autofocus for
    wildlife, but for my macro work and landscape work prefer manual focus
    for exact control. Exactly what is wrong with that.

    --
    Peter
    Autofocus is a tool to be used when appropriate.

    PeterN, Sep 4, 2011
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/1/2011 8:30 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 23:07:15 +0100, Bruce<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Eric Stevens<> wrote:
    >>> I've just returned from lugging a G12 halfway round the world and back
    >>> and inspite of taking several thousand shots I have yet to reach a
    >>> point where I am happy using it.. The X10 looks as though it will deal
    >>> with most of my criticisms.

    >> And those criticisms are ... ?

    > To be the subject of a forthcoming article.

    Please let us when it's ready. Any chance before Photo-Expo in NY?

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 5, 2011