    Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate having
    to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.

    Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks
    Mexican George, Feb 1, 2005

  2. Mexican George

    P.R.Brady Guest

    Mexican George wrote:
    > My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
    > helped my aged brain immensely.
    >
    > I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that feature.
    > Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate having
    > to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.
    >
    > Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks

    George,
    I'm possibly not alone in wondering: What is an autosave feature?
    Phil
    P.R.Brady, Feb 1, 2005

  3. Mexican George

    Ralph Mowery Guest

    "P.R.Brady" <> wrote in message
    > Mexican George wrote:
    > > My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
    > > helped my aged brain immensely.
    > >
    > > I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that

    feature.
    > > Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate

    having
    > > to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.
    > >
    > > Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks
    > >

    > George,
    > I'm possibly not alone in wondering: What is an autosave feature?
    > Phil

    The Fuji came with some software that lets you (in Windows) pull down the
    File menue and with one click of the mouse it will save the pix from the cam
    to the directory of your preset choice.
    Ralph Mowery, Feb 2, 2005
  4. Mexican George

    P.R.Brady Guest

    Ralph Mowery wrote:
    > "P.R.Brady" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mexican George wrote:
    >>
    >>>My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
    >>>helped my aged brain immensely.
    >>>
    >>>I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that

    > feature.
    >
    >>>Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate

    > having
    >
    >>>to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.
    >>>
    >>>Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks
    >>>

    >>George,
    >> I'm possibly not alone in wondering: What is an autosave feature?
    >>Phil
    >>

    > The Fuji came with some software that lets you (in Windows) pull down the
    > File menue and with one click of the mouse it will save the pix from the cam
    > to the directory of your preset choice.

    I thought that the S5100/5500 did that, but that it chose filenames
    which did not match the sequence numbers shown on the camera.

    Actually, I am not very impressed by the Fuji software - no complaints
    about the way it allows you to treat the camera as a disk storage
    device, displays the images or manipulates them (even if a bit limited)
    but I HATE the disk interface. Applications like Word, Excel offer you
    the option of 'save' ie over-write original or 'save as' which saves to
    a new file. The Fuji software chooses itself when to write (eg when
    rotating an image just to view it) or only gives the choice of FOLDER
    and not filename to save to. Stupid!

    Okay, ranting over with. I feel better now, but I have to find an
    alternative.

    Phil
    P.R.Brady, Feb 2, 2005
  5. Mexican George

    DaveC Guest

    The way the camera communicates to the computer was a criteria when deciding
    on my camera (an Olympus).

    If you have to use an application program or utility to download files from
    the camera, it's just more steps to deal with (launch the app; set (or
    change) the destination directory, etc.)

    I prefer the "external disk drive" method. The Olympus cameras (and some
    other brands, by the way) appear as an external disk drive when you connect
    them to the computer. You then just select and drag the images to the folder
    of your choice.

    This is a function of the camera (I think it's referred to as "USB mass
    storage"), and is a design decision made by the engineers (and marketing
    managers) for whatever reason.

    George, I understand how confusing "one more step" can be, sometimes. While
    you can't change the way your current camera communicates with your computer,
    you can choose your next camera with this in mind.

    Enjoy,

    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
    DaveC, Mar 17, 2005
  6. Mexican George

    meow Guest

    I cant find this thread, however it looks as if someone was questioning that
    the Fuji has to use picture software to extract pictures from a Fuji fine
    pix. I have a E550 and it shows up as a disk drive.

    meow, Mar 17, 2005
  7. Mexican George

    DaveC Guest

    Here's the original post. He was looking for Fuji Auto Save function on his
    new camera. It seems to not be there.

    -=-=-=-

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:03:44 -0800, meow wrote
    (in article <42391c83$>):

    DaveC, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Mexican George

    Drude Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Here's the original post. He was looking for Fuji Auto Save function on his
    > new camera. It seems to not be there.
    >
    > -=-=-=-
    >
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:03:44 -0800, meow wrote
    > (in article <42391c83$>):
    >
    > > I cant find this thread, however it looks as if someone was questioning that
    > > the Fuji has to use picture software to extract pictures from a Fuji fine
    > > pix. I have a E550 and it shows up as a disk drive.

    > -=-=-=-
    >
    > > My old camera was a Fuji A201 and it had a great Auto Save function that
    > > helped my aged brain immensely.
    > >
    > > I just bought a S5100 and it looks like they no longer have that feature.
    > > Does anyone know anything about that. I am 83 years old and I hate having
    > > to do extra steps? I gather they must have dropped but why I wonder.
    > >
    > > Sure would appreciate an answer from somebody. Thanks

    I have an S5100. No, I don't believe it has an autosave feature... It
    uses the Finepix Software by default, but YOU don't need to use it. You
    can disable the Autoplay feature for that drive and simply click on the
    drive letter (on my computer it comes up as Removable Drive G)under My
    Computer, or, as I have done, put a shortcut to that drive on your
    desktop. Or, alternately, if you WANT to use the software and it isn't
    coming up by default (autoplay is extremely buugy in XP), plug the
    camera in, right-click on the drive and turn ON the Autoplay feature.

    Personally, the first way is easiest...just open up the drive and drag
    the pictures to your desktop...takes about 20 seconds.

    Hope this helped in some way...

    -Drude
    Drude, Mar 17, 2005
  9. Mexican George

    meow Guest

    yes that similar to what I do. I plug in the USB cable, turn on the camera,
    the computer finds it as a drive. I open the folder with the pictures and
    CUT the files and PAST them onto my desktop or wherever. That way there
    removed from the flash card at the same time.

    Maybe he doesn't use Win XP and 98 cant find the camera because of the
    driver?

    meow, Mar 17, 2005