    Any1 tried yet?

    Thanks

    Curt

    Curt, Dec 17, 2003

  2. "Curt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi !
    >
    > I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
    > now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.
    >
    > Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
    > Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???

    Yes, but I'm not so sure that 2 gig of storage is a great way to go. That
    would be about 440 jpegs at max resolution. Putting all of your eggs into
    one basket. If the card craps out, you can lose a heck of a lot of pictures.
    Most dSLR users seem to use multiple 500meg cards.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Curt

    SimonG Ltd. Guest

    "Howard McCollister" <> wrote in message

    > "Curt" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi !
    > >
    > > I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
    > > now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.
    > >
    > > Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
    > > Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???
    > >

    > Yes, but I'm not so sure that 2 gig of storage is a great way to go. That
    > would be about 440 jpegs at max resolution. Putting all of your eggs into
    > one basket. If the card craps out, you can lose a heck of a lot of

    pictures.
    > Most dSLR users seem to use multiple 500meg cards.

    I shoot RAW, 12MB per file on 2 x 512 MB CF cards and also use an X-Drive
    with a 20GB laptop HDD . . . my biggest problem is battery life in the
    X-Drive, I need more . . . 5 x of the 2GB Microdrives would be nice (833
    shots) . . . bit too much money for me though . . .

    cheers, SimonG

    SimonG Ltd., Dec 18, 2003
  4. Curt

    Jim Polaski Guest

    In article <>,
    (Curt) wrote:

    > Hi !
    >
    > I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
    > now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.
    >
    > Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
    > Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???
    >
    > Any1 tried yet?
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Curt

    Fuji says the camera is compatible with Microdrives and makes no
    distinction about size.

    They do say that it is not compatible with some CF cards. I tried lexar
    and they were ok as was sandisk. Fuji says some don't, so go try one
    before you buy.

    --
    Regards,
    JP

    Jim Polaski, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Curt

    Curt Guest

    > Yes, but I'm not so sure that 2 gig of storage is a great way to go.

    You say "yes" ... are your really sure about it? I mean, I know that
    the 2 GB
    microdrive fits into the slot since it has the same size as the 1 GB.
    But the really important question is: Is it recognized by the camera?

    Do know if there are differences in reading or writing speeds among
    the different devices?

    thanks

    curt

    Curt, Dec 19, 2003
  6. "Curt" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes, but I'm not so sure that 2 gig of storage is a great way to go.

    > You say "yes" ... are your really sure about it? I mean, I know that
    > the 2 GB
    > microdrive fits into the slot since it has the same size as the 1 GB.
    > But the really important question is: Is it recognized by the camera?
    >
    > Do know if there are differences in reading or writing speeds among
    > the different devices?

    The Fuji S2 Pro uses FAT16 file formatting for its storage devices. FAT16
    only supports up to 2.2gigabytes, so a 4 gig CF card, although it will fit
    the Type II slot, will still only be able to store 2.2 gigabytes.

    AFAIK, the only cameras that can currently use CF cards bigger than 2 gig
    are Canon 1Ds, S45, S230, G3 and the Kodak 14n since they all use FAT32
    formatting. A 4 gig CF card can be used, but since it has to be formatted in
    FAT16, it will only address 2.2 gig. This is a software issue, and
    theoretically could be addressed in most other cameras with a firmware
    upgrade if the companies thought it was a marketable feature.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Curt

    Pumpkin King Guest

    I was tempted into the 2.2gb magicstor microdrive and found it
    defective (died after a couple hours of shooting). That appears to
    be a common experience unfortunately from the few reviews I've been
    able to dig up. I have a 1GB IBM, a 340mb IBM, and now 1GB Hitachi
    (replacing the returned 2.2gb model) which are serving nicely. (EOS
    1D and EOS D60).

    Upgrade Nation gave awesome service on the return though, much better
    than other companies I've dealt with.

    -mg

    Pumpkin King, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Curt

    Don B Guest

    Jim Polaski wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > (Curt) wrote:
    >

    >>Hi !
    >>
    >>I'm a proud owner of a brandnew Fujifim finepix s2 pro for two days
    >>now. A brilliat camera. Much better than th e Nikon D100. And cheaper.
    >>
    >>Fuji says the camera is compatible with 1GB Microdrives. I've seen 2,2
    >>Gigabyte Micodrives for only 50$ more. Do they work in a S2 Pro???
    >>
    >>Any1 tried yet?
    >>

    >>Thanks
    >>

    >>Curt
    >>

    >Fuji says the camera is compatible with Microdrives and makes no
    >distinction about size.
    >
    >They do say that it is not compatible with some CF cards. I tried lexar
    >and they were ok as was sandisk. Fuji says some don't, so go try one
    >before you buy.

    I am using a 1 gig IBM microdrive in mine, and have also used Sandisk,
    Olympus, and PNY smartmedia cards in it.

    Don

    Don B, Dec 21, 2003