    the settings to make this camera more user friendly.

    I'm considering returning it for another Olympus. The Olympus was so
    easy to use and the pictures were usually great.

    General Specific, Feb 28, 2005

  2. >I just bought a Fuji FinePix E510 to replace my broken Olympus D-Series
    > digital camera.
    >
    > I find that the Fuji FinePix is very sensative to jitter or motion. So
    > much so that I am having a hard time taking usable pictures.
    >
    > Since this camera has many more setting that the Olympus, I figured I
    > would check here if this is a defect or if anyone knows how to tweak
    > the settings to make this camera more user friendly.

    I'm not all that happy with the E510 I purchased; I was in Hawaii, and
    really wanted something with a wide lens, and the E510 was the only thing
    available with a 28mm wide. But, it seems to consistently have problems with
    white balance, and the focus is unpredictable. Sometimes it's spot-on,
    others nowhere close. I don't think it's a jitter or motion issue, since
    that's entirely a function of shutter speed and the wide/telephoto setting,
    and you have reasonable control over each of those. Also, exposure can be
    all over the map as well (in auto mode).

    I came to the E510 after a series of Olympus cameras, including the D40,
    which I didn't appreciate enough until I got the Fuji. I'll be interested in
    hearing if you send it in and whether they find anything; I suspect there's
    a firmware bug that gives it trouble. I'll be sending mine in when my
    brother's through using it for a bike ride in Hawaii. The tough part is
    trying to quantify exactly what goes on with it. The exif data tells a
    peculiar tale, and there are a number of pieces of info that have nothing to
    explain what they are.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

    Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles, Feb 28, 2005

  3. General Specific

    Drude Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I just bought a Fuji FinePix E510 to replace my broken Olympus D-Series
    > digital camera.
    >
    > I find that the Fuji FinePix is very sensative to jitter or motion. So
    > much so that I am having a hard time taking usable pictures.
    >
    > Since this camera has many more setting that the Olympus, I figured I
    > would check here if this is a defect or if anyone knows how to tweak
    > the settings to make this camera more user friendly.
    >
    > I'm considering returning it for another Olympus. The Olympus was so
    > easy to use and the pictures were usually great.

    I just got a FinePix S5100. I found it was sensitive as well... I'm not
    overly familiar with the E510...so I'm not sure of all of its settings,
    but with mine, I've found that automatic mode isn't the greatest for
    indoor or low-light photos: it's very sensitive (it has no image
    stabilizer)... but it's great outside. I find the trick with these
    cameras is to shoot in Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or fully
    Manual modes.

    I'm really impressed with the pictures I get, but, then again, I have
    always preferred Manual Mode on any digital camera I've ever used.

    It all depends on how you use it... if you just want a point n shoot...
    maybe you need something with less options. But, if you're patient and
    learn the different settings (I'm not an expert yet by far, but am
    having a great time learning)you can take amazing pictures with the
    FinePix.

    Drude

    Drude, Mar 1, 2005
  4. Druuuude!

    I will try those settings.

    If I can't fix it, I'm returning it.

    General Specific, Mar 1, 2005
  5. General Specific

    David Chien Guest

    All of these complaints -- why not try keep the camera 'still' when
    taking a picture? Almost all the time, the problem is with the user
    shaking the camera = blurry photos. It's almost never a case where the
    camera is at fault for making blurry photos. (This applies regardless
    of whether it's film or digital.)

    Key here is to FREEZE completely like a stone, GENTLY depress the
    shutter button with a smooth action, and don't move until the photo has
    been taken.

    heck, I even recall a Popular Photography or similar magazine article
    where they tested this --- holding still and gently depressing the
    shutter button helped increase the number of good photos taken.

    You can also adjust the ISO speed manually to use a 200 ISO speed
    setting or higher to increase the shutter speed.

    But keep in mind, when light levels drop enough to slow shutter speeds
    down, there's nothing any camera can do by itself to help give you a
    better photo unless you hold it still.

    Exception being cameras with lens-stabilization systems such as the
    Canon, Minolta, Leica long-zoom lens-stabilized models. Leica also has
    the FX5/7 models which are smaller and are lens-stabilized. If you
    consider these models first, you may find that it fixes the problem.

    David Chien, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Hold the camera still, why didn't I think of that?

    I guess you've never had one of these Fuji's? I held the camera still,
    or still enough for any other camera I've owned. I took a lot of
    pictures last night, under various conditions, and I have to conclude
    that this is a difficult camera.

    Example: With my Olympus Stylus 300 I could take pictures of my kids
    riding their bikes. With the Fuji, if they blink they come out blurry
    like ghosts.

    General Specific, Mar 1, 2005
  7. General Specific

    Sel Guest

    General Specific wrote:
    > Hold the camera still, why didn't I think of that?
    >
    > I guess you've never had one of these Fuji's? I held the camera still,
    > or still enough for any other camera I've owned. I took a lot of
    > pictures last night, under various conditions, and I have to conclude
    > that this is a difficult camera.
    >
    > Example: With my Olympus Stylus 300 I could take pictures of my kids
    > riding their bikes. With the Fuji, if they blink they come out blurry
    > like ghosts.

    Please don't take any of the following the wrong way, all I want to do
    is help.

    I have an E550 and don't have these problems.

    Make sure you are not using Auto, use shutter priority set above 500,
    set iso to 200 in daylight. Don't hold the camera in front of you
    looking throught the LCD use the viewfinder this will help keep the
    camera steady. Practice keeping both eyes open to help you follow the
    action. Don't jab at the shutter button. Aticipate. Practice it costs
    nothing.

    This is all standard stuff. Have a good read of the manual, most of this
    is in there. The E510 is a good little camera with plenty of features
    and good image quality, spend some time learning about it and normal
    photography techniques. (Plenty of good books available).

    Fuji E550, s7000.

    Sel, Mar 24, 2005