    Brian

    --
    Delete "lose this" to reply

    Brian, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Brian

    Mike Henley Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I have recently bought this camera and find that when either downloading
    > or charging, the top of the camera by the battery area gets very hot. has
    > anyone had experience of this with a camera?
    > T I A
    > Brian

    Are you using the cradle and leaving it on (I forgot, you leave it on
    play or something and the camera stays on and that's when it gets hot)?

    I stopped using the cradle long ago. Get a little card reader and use
    that. For charging just plug the charger cable directly into the
    camera, not into the cradle. If you must use the cradle then switch off
    the camera right after you download the pictures, don't leave it on
    indefinitely while it's in the cradle.

    Mike Henley, Nov 1, 2005

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message

    > Brian wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >> I have recently bought this camera and find that when either downloading
    >> or charging, the top of the camera by the battery area gets very hot.
    >> has
    >> anyone had experience of this with a camera?
    >> T I A
    >> Brian
    >>

    > Are you using the cradle and leaving it on (I forgot, you leave it on
    > play or something and the camera stays on and that's when it gets hot)?
    >

    > I stopped using the cradle long ago. Get a little card reader and use
    > that. For charging just plug the charger cable directly into the
    > camera, not into the cradle. If you must use the cradle then switch off
    > the camera right after you download the pictures, don't leave it on
    > indefinitely while it's in the cradle.

    > Thanks for the reply Mike.

    As you say I am using the cradle but will heed your advice.
    btw. how do you find this camera? I am still getting used to it and find
    some photos a little blurred (may be I am shaking )
    any tips ?
    Brian

    Brian, Nov 1, 2005
  4. Brian

    Mike Henley Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > Thanks for the reply Mike.

    > As you say I am using the cradle but will heed your advice.
    > btw. how do you find this camera? I am still getting used to it and find
    > some photos a little blurred (may be I am shaking )
    > any tips ?
    > Brian

    Hi. A very fine camera, though keep in mind that it's different from
    most other cameras; other cameras give you a 'final' image, whereas the
    f810 give you an image optimised for editing, which in my opinion is
    better than a 'final' image.

    I can answer you in detail but I'll try to keep the answer brief and
    simple.

    - Not sure what you mean by photos being a little blurred, but if this
    is something you're getting from the 12mp photos then I suggest you
    downsize them to 6-8mp and you'll likely get a better result.
    - If you find some photos a little dark you may want to adjust them
    with a levels layer, a gamma curve layer, or adjusting the histogram
    (find a gimp tutorial about adjusting levels, gamma curve, or
    histogram)
    - A an easy way to do the above two is to download Picasa from Google
    and use that, there's a slider on the left that allows you to adjust
    the 'light' or 'shade' in the image, I don't remember what it was
    called in picasa, but that was a simple and handy way to do so, and you
    can lighten up the dark images to your liking. You can also use picasa
    to resize down to 6-8mp.
    - If you want to get a little technical about it and hope for possibly
    better results you can use imagemagick to downsize the images. There's
    a recent thread in this newsgroup that I started about it, and some
    noted that it was better than photoshop for downsizing.
    - If you're shooting RAW then you can use DCRAW, a commandline utility,
    again there was a recent thread that I started about it.
    - Alternatively, if you're shooting RAW you can use s7raw
    - You can use photoshop CS2 or the gimp (note though that the free
    dcraw and imagemagick can give better results than photoshop)

    http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/digicam/dcraw/
    http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/9919/s7raw.html
    http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/down_sample/example1.htm