    suppose it would cost?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob Engelhardt, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Never mind .... it just started working again. I hope that it's not
    going to be doing this regularly. Then I might have to get a new
    camera. Ohh noo :cool:

    Bob
    Bob Engelhardt, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Bob Engelhardt wrote:
    > Never mind .... it just started working again. ...

    %^*&&^$#$%, it's back! Dammit!! So, I'm still looking for ideas.
    Bob
    Bob Engelhardt, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Bob Engelhardt

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 14:20:05 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

    > Recently I have been photographing some items for eBay. I have a setup
    > with incandescent lamps and white paper background. I set the camera's
    > white balance to "incandescent" and it was doing a great job:
    > http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/NormalPic.jpg
    >
    > Then ... with the exact same setup it went all yellow, as if the white
    > balance had gone back to "auto":
    > http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/YellowPic.jpg

    It may have gone back to auto, although it's hard to tell with the
    EXIF data stripped from these two pictures. Is it possible that
    these two shots were taken using different shooting modes? Check
    your 1400's manual. The manual for my Fuji S5100 has a table
    showing the available options for each of the camera's shooting
    modes. The desired White Balance can be selected for P, A, S and M
    mode, but the WB appears to revert to Auto WB when the camera is in
    Auto mode, Video mode or any of the Photography Modes (Portrait,
    Landscape, Sports and Night Scene).
    ASAAR, Aug 9, 2006
  5. ASAAR wrote:
    > It may have gone back to auto, although it's hard to tell with the
    > EXIF data stripped from these two pictures. Is it possible that
    > these two shots were taken using different shooting modes? ...

    It definitely was not in Auto mode. Definitely Manual.

    I kind of stumbled onto the answer, I think. It was a matter of the
    content of the picture. I think than the taps were too shiny and the
    camera didn't have a good basis for figuring out what was "white" and
    what wasn't. It worked OK at different angles (shininess affected) and
    when that didn't work I stuck my finger in the shot and that fixed it.
    The finger gave it more not-white to work with, I'm thinking. Kind of a
    nuisance, but at least it's a way to make it work.

    Bob
    Bob Engelhardt, Aug 10, 2006
  6. Bob Engelhardt

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:20:22 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

    >> It may have gone back to auto, although it's hard to tell with the
    >> EXIF data stripped from these two pictures. Is it possible that
    >> these two shots were taken using different shooting modes? ...

    > It definitely was not in Auto mode. Definitely Manual.
    >
    > I kind of stumbled onto the answer, I think. It was a matter of the
    > content of the picture. I think than the taps were too shiny and the
    > camera didn't have a good basis for figuring out what was "white" and
    > what wasn't. It worked OK at different angles (shininess affected) and
    > when that didn't work I stuck my finger in the shot and that fixed it.
    > The finger gave it more not-white to work with, I'm thinking. Kind of a
    > nuisance, but at least it's a way to make it work.

    If it works, great, and you can't argue with success. But if the
    camera was trying to figure out what was "white", that would
    indicate it was in some kind of an Auto WB mode. Didn't you say
    that the 1400 suddenly started producing yellow images when WB was
    set to "incandescent"? I'd think that an "incandescent" setting
    would indicate that the camera knows the color of the light and
    wouldn't have to analyse the subject to figure out how to modify the
    WB.

    As I said, different WB modes can be used depending on the current
    shooting mode. But mechanical switches can sometimes be erratic,
    and (assuming that the 1400 uses a dial rather than menu selections)
    if the 1400's dial was set to P, A, S or M, the camera might have
    actually been stuck in a different mode. If the EXIF data shows the
    shooting mode, you could check it and it would either confirm or
    rule out this possibility.
    ASAAR, Aug 10, 2006
  7. ASAAR wrote:
    > ... I'd think that an "incandescent" setting
    > would indicate that the camera knows the color of the light and
    > wouldn't have to analyse the subject to figure out how to modify the
    > WB.

    That makes sense. My Owner's Manual says this: "... devices such as
    digital still cameras register a white subject as white by first
    adjusting their internal color balance to match the color of the ambient
    light around the subject." That's not real clear, but it's what gave me
    the idea about needing white and not-white in the frame. I'm not going
    to worry about it now that I know how to work around it, but it is curious.

    > As I said, different WB modes can be used depending on the current
    > shooting mode. But mechanical switches can sometimes be erratic,
    > and (assuming that the 1400 uses a dial rather than menu selections)
    > if the 1400's dial was set to P, A, S or M, the camera might have
    > actually been stuck in a different mode.

    The 1400 does use a menu.

    > If the EXIF data shows the shooting mode, you could check it and it
    > would either confirm or rule out this possibility.

    I've never looked at the EXIF data, but I downloaded Exifer and checked
    one of the yellow pix. Under "Makernotes" it showed "1024" for white
    balance, whatever that means. It also showed "Focus Mode" and "Flash
    Mode" as 0, but not a "Shooting Mode".

    Bob
    Bob Engelhardt, Aug 11, 2006
  8. Bob Engelhardt

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:31:19 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

    > I've never looked at the EXIF data, but I downloaded Exifer and checked
    > one of the yellow pix. Under "Makernotes" it showed "1024" for white
    > balance, whatever that means. It also showed "Focus Mode" and "Flash
    > Mode" as 0, but not a "Shooting Mode".

    Irfanview doesn't show anything under "Makernotes", but does have
    an ExposureProgram value listed in the regular EXIF data. After
    checking a number of my Fuji S5100 images randomly, I was able to
    come up with these values:

    > ExposureProgram - 1 (manual control)
    > ExposureProgram - 2 (program normal)
    > ExposureProgram - 3 (aperture priority)
    > ExposureProgram - 4 (shutter priority)

    I haven't used any of the other Photography Shooting Modes, but
    assume that they'd be as clearly defined as the P, A, S and M modes.
    I didn't see any White Balance variable, but perhaps this is how
    it's defined:

    > LightSource - 0 (auto)

    Update: after more checking it turns out that my guess was correct,
    so the information's there. It'll just take some digging to figure
    them all out. These are a few of the values that I've discovered:

    ASAAR, Aug 11, 2006