Fuji film 7000 zoom and black/white archival

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by artemon, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. artemon

    artemon Guest

    I've have been impressed about 7000's sharpness (1600 lm/ph)
    and although not the canon optics quality the detail for monochrome
    work (aberation is less important here I guess) seems be promissing.
    I haven't bought it yet (urgent need btw). so if any proud or less
    proud owner could help
    me in two questions:

    1) does monochore mode in 12M (nominal ok) mode exist and helps
    keep
    file sizes more manegable? without hopefully extra time delays?

    2) how about stability/repeatability of the focus? I use a VERY
    stable rig to archive documents. that keeps the object_plane -to-lens
    distance
    quite constant for A4 size papers. Can this focus be locked in the
    7000?
    ( I know that manual settings cannot be saved, pitty for that,
    but hopefully can be fixed for a couple of hours work?)

    Thanks for your input and if anybody can sugest another camera
    for the above usage maybe Panasonic FZ10? Canon G6 or even A95?

    I really liked the USB 2 support,
    Canon is barking mad to keep the USB1.1 for G6 IMHO

    G. ps DELETE nospam for email
    artemon, Oct 6, 2004

  2. artemon

    artemon Guest

    Corection: monochrome, i.e. grayscale instead of
    monochore surely:)

    (artemon) wrote in message news:<>...
    > 1) does monochrome mode in 12M (nominal ok) mode exist and helps
    > keep
    > file sizes more manegable? without hopefully extra time delays?
    > G. ps DELETE nospam for email

    being on this B/W and grayscale wavelength, the grayscale is always
    8bit (256 grayscales) on digital cameras? I realise the subject
    line refers to B/W when grayscale is more appropriate.
    thanks for the hints.

    But some replies I got raise other questions:
    the battery is not an big issue for me, as I use AC adapter for indoors.
    But the xD memory is less power hugry than CF even for the
    latest batch of S7000 ? is it a general issue with CF?
    artemon, Oct 6, 2004

  3. << But the xD memory is less power hugry than CF even for the
    latest batch of S7000 ? is it a general issue with CF? >>

    I use CF cards with my S7000 and don't notice any battery storage use problems.
    I'm using NiMH sets of 4 and get very satisfactory use for about 200-250 shots
    over time.

    Best,

    Conrad

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon
    Conrad Weiler, Oct 6, 2004
  4. artemon

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > But some replies I got raise other questions:
    > the battery is not an big issue for me, as I use AC adapter for indoors.
    > But the xD memory is less power hugry than CF even for the
    > latest batch of S7000 ? is it a general issue with CF?

    The "battery hungry" problem was solved in later production runs of the
    S7000.

    I believe I read here that if you had an earlier S7000 Fuji would upgrade it
    for you and make the problem go away.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.