    I need something that requires almost no photographic ability at all.

    What are some comparable cameras that are cheaper?

    Thanks

    CNN_news, Dec 4, 2005

  2. CNN_news

    Scott W Guest

    CNN_news wrote:
    > Is the Fuji F10 a good camera for novices to take good pictures indoors
    > and outside?
    >
    > I need something that requires almost no photographic ability at all.
    >
    > What are some comparable cameras that are cheaper?
    >
    > Thanks

    The F10 looks like it takes great photos but the dumb thing has no
    optical viewfinder, which makes it hard to use in bright sunlight.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 4, 2005

  3. CNN_news

    ASAAR Guest

    On 4 Dec 2005 02:06:51 -0800, CNN_news wrote:

    > Is the Fuji F10 a good camera for novices to take good pictures indoors
    > and outside?

    Yes.

    > I need something that requires almost no photographic ability at all.

    The F10 offers little other than fully automatic shooting. You
    can ignore its exposure compensation and white balance settings, but
    you may not be able to find simpler cameras that lack those
    features, nor would they be desirable if you could find them. If
    this camera is beyond the abilities of a novice, then there's little
    left for them to try than really cheap disposable cameras.

    > What are some comparable cameras that are cheaper?

    There are no comparable cameras. At least there are no comparable
    cameras that have the same usable high ISO capability. In other
    words it can take pictures in low light that would be beyond the
    capability of other similar cameras. And that greater sensitivity
    to light means that even when its flash is used, it would have a
    greater range than similar small P&S cameras that also have small,
    weak built-in flash units. If low light picturetaking ability isn't
    a big concern, then you should be able to easily find many
    comparable cameras that are much cheaper.

    ASAAR, Dec 4, 2005
  4. "CNN_news" <> writes:

    > Is the Fuji F10 a good camera for novices to take good pictures indoors
    > and outside?

    I'd say yes. I don't own an F10 though; but I've been studying up on
    them recently, and their competition, because I'm considering adding a
    small point-and-shoot for snapshots to use when I don't feel like
    hauling the DSLR around.

    > I need something that requires almost no photographic ability at all.

    No such animal.

    Well, okay, most cameras these days will handle the focus and exposure
    adequately. But still, where you point it and when exactly you push
    the button are still the main thing determining whether your pictures
    are any good or not.

    > What are some comparable cameras that are cheaper?

    Canon A610 is an obvious one to consider for that. A bit less than
    $100 cheaper, at the cheapest reputable dealers I could find.

    The F10 does much better without flash in low light. The A610 has
    more manual controls (which you probably don't care about; at least at
    first). They take different kinds of memory cards and batteries, and
    you have to buy rechargeable batteries and a charger for the A610
    separately; but it can use AA alkalines in an emergency, and the
    batteries and charger are *cheap*. The A610 has a 4:1 zoom instead of
    a 3:1, with all the extra on the long end.

    Both have pretty darned responsive performance -- quick focus, and not
    much shutter lag after focus is complete. This is the area where many
    of the cheap cameras fall down. Slow response makes any shots of
    children or pets *extremely* challenging; even snapshots of people
    often get an expression other than what you thought you were getting.
    So I think it's very important.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 4, 2005
  5. Am 4 Dec 2005 02:06:51 -0800 schrieb CNN_news:

    > Is the Fuji F10 a good camera for novices to take good pictures indoors
    > and outside?

    Wait for the F11. Better display and contrast - as far as I read somewhere
    ;-)

    > I need something that requires almost no photographic ability at all.

    The F10 offers a very good image quality, but you have to select the right
    settings.

    > What are some comparable cameras that are cheaper?

    No comparable camera ;-)

    Regards,
    Andi

    Andreas Buchner, Dec 5, 2005
  6. CNN_news

    HerHusband Guest

    >> Is the Fuji F10 a good camera for novices to take
    >> good pictures indoors and outside?

    I bought a Fuji F10 earlier this year, because it was supposed to be fast,
    good quality, and long battery life.

    Our old Olympus digital was much larger, and the smaller F10 is nice for
    sticking in your coat pocket and whatnot.

    The big LCD display on the back is great for taking and reviewing your
    pictures.

    The speed when taking a picture isn't as fast as I was hoping, but it's
    still MUCH better than our old Olympus.

    We usually just use the AUTO setting, and the picture quality is great. It
    takes very nice pictures indoors, something our old Olympus pictures would
    be dark and dull. Outdoor pictures are great too, but we never had a
    problem with those anyway.

    Battery life is fantastic! Other than connecting the camera temporarily to
    transfer pics to my computer, I have not charged the battery since I bought
    the camera in July! And the camera still shows a full charge on the
    display. Granted, we probably take less than 30 pictures a month, but our
    old camera would kill batteries within a couple of weeks.

    The biggest negative of the F10 is the cable system. A small cable connects
    to the camera, which then goes out to a small breakout box. There's a USB
    cable from the breakout box to connect to the computer, and the power cable
    which connects to a transformer with yet another cable to the power plug. A
    real spaghetti mess of wires...

    I bought a large 1 gig XD card for our F10 so we could take lots of
    pictures on vacation without swapping cards. It works fine in the camera,
    but the XD card reader I bought won't work with the 1 gig card. In fact, I
    haven't been able to find an INTERNAL card reader that does support the 1
    gig cards. This isn't really a problem with the F10, but it's something to
    consider when you go shopping for a memory card for the F10.

    In any case, I highly recommend the F10!

    Anthony

    HerHusband, Dec 5, 2005
  7. CNN_news

    Guest

    Andreas Buchner wrote:
    > Am 4 Dec 2005 02:06:51 -0800 schrieb CNN_news:
    >
    > > Is the Fuji F10 a good camera for novices to take good pictures indoors
    > > and outside?

    > Wait for the F11. Better display and contrast - as far as I read somewhere
    > ;-)
    >

    > > I need something that requires almost no photographic ability at all.

    > The F10 offers a very good image quality, but you have to select the right
    > settings.
    >
    > > What are some comparable cameras that are cheaper?

    > No comparable camera ;-)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Andi

    Andi,

    What are the "right settings" you recommend? I recently purchased an
    F10. So far the pictures have good color and brightness, but they all
    seem to be slightly blurry or out of focus. There isn't any crispness
    in the photos like I had with my old 4 mg pixel Olympus.

    Thanks!
    LS

    , Dec 27, 2005