    need better flash, more zoom, better low light optics etc.

    For now, we're just looking for something at the lower end.

    Any comments between the two?
    Norm, Dec 8, 2004

  2. I'd probably go the Canon.
    They use better lenses, and it takes CF cards, which are usually cheaper
    than the XD that the fuji takes.
    Plus the canon has that fold out screen....

    David Angelovich, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Norm

    don antoine Guest

    The Fuji F810 is what you need, smaller than the E550 with same zoom and mps
    but some very nice extras.

    VPKtd.64593$...

    don antoine, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Norm

    Norm Guest

    The F810 is a bit more expensive and uses propritary battery. I would
    like to be able to use AA's if possible. Thanks for the comment
    though.

    Anyone else?

    Norm, Dec 9, 2004
  5. Norm

    John Wright Guest

    "Norm" <> wrote
    > I'm having a hard time deciding between the Fuji E550 and Canon A95.
    > Both use AA batteries. 5mp vs 6mp may not be much. Not sure which
    > one works best in low light The E550 has 4x vs 3x zoom on the A95.
    >
    > I'm looking for a camera small enough for my wife to throw in her
    > purse. ....
    > Any comments between the two?

    I am very happy with my Canon A95 - good photos throughout, lots of options
    if you can use them to take better pictures. The main distinguishing
    feature - the 360 degree (effectively) flippable LCD - is very handy indeed;
    you can avoid the sunlight falling on it irrespective of the where the sun
    is, and frame better (put the camera up above your head in a crowd or below
    your knee) without any discomfort. Good powerful flash.

    Because it takes four AA batteries it is a little larger than most similar
    digicams. Goes easily in a man's trouser pocket, but not a shirt pocket. The
    wife may need to get a bigger purse though ... which they all eventually do
    anyway ...

    Regards - JW
    John Wright, Dec 9, 2004
  6. Norm

    Mike Henley Guest

    David Angelovich wrote:
    > I'd probably go the Canon.
    > They use better lenses,

    Fujinon lenses are legendary.

    Mike Henley, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Norm

    Mike Henley Guest

    The Canon a95 is not small. Be sure to handle it at a store before you
    order one online.

    If it's your first digital camera I think the a95 would be better for
    you than the e550, eventhough the e550 is a better camera.
    Mike Henley, Dec 9, 2004
  8. But so are the Canon....

    There was something dodgy about the fuji digital lenses in the e and s
    series... The rep was telling me something about them, but I can't remember
    what... I think it was something about fuji not actually making the lenses,
    but getting someone else to.... It was a few weeks ago, but something just
    stuck in my mind about the fuji digital lenses being not so good....

    David Angelovich, Dec 9, 2004
  9. Norm

    Mike Henley Guest

    David Angelovich wrote:
    > But so are the Canon....

    I'll dare to say, and without a shadow of a doubt in my own mind, that
    fuji lenses are more legendary than the Canons. I had the GA645 medium
    format rangefinder and the Silvi f2.8 black. Google around these groups
    and you'll see how the veterans highly regard them.

    > There was something dodgy about the fuji digital lenses in the e and

    > series... The rep was telling me something about them, but I can't

    remember
    > what... I think it was something about fuji not actually making the

    lenses,
    > but getting someone else to.... It was a few weeks ago, but something

    just
    > stuck in my mind about the fuji digital lenses being not so good....

    Nevermind the rep, here are the tests. The Fuji E550 has a far better
    lens than the Canon A95; no contest. (also has a far better sensor, but
    that's another story)

    "Despite the slightly wider angle of the E550's zoom lens, barrel
    distortion is well controlled at just under 1%. At the telephoto end of
    the zoom there is no measurable distortion at all. We also found no
    evidence of vignetting."

    "A95 - Barrel distortion is - at 2% - fairly average for a camera in
    this class, and certainly doesn't mar real world scenic shots.
    Surprisingly, there is a tiny (0.1%) amount of measurable barrel
    distortion at the telephoto end of the zoom too - though it really
    isn't visible in real world shots."

    Canon PowerShot A95 Horizontal LPH 1450 *1650
    Vertical LPH 1350 *1650
    5° Diagonal LPH + 1000 n/a

    Fujifilm FinePix E550 Horizontal LPH 1550 + 2000
    Vertical LPH 1650 +* 1900
    5° Diagonal LPH + 1000 n/a

    Mike Henley, Dec 9, 2004
  10. Norm

    JohnR Guest

    I have the dRebel (so I'm not accused of taking sides).

    I have the little, cheap 3MP Finpix A330. Side by side testing, It simply
    flogged the Canon 4MP A85. The A330 produces an image slightly superior to
    my old Finpix 6800. See this test:
    http://home.att.net/~jriegle/megapix.htm
    John

    JohnR, Dec 10, 2004