    which is only available on 3M images), the movie mode is sufficiently
    bright indoors, even though the still photos are not.

    Anyone else have this experience?

    fortknight, Dec 3, 2004

  2. fortknight

    Sabineellen Guest

    I've written about this at length. Go to dpreview fuji talk forum and search
    for my posts (username cscltr). These "very dark" images of the e550 are a
    feature, not a fault.

    Also, the assumption is not correct, at least in my real life experience, that
    two cameras at the same settings should give the same exposed image.

    Sabineellen, Dec 4, 2004

  3. fortknight

    fortknight Guest

    Sabineellen wrote:

    > Also, the assumption is not correct, at least in my real life experience, that
    > two cameras at the same settings should give the same exposed image.

    Really?!? My recollection in the film days, was that if I have two
    cameras with the same film, and the same Aperture and the same shutter
    setting, I should get the same amount of exposure. If I needed twice
    the exposure you double the ISO, or you go down 1 full stop (f2.8 to f.2
    for instance), or you doubled the length of the exposure from 1/120th to
    1/60th.

    Is this no longer true??? If not, why not?

    fortknight, Dec 4, 2004
  4. fortknight

    Sabineellen Guest

    >Sabineellen wrote:
    >
    >> Also, the assumption is not correct, at least in my real life experience,

    >that
    >> two cameras at the same settings should give the same exposed image.

    >Really?!? My recollection in the film days, was that if I have two
    >cameras with the same film, and the same Aperture and the same shutter
    >setting, I should get the same amount of exposure. If I needed twice
    >the exposure you double the ISO, or you go down 1 full stop (f2.8 to f.2
    >for instance), or you doubled the length of the exposure from 1/120th to
    >1/60th.
    >
    >Is this no longer true??? If not, why not?

    Film SLRs is a different story altogether. Yes, with film SLRs you're comparing
    like with like. In digital compacts it just isn't so. Ideally it should be, but
    in my experience, and from reviews, it just isn't. Well, it is to some extent,
    but not if you really want to be perfectly accurate about it as you seem to
    prefer.

    Anyhow, have you been to dpreview fuji talk forum and read what I wrote there
    about exposure/contrast issues for the f810/e550?

    If you can't find it email me at sabineellen AT aol DOT com and I'll send you
    direct links.

    Sabineellen, Dec 4, 2004
  5. fortknight <> writes:

    > My understanding is that a given fstop, at a given aperture speed, at
    > a given ISO, at a given ambient light level, should give a similarly
    > exposed image regardless of camera. Correct?
    >
    > Well the e550 seems slow (darker) to me, by at least a couple of
    > stops. In otherwords ISO 400, 1/60, f2.8 which should ordinarily be
    > sufficient for indoor snapshots without flash (am I wrong here, this
    > based on experience), but the e550 images are very dark.

    Don't know that camera, but "indoors" covers *many* f-stops of
    brightness range. I've certainly found ISO 400 inadequate for many
    indoor photos, and marginal even for brightly fluorescent-lit
    classrooms at f2.8 (I mostly had f2 or better available).

    A given ISO / shutter / aperture *should* produce pretty much the same
    brightness with any standard imaging system.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 5, 2004