    helps : - )

    thanks
    , Oct 25, 2005

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The Canon 520, Nikon 4600, and Fuji E510 are
    > all about the same price now. I like wide angle
    > more than tele, so I'm leaning to the Fuji. I read
    > a bunch of comments on it and there were some
    > negative ones, but they were all from the same
    > guy (doesn't mean not valid ) . Anyone out there
    > who's actually used all these ? It'll be for my kids
    > so I can get e-mail pictures of my grandkids if that
    > helps : - )
    >
    > thanks

    I haven't used all of 'em, but I did have a Nikon 4100 which was the
    immediate predecessor of the 4600. Essentially the same camera except the
    4600 has a bigger LCD monitor (which is nice) and probably better red-eye
    reduction, but loses the AF assist light and mike that the 4100 had. On
    balance I think the changes favor the 4600.

    My sister has the 4100 now and absolutely loves it. Her first digital. She
    just got back from a trip to Greece and Turkey with 585 pictures. It's an
    easy camera to use but still offers a number of interesting features that
    other ultracompacts don't have. I think the 4100/4600 are just about perfect
    for someone who doesn't need or want direct control over aperture and
    shutter speed, etc.

    Dunno about those Canon and Fuji models. My own inclination would be to
    avoid Fuji as long as they're still using those pesky xD cards. The SD cards
    used in the small Canons and Nikons are pretty much the standard nowadays,
    which not only means you can get 'em anywhere but you can also get 'em quite
    cheap when they're on sale and/or with rebate, which they usually are
    somewhere. There are probably more cameras and other devices taking SD cards
    than all other memory cards combined. The xD cards on the other hand are
    only used by Olympus and Fuji, as far as I know, which means they will
    probably always be harder to find and more expensive. That may or may not
    matter to you.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Oct 27, 2005